Battlefield 4 Kinect support coming to Xbox One

Motion controls are coming to the game, but not in the way you think.

Battlefield 4 kinect support
Xbox One owners will be getting a few advantages when it comes to Battlefield 4. For one, the upcoming DLC Second Assault will get a head start on the Xbox One first, and now DICE has confirmed that Battlefield 4 will also support the Kinect motion control sensor as well.

Every Xbox One console will ship with Kinect, which allows for advanced motion controls and voice recognition as well. And while Battlefield 4 will support Kinect, it won’t actually tied to the gameplay itself, according to DICE’s Karl-Magnus Troedsson.

In an interview in the latest issue of GameInformer magazine, he said that motion controls “do not make sense” for a game like Battlefield 4, but added that there were “other places” where motion controls could be incorporated. He didn’t get into details, and said that they’ll announce their Kinect support in the future.

We can imagine using Kinect for browsing the menus and maybe giving squad orders. But as Troedsson puts it, motion controls don’t really work with games like Battlefield 4, and would only make things gimmicky.

Battlefield 4 will launch on the Xbox One and other platforms this Fall. It’s unknown whether DICE will bring motion control features to the PS4 and their PS Eye device.

TAGS: ,

1. OscarMtz88
    July 10th, 2013 at 3:38 pm

This is other reason why I’m getting Battlefield 4 on Xbox One

• WOOT FTW
      July 10th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

The Xbox one watches you sleep. It controls your thoughts. It will tap into your home’s thermostat and eventually your home’s security system! Latter, it will control your car’s computer! And then…it will kill you. Don’t get the Xbox one!

• mohammad
        July 10th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

even when you think it’s off it’s really not XD

• WOOT FTW
          July 11th, 2013 at 8:00 am

The only way to be sure, is to burry it.

• Great Leader
            July 16th, 2013 at 8:56 am

but first you’ll need to pierce it with wooden stakes and dip it in bucket with holy water

• Change My Name Every Day
        July 10th, 2013 at 7:26 pm

It can monitor your heartbeat. It can sense your fear.

• alex
          July 11th, 2013 at 7:33 am

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

• jconnor
            July 11th, 2013 at 10:36 am

skynet is watching

• James
            July 11th, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Or you can unplug it………

• mohammad
            July 12th, 2013 at 3:02 am

who carries about unplugging this garbage ? i don’t want the xbone PLAYSTATION 4 FTW !! low price , better graphics , processing performance (50%more powerful) & better offers etc etc etc…..

• Izzy408
        July 13th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

People who think this way either have their head up their ass or are completely paranoid. Is it possible for the NSA monitor you through MS? Probably yes; Is that a good thing? Hell no. I’m ready to defend my rights to privacy anytime. But people have blown this out of proportion. Besides, smart phones and PCs’ are the NSA’s wet dream because they are far more commonly used than the Xbox.

• Funtime Ben
      July 11th, 2013 at 11:49 am

If THIS is the reason you are getting BF4 on Xbox One – You’ve got your priorities in the wrong place.

2. roflsunriz
    July 10th, 2013 at 4:38 pm

WTF…
    I don’t think so. Using Kinect to control soldiers seems very hard.
    To play BF4 seriously,this wiil be meaningless.

• WunderKatze
      July 10th, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Did you even read? Or perhaps I failed to understand, but I’m sure that they said the Kinect wont be tied to the gameplay, but it will have some other use.

• Funtime Ben
      July 11th, 2013 at 11:58 am

Who said anything about being useful?! Microsoft want to make sure if you’ve paid $100 extra for a Kinect you can talk to your screen! Personally I’ve always wanted to run after a support player ACTUALLY saying “Ammo, ammo, ammo!” and have them ignore me for the round.

Screw flying cars and hover boots, this is the future!

3. N-Shifter
    July 10th, 2013 at 5:24 pm

So it’s going to have voice controls like “give me ammo” so instead of spamming a button to ask for it you can drive yourself insane by actually asking for it? lol screw that.

• ChessMania
      July 11th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Most of the time they look at you, waste a clip in your face, then walk away.. But I cannot understand voice commands if both consoles come with headsets..

4. mohammad
    July 10th, 2013 at 5:31 pm

will i don’t care that much about both cameras just wanna use the controller & headset to play the game .

5. Computer guy
    July 10th, 2013 at 8:48 pm

What? So they found a way to play bf4 with the kinect’s microphone?
    And that’s supposed to be something new? I’ve been using a microphone for 20 years now..why not give that feature to all platforms?

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      July 11th, 2013 at 1:38 am

That’s speculation so far, noting confirmed. If they do implement some form of voice commands for squads its possible they could decide to carry it over to normal microphones. You never know

6. Tyrane
    July 11th, 2013 at 6:27 am

It would be nice if say you were the pilot of a helicopter, you could use it to say something to your passenger(s) even if he’s(they’re) not in your squad. The sound would come out loud enough to be sure they hear. The pilot could say, “Gunner, shoot that guy” or “Left gunner and left passenger I’m dropping you guys off on the skyscraper and right gunner and passenger you guys at Objective D.” But they could do that with any regular mic.

• Funtime Ben
      July 11th, 2013 at 11:51 am

And the 13 year old in the right gunner position would say “Mom! I don’t want to clean my room!”

The future is terrific. 😉

7. Father
    July 11th, 2013 at 11:49 am

Things that I’m looking forward with Kinect support.

1) Freelook, look left/right without changing my direction with small head movements.
    2) Add more options to commands that PC has today that console doesn’t because the limit amount of buttons. (ex. map zoom-in/out, etc)

8. Methodoc
    July 11th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Probably to scan your face to put it on a character, it would be nice for commander, but they said no gameplay.

Anyways, don’t buy an Xbox One.

• James
      July 11th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Don’t tell me what to not buy.

9. George