Battlefield 4 will include special Windows 8 features

Windows 8 users will get special tricks with the new DirectX 11.1 API.

Battlefield 4 Windows 8It’s no secret that Windows 8 has been a dud so far. There hasn’t been any real reason to upgrade to Windows 8 from a gaming perspective, but Battlefield 4 might just change that for some gamers out there.

According to DICE Technical Director Johan Andersson, the guy in charge of the Frostbite 3 engine development on Battlefield 4, the game will fully support Direct X 11.1. However, only Windows 8 uses DX 11.1, as Microsoft hasn’t released the new features for Windows 7. They have to sell you Win 8 on something, right?

According to Andersson, the specific feature of Direct X 11.1 that Battlefield 4 will take advantage of on Windows 8 involve “constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs”, which return a slightly better CPU performance.

Since the Xbox One will be running Direct X 11.1 as well, we can expect these optimizations to find their way to the Xbox One version of Battlefield 4. The PlayStation 4 also appears to support DX 11.1, but it’s unknown in what capacity.

As for PC gamers, will it be worth it to upgrade to Windows 8 from Win 7 just because of the new Direct X 11.1 feature? Probably not. The difference will hardly be noticeable for most gamers, especially if they’re running a modern CPU. We’d much rather spend the money towards a better graphics card than upgrade Windows at this point.

TAGS: ,

1. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m surprised they’re even making BF4 for windows 8 in the first place. Most game manufacturers ‘nope’ away from Windows 8 in a heartbeat.

Heck, Mac probably has a bigger gamer base than Windows 8 at this point.

• phobia
      July 31st, 2013 at 11:45 am

They’re incorporating DX11.1 features into their engine, that is something entirely different than “designing for windows 8”, eventhough that is what it looks like.
      PS4 rendering is going to be based on OpenGL afaik, it is about time that more developers start using OpenGL over DX, so Microsoft can stick their proprietary standard somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine.

• Breunie Ploeg
      July 31st, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Personally I’ve been using Windows 8 since release. Everybody always complains about new OS’s when they release.

Windows 8 isn’t bad and not making games for it would make no sense since it isn’t so different from Windows 7.

I personally applaud DICE for supporting Windows 8 so well (although we’ll have to see about that still).

• brandonium10
      July 31st, 2013 at 12:56 pm

True Dat

• TheHippotail
      August 7th, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Yeah. I really don’t like Windows 8. It’s Windows 7 with an improved Start button. It’s not really that bad, but it’s annoying when I’m in the middle of a firefight and I accidently tap the Windows key and it opens up the menu.

2. shadow2233344
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:33 am

At least I know i can run bf4 on win 8.

3. G
    July 31st, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Its direct X 11.2 just to clear up that up and with tiled resources. Ps4 won’t include this as it is held by Microsoft. Check out the video on performance increase—> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0VKmk5bmI

4. The Iranian
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:19 pm

The sheer fanboyism some of these comments show is one of the many reasons why no one takes us seriously as an industry. Saddening. :\

5. Paul Smith
    November 15th, 2013 at 6:39 am

I use Windows 8 by choice but many people have no choice in an OEM system. It’s a good thing they support Windows 8 except the frequent crashes in Battlefield 4 are sometimes reported as being more common in Windows 8. One thing I noticed is the beta was very stable for me but the final release of Battlefield 4 was totally unstable and crashed every map I played when I tested it. The only difference I made to my computer during that time was updating Windows 8 to 8.1 and updates to the latest AMD and Intel graphics drivers. Like many games, some of Battlefield 4’s instability may be due to an inability to handle Enduro based mobile systems running Intel integrated graphics combined with dedicated high end graphics cards from AMD. Since every other game has pretty much fixed this since updated drivers have been out for more than a year from AMD…I don’t think this is a great excuse.