New details on Battlefield 4 classes and weapon loadouts

Players will be able to equip carbines and marksman rifles on any class.

Battlefield 4 multiplayer screenshot 2
While Battlefield 4 features the same classes as BF3 (and Bad Company 2), there are some changes and tweaks done. For example, the C4 explosive has now been moved to the Recon class, while the Support class has access to some heavy grenade launchers, like the XM25 and the M32 MGL.

Furthermore, Battlefield 4 will now give players the ability to equip carbines and marksman rifles. This goes hand in hand with Battlefield 4’s specializations, where players can choose an offensive or defensive role.

For example, Engineers can now equip a marksman rifle such as the M39 if they want to play a defensive role and keep their distance, or a carbine for more offensive purposes. Previously, carbines were restricted only to Engineers, and marksman rifles only to Recons. Now players can mix and match between classes.

This new layout gives players much more freedom to perfectly tailor their class. For example, a Support class can now equip a carbine and a dedicated grenade launcher, and the assault class can equip a marksman rifle for long range combat. Furthermore, all classes can now equip different types of Battlefield 4 grenades.

Dedicated class weapons still remain the same, though. Sniper rifles will be available only Recon, machine guns to Support, and so on.

A new addition to Battlefield 4 is the “Battle pickup” weapon. These are weapons that are placed strategically throughout the map, and cannot be equipped by soldiers during spawn. The weapons, such as the powerful M82 .50 caliber sniper rifle, have to be picked up on the map by players.

1. Joltthecoat
    June 21st, 2013 at 4:21 pm

The M32 MGL is not for support, it’s a battle pick-up item like the M82.

2. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    June 21st, 2013 at 4:29 pm

As usual I’m squeamish when they add in changes like this but who knows, might be a great addition.

I’m just hoping they keep the pickup weapons balanced. Having your entire team instantly rush for them during round start and even possibly resorting to ‘backstabbing’ teammates or your team going as far as ignoring objectives and team work to obtain them would be ridiculous. Hopefully they don’t make them -that- appealing.

• WunderKatze
      June 21st, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thata be sweet if commanders could “deploy” these weapons for their dudes, also i hope that the ammo for these weapons cant be resupplied, cuz then ita just be kit stealing without end.

• WOOT FTW
      June 21st, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Hopefully the weapons change spots between rounds to avoid that. They could also give the weapons only one mag when you pick them up like it was in CO-OP. You will have to go to a support guy to get more rounds.

And welcome back Friendly Neighborhood Poster. Long time no see. We need more BF3BLOG faces around here. It can be kinda dead at some points.

• WOOT FTW
        June 21st, 2013 at 6:46 pm

My bad. I forget I replied to you recently. I didn’t relize it was you.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        June 22nd, 2013 at 8:56 am

Thanks, glad to be back

• MedicTrain
        June 29th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Loved BF3 Blog, good community and fairly intelligent posters. Wish there was the same numbers on here.

Anyways, I don’t think battle pick-ups is such a great concept. I think it may take way from the focus of the objective, especially if there is an assignment or achievement that coincides with that weapon. I guess we will have to see.

3. WunderKatze
    June 21st, 2013 at 4:49 pm

What i want to really know is, first what happened to the defib and the spawn beacon well i assume that i have just some how missed these things in the footage, cuz i havent read anything about them being removed. Also, Dice, you better allow me to mount my M26 on my M4 or else >:(

• WOOT FTW
      June 21st, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I hope they take out reviving for BF4. That’s right I said it! I hope it’s done for. Players in BF3 abused it so much that I didn’t want to get revived. They wouldn’t throw out med kits even if you’re blue in the face, but the moment you get killed point blank, they will all rush out to revive you. And when they do EVERYONE gets killed! Instead of 1 ticket lost, it’s now 2 or 3.

And it was an unfair advantage to get revived too sometimes. For example, you just killed 2 enemies, and a medic comes by and revives one of the players you just killed, now instead of shooting one guy (the medic) you have 2 or more guys to shoot again! You shouldn’t be able to revive people as fast as they fall because you need to reload sometime soon. What good is it killing someone only to have them revived and now you got to kill 2 guys, one of which you just killed! It was stupid.

I liked the way it was in BFBC2 where there was a delay to how fast you could revive someone.

• WunderKatze
        June 21st, 2013 at 6:42 pm

As much as I hate killing like 3 dudes and then dying and watching some guy undo all of the damage, the thing is they cant really take it out or else point defense would be so stupid, instead they should have a revive system that takes ammo, that way the only way to revive a large group is to have supports and medics, this way reviving people wouldn’t be such a mindless and accessible feature. Plus if they take it out it would slow down the game to much and ruin a lot of teamwork potential.

• WOOT FTW
          June 21st, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Nah. In BFBC1 if you died you had to spawn on a squad member or at your base or on a flag. It was up to one person to stay alive in your squad so you can keep a strong frontline. It makes staying alive more important than going “Oh I just got killed, revive me like it never even happend.”

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        June 22nd, 2013 at 9:24 am

Personally I primarily play medic and thoroughly enjoy the role and even I think that reviving needs some changes but in my opinion outright removing it seems extreme.

I believe they could do something about the annoying suicide revives and people reviving in the middle of firefights, something along the lines of requiring several seconds to revive a soldier either by making the medic play a revive animation on the incapacitated body or by requiring the shock paddles to charge up before shocking them.

It wouldn’t fix the problem but it would highly discourage trying to quickly revive teammates that are incapacitated in the middle of direct enemy.

That and it would add a revive delay. I too think it’s a little ridiculous being able to revive 5+ people in a very short amount of time by pressing a button.

• warghostmon
          June 30th, 2013 at 8:52 am

If you don’t mind, I would like to add to the suggestion by Wunder. Just like Poster I am usually the designated medic when I’m playing in my Clan, and we thought of a little idea one night to add a little more of a challenge for me and the other medics playing:

1. All medics can only revive 1 player every 13 seconds
          2. They must be in the company of at least 1 more player, not to give permission to revive, but to have a second pair of eyes to prove the area was clear of enemy players.
          3. After 5 revives, you must go to a support player’s ammo box to ‘recharge’

we initially was only going to do this for just one match..we ended up doing it for the entire night. we tried it out on some random servers and other players liked it as well if the other players played along as well. I experimented on my own after that night and found that when I put these limits on myself, my K/D improved by about 36% and my endgame-point total shot up by 40-60%(depending up the game type). Even if you ignore rule #2, i think if you implement reasonable restrictions on the defibs, more medics are gonna drop medkits, and will be a lot more,not to say scared, but cautious of approaching a downed teammate.

• Brandon
        June 23rd, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I agree with you WOOT FTW. The revive needs to be gone. If they really wanted it to be realistic they need it to be where a guy goes into a final stand type deal. I am not a COD fan but if he goes down do to low health only a medic can come and pick him up and carry him and during the medic carrying him should he heal. Idk but something to make it realistic for healing a guy or something. The medic pack I think is strange. No body is gonna drop a bag and heal instantly. I also hate players who don’t die cause they hide behind a wall with a medic pack. If it was made where a medic had to pick a guy up once he is down to 30% health, it would make people work together and remove the bullshit behind a guy not dying do to a pack on the ground or a guy hiding with him constantly reviving him.

• Tim
        June 25th, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Add a revive delay, totally. Take out revives? No, that’s insane and kneejerk-reactionary.

• Navneeth
          July 4th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Okay, here’s how I see it best.
          1: Players can be revived much longer after death if they choose not to spawn.
          2: Revivals take about 5 seconds and involve an animation, medics can drag bodies.
          3: Certain deaths are permanent (i.e. huge falls, direct impact from explosives, sniper headshots, knife deaths, run over by a jet)
          4: You start at low health when revived and cannot be revived again if you die before healing.
          5: Medics have to resupply their resuscitation kits after 3 uses.

Now revives are a considerable risk to the medic and he should only attempt them if he can secure the area. At the same time, he has more than just half a dozen seconds to do this if his teammates cooperate with him. And now players cannot just run forth like tanks and get revived after each screw-up.

• WunderKatze
      June 21st, 2013 at 7:03 pm

In the same energy, has anything about bi-pods been said or seen?

• warghostmon
        June 30th, 2013 at 8:56 am

no news yet. I’m sure that they will stay more or less the same, but I would like to see their range of side-to-side motion decreased a bit more..about 20% maybe.or do you think that’s to much?

• WunderKatze
          July 6th, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Eh, depends i’ll be fine if they dont change em, though when setting up at certain places you shouldn’t be able to get a retarded arc that made you impossible to hit and be able to hit everything.

• MedicTrain
      June 29th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

There was no defib in the alpha or pre-alpha version due to it being bugged. It was then disabled so it would not interfere with the E3 game play.

Defibs will be back in BF4, however there is talk that there is a recharge rate to prevent or delay the continuous revives/spam revives experienced in BF3. I can also see, like sprint, an initial charge time before it can be used. (It is confirmed that you have build up speed before going into full sprint.)

4. Plakman
    June 21st, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hmm. w00t i thought you were a cool guy >.>
    Taking out reviving from the game would destroy the whole bf franchise …

It’s just that dice made it a bit overpowered yes.
    In BF2 it was a bit more balanced as you couldn’t revive 5 ppl without having to wait to recharge the pads.

Than again if you play modes like squad deathmatch (my favorite atm)
    it isn’t a problem there at all. Yes in metro 32/32 players reviving is a pain
    because killing someone doesn’t matter…

5. KC
    June 22nd, 2013 at 10:58 am

I can see everyone run for the best weapons on the map now. It’s just plane stupid, DICE!!!

6. Tmcsweeney
    June 23rd, 2013 at 7:20 am

I love long distance sniping in battlefield with 50 caliber rifles, like the M95 in BFBC2. are you saying that to get the guns I love I’ll have to search the map for and beat the rest of the players to them?? That will be annoying.

7. JayOfTheEast
    June 23rd, 2013 at 5:49 pm

It would be awesome if you change your appearance depending on your offensive or defensive perks :3

8. R3D
    June 23rd, 2013 at 10:10 pm

It’ll surely be fun to kill noobs, who try to get to those not-that-special weapons =D

9. bcj
    June 25th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I wish they would design the game so that you have X number of slots and you could put whatever you want into them.

Different types of items would fill more than one slot. Also the ability to re-customize while your still alive would be nice.

Perhaps the team concept would suffer but on most maps that I play team play is really not that present in most games

10. WunderKatze
    June 26th, 2013 at 10:36 am

As much as I like that idea I can’t see it being balanced, though giving DMRs and Carbines to all kits is a big step…

11. EpicOblivion25
    June 28th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Hmm…I think adding map-only weapons sounds like a bad idea. If they can’t balance it for a class, why bother…people are just going to troll and camp the weapons anyway.

And I agree, reviving is a key BF feature. I just think they need to actually add 3-5 seconds in between uses to let the defibrillators recharge like they need to in reality. That way, people actually have to choose who to revive and not just spam revive all.

12. Auslaender
    June 30th, 2013 at 3:31 am

Pick up weapons sounds like a horrible idea. I always hated how new tanks spawned inside the map at certain flags (Oman, Caspian.) No one on the capturing team wants to use them so they just sit there for an enemy to sneak in and steal it. Keep all the firepower in the spawns!

13. Sparky
    July 2nd, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Lol reminds me of goldeneye 64, camp that golden gun or, keep that AK guarded, wait, pick up that rocket launcher again before the other guys do. Brings camping memories back to its roots.

• Navneeth
      July 4th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Just alternate/randomize the spawn locations. It’s that simple: no camping.

In fact, teams that actually search around will get the advantage over corner campers who choose fortified positions over mobility.

14. Krash Logik
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am

I think that the maps should have various ways to the other side so as to prevent so much base raping.