Battlefield 4 won’t feature mod support

Developer DICE confirms that BF4 will not feature any mod support.

battlefield 4 angry sea
DICE has confirmed that the upcoming Battlefield 4 will not feature mod support. Just like its predecessor, modders will have to look elsewhere if they’re interested in contributing their own game designs.

DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson confirmed to PC Gamer that Battlefield 4 will not ship with mod tools and that no mod tools are planned for the game. Troedsson says that the Frostbite engine is complex and they have to be careful about which parts of the engine they allow to the public. The Frostbite engine also contains third party middleware that cannot be easily shared freely with the modding community.

However, Troedsson did add slip in politically correct answer, saying that they would “like to see more player created content” in Battlefield 4. Which is impossible, since there is no way to add “player created content”. He added that they wouldn’t release mod tools unless they could do it “100%” and stand behind it.

At this point in time, it looks like modders will have to go elsewhere. Troedsson concluded that modding could be possible in future versions of Battlefield.

1. SkyS1gn
    June 14th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thats because of EA, and because of DLCs…

2. IVanSpinal
    June 14th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This game is very good without mods

• nick913
      June 27th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

It would be significantly better with mods. The creativity of the community almost always outweighs the creativity of the developers.

3. Collision
    June 14th, 2013 at 1:29 pm

“Troedsson concluded that modding could be possible in future versions of Battlefield.” is what I care about

4. roflsunriz
    June 14th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I really hope that the game will support mods in the future version.

5. Your Sandwich
    June 15th, 2013 at 2:53 am

Be realistic:

Unlimited (even high quality) content for free by the community.

OR

DLC and moAr money.

Yeah, thanks Troedsson for the information, I know you have to sell your product in any interview you give, but I’m also not retarded, no need to lie to me with “maybe’s” 😉

• Anon
      June 16th, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Remember what happen to half life? People bought the game just to play mods such as counter strike and team fortress. Why won’t DICE just release even just a map editor?

• nathan
        June 23rd, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I think the issue is that DICE doesn’t want the secrets of their frostbite engine to be delineated and shared. It’s business and I understand their concern for their product, it’s really not that hard to understand. Sure, they like money from DLC, but there is validity in them not wanting to give people even the CHANCE of breaking and sharing their engine’s code.

• nick913
          June 27th, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Call it business all you want but valves source engine and the mods that come with it have made them so much money its ridiculous. When you release mods you only release certain parts. Releasing the map creator etc. would not jeopardize their engines secrets.

• I Declare
      July 4th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

6. ArmA fan
    July 9th, 2013 at 4:15 am

Sorry, but I won’t buy BF4 until there won’t be mod support. Im mostly interested in PR3 mod but im sure there would be much more amazing mods on this engine. It is just ridiculous to not support modding on game made at such powerful, good looking and sounding engine.

EA and DICE really not just stab with a knife with this decision community, but also themselves. Rather than putting out yearly BF games and DLCs, they could really get years to publish even more powerful game/engine and polish the gameplay and AI, meanwhile community would keep the game alive and still – would make it sell, no matter how old the game was.

I consider to change my opinion if there will be any mod tools i will instantly buy a copy of BF4. Right now this game is just too expensive for not having modding capabilities.

7. tvig0r0us
    October 1st, 2013 at 3:20 pm

That pretty much settles it for me. No mod support or even some kind of mission editor, no money from me.

8. Joey
    October 30th, 2013 at 9:12 am

Ditto – DICE only exists because it “modded” BF 1942 – now they will not support mods. No mods, no money from me either