New Battlefield 4 game modes revealed in Alpha

New rumored multiplayer game modes are called "Playground", "Obliteration", and "Elimination".

The Battlefield 4 alpha is currently under way, and some of the lucky gamers went through all the game files. Which revealed some interesting bits and details about Battlefield 4.

For one, it seems that we’ll be getting more Battlefield 4 game modes. DICE previously hinted at a few more game modes at E3, and now we know the names of those.

According to the alpha docs, the new game modes will be called “Playground”, “Obliteration”, and “Elimination”. That’s in addition to the regular game modes such as Conquest and Rush.

It’s hard to speculate at this point what the new modes are like, and they could very well be older modes from BF3 that have been renamed.

We still don’t know everything about Battlefield 4 multiplayer. So far the alpha and E3 gameplay videos have confirmed some new weapons and vehicles, and we’ve gotten to know the very first multiplayer map, Siege of Shanghai.

We previously reported that Battlefield 4 will support 66 players on PC and next gen platforms. That’s 32 players per team, plus one Commander per team. Commanders don’t count towards the overall player count, and cannot play on the battlefield.

DICE should reveal more multiplayer information in the weeks and months.

1. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    June 19th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Wait, consoles 66 players and 60 FPS?

Dang I’ve been living under a rock lately. Glad to hear it for console players.

If it’s running at 60 FPS I take it that may also mean its going to run at high graphics? It would be odd to lop off graphics in favor of more FPS because I doubt most people would mind playing at 30-50 FPS with better graphics.

More on topic, I hope rush makes a return. One of my most favorite game modes from BF3

• WOOT FTW
      June 19th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

The “Angry Sea” trailer was played on Xbox One. At first I thought it was PC and when I saw it was on Xbox One, my jaw dropped.

• Tyler
        June 19th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Nope… it was played(demoed) on a PC(google it, PC Gamer site even). Most of the games at E3 regardless of platform or system were shown on PC’s. Ya want to know more icing for cake, lots had intel/nvidia and not the favored AMD.

• WOOT FTW
          June 19th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Nope. Look at the bottem of the screen. You will see the Xbox D-Pad.

• Tenzing
            June 19th, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Nope, look at top right. Theres a backspace key. Its been confirmed that many of the games shown at MS E3 was using high end PCs.

• Hard Dominator
            June 20th, 2013 at 4:10 am

It was played on a pc with an xbox controller. See also the 64 player multiplayer setup that was up on stage at the EA conference.

• WOOT FTW
            June 20th, 2013 at 5:15 am

They played it on a Xbox controller? Those fiends! Well that explains why it looked so good. :(

• mohammad
      June 19th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

man…. where have you ben ? alot of things were going in here & you missed it XD

• Kill Skill
        June 19th, 2013 at 10:04 pm

So this is the site where you guys transferred to… Thanks to mohammad for letting me know.

• Richy G
          June 20th, 2013 at 5:27 am

Just no-one let that troll ‘Dubstep Transformer/Skillrex’ or whatever he called himself find us!

• mohammad
          June 20th, 2013 at 7:09 am

we transferred to it from long time ago & we should thank WOOT FTW because i didn’t it know without him .

• Guy who replies to people
      June 19th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I agree that it should be 40 or 50 fps and 1080p but unfortunately I think the console will run 60 fps 720p

• Tenzing
      June 19th, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I doubt, they are probably gonna go around a mixture of med and high settings @DX10 to gain 60fps w/66 Players. As for resolution I am thinking 720P, but we don’t know yet.

2. WOOT FTW
    June 19th, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Playground sounds like it might be free for all or team deathmatch.

Obliteration sounds like it might be about destroying the map.

Elimination sounds like it might be a game mode like Search and Destroy.

• Jesse165
      June 19th, 2013 at 8:51 pm

That is almost exactly what I was thinking. Except I was thinking Playground might be more like Halo’s Forge Mode. Highly doubt it though.

• Guy who replies to people
        June 20th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Forge that would be amazing!

• WOOT FTW
        June 20th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Well DICE isn’t giving us MOD tools for BF4 so I think forge would be out of the question.

• Toby
          June 26th, 2013 at 5:17 am

alot of people think playground is going to be like a gun range or vehicle range where you can practice shooting, driving, and flying.

3. mohammad
    June 19th, 2013 at 5:41 pm

can’t wait to try them but hopefully they’ll put all bf3 modes as regular modes in BF4 & not dividing them in dlcs .

4. EvoRazgriz
    June 20th, 2013 at 1:20 am

I hope “playground” is something like a sandbox-mode where you have all the weapons and vehicles where you can train yourself with or with out friends, would make sense because for example BF3 didn’t have any kind of tutorial for jets and helicopters and people were complaining about that.

5. BattlefieldInsider
    June 20th, 2013 at 5:22 am

Obliteration = Search and Destroy (eliminate the whole enemy team or destroy their 2? MCOMS)

Elimination = Eliminate whole enemy team (there are no MCOMS to destroy)

6. `Mark`
    June 21st, 2013 at 6:17 am

Man they really need to bring some more up close maps like maybe jungle maps with the dlc. that would be nice cause in bf3 running through the desert sniping with jets gunning you down wasnt my game. if i had a jungle i could use my stealth to the best of me.

7. EA DOUCHEBAG
    June 21st, 2013 at 2:17 pm

LOLOO0LOLOLOL U MAD BRO???

kidding, in all serious, what is going to happen to the site now? Is it going to shut down or something? I just heard about this from my milf.

• WOOT FTW
      June 21st, 2013 at 2:41 pm

What?

8. HayHay
    June 25th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Pi am hoping the have air superioty