To pre-order Battlefield 4 or not to pre-order?

Should you pre-order Battlefield 4 today or not?

Every time there’s a big game coming out, we’re faced with the inevitable question: should we pre-order or not? Retailers and publishers are pushing pre-orders like there’s no tomorrow, but gamers aren’t always getting a good deal.

Battlefield 4 is arguably one of the most anticipated games of 2013, and there are already plenty of pre-order offers out there. But should you fork down $60 (or even more) at a point where we know little about Battlefield 4? And when we know absolutely nothing about its multiplayer?

Battlefield 4 pre-order or notThose who pre-ordered the previous game in the series, BF3, got a pretty sweet deal. The game turned out to be one of the best Battlefield games to date and sold millions of copies. However, there is no guarantee that its sequel — Battlefield 4 — will be better. So far what we’ve observed from the Battlefield 4 singleplayer campaign looks pretty good, though, but multiplayer still remains to be seen.

If you pre-order Battlefield 4, you’ll get a few perks. Most retail game stores will give you a set of real dog tags, which on the real market are probably worth $2-3 bucks. A better deal can be found at Walmart, where you’ll get a free copy of BF3 when you pre-order. Target will give you a free $5 gift card if you pre-order Battlefield 4 at one of its stores.

No doubt there are plenty of decent deals out there. The things is, if you pre-order and the game turns out to be crap, you’re out of $60 and there isn’t much you can do about it. Just ask those who pre-ordered Medal of Honor Warfighter.

If you’re planning on getting Battlefield 4 Premium, which a lot of gamers are, you won’t be getting much by pre-ordering. Premium will include all the DLC and content that you would get as a bonus by pre-ordering, such as the Drone Strike DLC.

We’re going to wait with our pre-order until we know the first Battlefield 4 multiplayer details (and some gameplay videos as well). After all, most gamers will buy Battlefield 4 for its multiplayer, and since we’ve seen none of it so far, putting down money for the game is a tough proposition.

Have you pre-ordered Battlefield 4? Do you plan on pre-ordering the game later? Let us know in the comments section!

1. Alex
    April 27th, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’ll preorder as soon as i’ve seen more multiplayer content. Wether or not the Bf4-premium deal will be as “good” as the bf3 one, content to be released..

or, if they announce that the Apache makes it into the game, its a preorder instantly.

• mike
      June 24th, 2013 at 8:17 am

A few multiplayer videos havd come out already and by the looks of it with being able to incorperate you ios6 device as squad leader and the better way things are destructable like buildings tip over instead of just crumbling and they have an affect on the map but all in all if you like bf3 you should like bf4 so go on youtube and look for multiplayer
      Personally I pre ordered it and I thought it looked amazing

2. SgtDeathAdder
    April 27th, 2013 at 10:40 am

I will not pre-order- 1 week after the launch the game there will be the ‘premium’ package, at lower price, and I usually don’t pre-order games that i din’t tried yet, i bought BF3 because I tried the demo, and it was awesome, but we’ll see if BF3.5 worth it.

3. Klaus9090
    April 27th, 2013 at 11:24 am

BF4 will be the first part of the series that I won’t buy at release.
    I know and love the franchise now since I first played first-person shooters at all, but I won’t pay 60€ at Release and then pay 50€ for premium at it’s release in 2014.
    I’ll wait for the Release of the BF4 Premium Edition.

• Brian L
      April 27th, 2013 at 11:49 am

Same here!

• TopSsss
      May 5th, 2013 at 4:12 am

Same here

4. Brian L
    April 27th, 2013 at 11:46 am

I disagree with you about people who pre-ordered BF3. I mean, it is a perfect 10 in my book but people who pre-ordered got screwed on DLC. With Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when I pre-ordered I got premium edition. However, when I pre-ordered BF3 there was no premium option and premium came out a couple of months after release for about the same price as regular BF3 on release day. When that came out I could buy all the DLC for another $50 or sell my game and buy Premium Edition for $70. I ended up doing the latter. So to make an extremely long story slightly shorter, I’m not preordering a goddamn thing!

5. jalalalalabar
    April 27th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I think many people (include myself and some of my friends) are still waiting to see will they make the premium edition before the game release. As all people know that they are going to make premium membership thing again and this is just matter of time.

To be honest, I don’t want to spend extra 60 euro for it…if my memory is correct than they made BF3 premium edition 8 months after released and it is only costing 59.99Euro (by the time) which myself and many of people need to spend extra 60 euro for it (Based game on Origin 60 + 60 = 120Euro) and this time they make BF4 Digital Deluxe for 70Euro (standard still stay at 60Euro) Which later on when they release the Premium membership for BF4 would be another 60Euro which will be 130Euro in total…

But however, even if they make BF4 premium edition for pre-order. I already can imagine it would be something like 120 Euro. And I am not willing to spend that much of money on a game that I know nothing of…

Deep down, I dont think EA will make dump decision like releasing premium edition that early as this way they have to make the game cheaper than 120 Euro to convince people to preorder it…

So I already giving up that they will make BF4 premium edition for pre-order any time sooner than E3 2014…

Realistically speaking, I am not going to spend 70 Euro on a game that I have nearly zero information (MP). On the other hand I may preorder it from other online shop for something like 35Euro…

I still will get the so called premium dlc as it is available for all preorder.

I already got the BF4 beta access since I owned BF3 premium.

The only difference is Origin are giving out a bonus content (I assume it would be something like the specact pack in BC2 and BF3 which is a few character camo and a few dogtag.)

BF3 specact pack is available on Origin for a few euro (I think its 6 euro)…

So, now. Here is the question, why I need to bother to get the game on Origin for 70Euro? I can simple get the game for 41 Euro (35 + 6) or get 2 copy for BF4 (I wont be the one anyway.)

6. Taco Tony
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I am waiting for a pre-order deal that includes premium.

7. Jesse165
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I did not get BF3 until Christmas and unless this one adds bots like what were in BF1942 and BF2. Unless the offline bots are added I may not even bother getting it.

8. Jay
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Why would you pre-order for the current-gen systems, when next-gen will be out shortly after game release? If you’re into video games enough to pre-order them, then you are most likely going to be getting a next-gen console as soon as it’s released…

9. whatever
    April 27th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I do not pre-order shit, and frankly, BF3, with its mediocre hit detection, the constant M16 spamming, ridiculous bugs – some of which will never be fixed – the existence of Metro, and the rather shitty Premium content (seriously, reusing the same 4-5 camos for a few weapons is all they can do in a month?), the many lies are just a few of the reasons I will definitely not pre-order BF4. Hell, I might even end up not buying it at all. It’s obvious EA will force Dice to make BF4 even more casual to attract kiddies from That Other Game.

If I wanted That Other Game’s experience, I’d buy That Other Game, not a Battlefield game. I’ll probably think at least thrice before buying BF4, and even IF I do, I’ll definitely wait for the real Premium Edition.

• phobia
      April 28th, 2013 at 8:56 am

I’m with you on this one.
      I would even take it a step further and call people that pre-order games shortsighted, here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y
      All it takes is having a bit of patience, wait till release, read some reviews, etc.
      Why throw down money without knowing what exactly you’re buying… wake up people!

• chris
      August 19th, 2013 at 5:50 pm

you’ll buy it…. flex all you want… you’ll buy it… I’d bet my soul on it.
      you would not be browsing this post if you weren’t already addicted to BF.

10. WOOT FTW
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Not pre ordering this time. I learned from BF3. I’ll wait until it’s on sale for around $30. Which should only be about 2-3 months after release. There were some sweet deals after BF3 was released.

11. Jesus
    April 27th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Well i think bf4 is going to be a good game, But anyways i need to see the multiplayer first, I am not similar to a COD fanboy where they buy COD no matter what, Fanboy only means stupidity, Like i said, I really think is going to be superior than bf3 even superior than the upcoming COD.

• George Mouyios
      April 28th, 2013 at 10:18 pm

One can only hope. I am holding out some hope for the game. Promising news thus far and the SP footage indicates it isn’t that bad but we need to see MP footage. Holding out on pre-ordering though this time around…

12. Samsquanch
    April 28th, 2013 at 12:36 am

I swear EA have bent me over for the last time. The digital delux version in Australia costs $90. 1 Aud = 1.02 Usd or 1.27 Euro. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize EA is screwing Australia both rough and hard and without lube.

13. Cheeseburger
    April 28th, 2013 at 3:09 am

If you think about it, there is _no_ real reason to preorder:

-BF4 will be available everywhere when it releases. If somebody wants to buy, he can.

-No reason to throw your money at EA just to be “first”.

-There will be the premium service, having that will be cheaper for you in total. But buying the preorder game won’t give you that “service”, so you will need to buy it seperatly, which will be arround 100€/$ in total for game and premium, which is _not_ cheaper for you.

-Exclusive content like DLC in preorder: Why the hell should you care? Buying premium will get you every DLC, that’s why it saves you money. Why buying only the base game with _one_ DLC instead of the game with premium and _all_ DLC?

In short, I’ll wait as long as it takes for DICE to tell us, what will have us premium and what not ;)
    You just need to throw away the “need to be first”-attitute and just have a bit of patience. That will get you the complete game and will cost you less, and you won’t be part of the brainless customer/idiot base.

14. Peter
    April 28th, 2013 at 4:57 am

Pre-Ordering is, by definition, for suckers.

15. infinte.loop
    April 29th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Everyone who pre-orders just for Beta Access or other digital “bonuses” is a stupid idiot.

You know nothing about that game at the current time.
    Hell you won’t even know if the game really delivers what the Prublisher/Studio promises before it has actually been released!

By pre ordering you give the publisher and the studio a blank check allowing them to do what they want. They already got your money, and that is all they want. Who cares if you actually like the product you pre-ordered.

With all the digital distribution today. There is no need o pre-order. I can buy the game on steam/origin/uplay ONCE I AM SURE THAT I ACTUALLY LIKE IT! And play just an hour later!

• whatever
      April 30th, 2013 at 3:34 am

I completely agree with you. Knowing how many promises were made by DICE and how many they actually kept (not many at all), I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed the pre-order bonuses or removed certain features from the retail version of BF4.

Also, EA is their publisher and we all know EA wants as much money as it can get with minimal effort. Also, microtransactions. Besides, why pre-order, when most of the pre-order bonuses will (knowing EA) go on sale just a few months after release?

Just look at the dogtags and Physical Warfare Pack you got for pre-ordering BF3. The former went on sale, the latter was changed to a time-based exclusive.

16. Graham
    April 29th, 2013 at 7:55 am

I do not know why anyone would pre-order bf4 for the current console gen so until they announce it for next gen I will not be pre-ordering anything, after all thats what its all about, I for one will be waiting.

17. The BIG K
    May 1st, 2013 at 5:58 am

Agreed, I too feel bf4 is purely aimed at next gen consoles, bf3 has been pushed to its maximum on current gen hardware on the fostbite 2 game engine and we are still experiencing problems and not 100% bug free, so how can a game and game engine designed for a more advanced system in 2013 be capable of running on 8 year old hardware and still be expected to run smoothly, alot will be stripped out of the game to make it run smooth which will basically leave you with a bf3 with the addition of new maps, whats needed is more player in game and next gen will open these doors so for me ill be holding out for a ps4 release date before preordering.

18. Vsts
    May 13th, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Preordering is in short, dumb and promotes bad business processes. Companies keep pushing out half finished products that they will update “in the near future” which in case of Battlefield 3… we’re still waiting. How did it go again with the “limited” version? Yes, we got Back to Karkand for free. But we got it _again_ when we bought Premium.

Games like Aliens Colonial Mariners (which apparently killed the company) and MoH:WF show that you can’t give your money to any company, no matter how big and famous the title, until after the first reviews. Fanboys and girls will keep preordering and live in denial, saying that we “just don’t understand how good the game can be” when they play their broken and failed games.

19. Jay
    May 20th, 2013 at 10:04 am

I’m preordering you know it can only be better than bf3 with extra features and maps more polished new vehicles its gonna be a beast. Come on guys these guys are putting in a lot of work to take down cod and we loyal BF fans need to support them

20. Johnny K.
    May 31st, 2013 at 11:27 am

DICE needs to focus purely on their own game. BF3 sucked bawls because they wanted to make a ” cod killer ( clone ) ” and not a battlefield game.

21. D3icer
    June 1st, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I live in Canada and the eb games here only wants 5$ minimum for pre order which includes the dlc and tags. So it was a good deal, the game is only 59$ and premium is 40$

22. Voopoo
    June 23rd, 2013 at 5:52 am

I´ll wait for it to cost cheaper and for the cheaters to get bored first then i ll buy it.

Beta=alpha
    Release = beta

23. CBJ023
    June 29th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I’m pre-ordering because from the trailer’s and game-play I’ve seen I think it’ll be a great game and I loved BF3. Also the fact that I can get BF3 when I pre-order is a bonus, I switched to PC gaming and had BF3 for the Xbox so being able to grab both for $60 is great to me.