EA: no other shooter compares to Battlefield 4

EA is confident in Battlefield 4 and the innovation it brings to the table, according to president Frank Gibeau.

Battlefield 4 singleplayer screenshot
EA president Frank Gibeau recently gave an interview where he shared his thoughts on the upcoming Battlefield 4 shooter from DICE. And it seems that EA has very high hopes for the game indeed. Gibeau said that “no other shooter does what Battlefield 4 does”, adding that the mix of infantry and vehicle combat, destruction and large maps make Battlefield 4 unique and that “nobody matches that”.

Gibeau said that EA expects Battlefield 4 to be even more successful than BF3, which sold over 18 million units worldwide to date. He adds that they have by no means reached a “barrier” yet, and that the series will keep innovating for years to come. The new Frostbite 3 game engine will support all 5 major platforms for the game this Fall.

Battlefield 4 launches on October 29 — just one week ahead of its main rival: Call of Duty Ghosts. Both games will be available on all 5 platforms — current gen as well as next gen consoles. Last time the two heavyweight franchises went head to head was back in 2011 with BF3 vs Modern Warfare 3. Battlefield 4 is already outselling COD Ghosts when it comes to next gen pre-orders.

Be sure to also check out the Battlefield 4 vs Call of Duty Ghosts graphics comparison.

TAGS: ,

1. poncho
    July 4th, 2013 at 2:01 pm

wow I really don’t give a shit what ea has to say

• whatever
      July 4th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Same here. After the piece of diarrhea that is BF3, I can’t be arsed to care. There are other shooters that do what BF3 does, but even better. Planetside 2 comes to mind. At least that game has a reliable netcode and I don’t die seconds after diving behind cover, my bullets actually go in the direction I’m aiming at, and when I hit someone, they actually take damage.

Can’t say the same about BF3.

• Indi
        July 5th, 2013 at 3:06 am

Yah he should shut the “F” up, funny how they stated a similiar sentence back when BF3 was released… and we all now who crap BF3 turned out to be…
        I think EA should concentrate on the game rather then advertising…

• Mr. Anonymous
        July 5th, 2013 at 8:55 am

@whatever
        Are you serious? Planetside 2 is a good concept at best. It is basically still in beta considering it takes a monster of a pc to play. It is barely optimized, and server lag is SEVERE when in big battles. I may not die behind cover, but I sure as hell will dive to cover only to be rubber-banded back into the crossfire.

BF3 can be bad at times, but latency is also a huge part of “dying behind cover”. At least it didn’t run like a piece of crap when it was released. Everyone acts like ONLY EA releases unfinished games.

• whatever
          July 6th, 2013 at 11:13 am

PS2 may not be the most beautiful PC game out there graphics-wise, but to me, multiplayer was always about performance, not graphics. Even when I used to play BF3 I’d still set every graphic option to low to minimize the eye-candy and gain as much FPS as possible.

It’s funny that I almost never seem to experience that severe lag you’re talking about. Sure, there are times when it’s obvious it’s there, but nowhere near as often as in BF3, where rubberbanding also tends to happen. Oh, and like I said, when I shoot someone with a shotgun-type weapon from up close, they actually take a LOT of damage whereas in BF3, I’ve seen numerous occasions where I shot someone in close range, and they did not take damage AT ALL, yet they turned around and killed me with seemingly one bullet.

What’s that if not shitty netcode? I’ve NEVER seen that happen in PS2.

You’re right. BF3 was okay when it got released, then DICE kept screwing it up more with each consecutive patch until we got this puddle of diarrhea we have today.

• ChessMania
            July 11th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Especially when patches are 2-3 GBs large.. I don’t know why every update is that big… But I understand the anger of recent patches.. They patched things that weren’t really necessary.

• Skipper
        July 5th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Are you on crack, man? Have you actually played BF3?

• IVanSpinal
        July 5th, 2013 at 11:28 am

sorry but,
        Planetside 2 looks like diarrhea

• Tenzing
          July 5th, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Ofc PS2 will look bad compared to BF3/4. I mean they had to cut something for the 2000 players online battles (where BF officially only stayed 64 since 1942).

2. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    July 4th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I’m not one to get into these ‘ermahgord beef4 butter than codz0rz’ superiority wars but I’m curious if Activision is taking any steps to avoid any customer loss to Battlefield. I realistically doubt BF4 (let alone any game for that matter) could dethrone a giant like CoD but with the Battlefield series off of its long sequel hiatus from BF2 I can see it being a threat to CoD

• cdotcizzle
      July 5th, 2013 at 10:26 am

Well as of June 28 bf4 is the number one preordered game for next gen systems. Meaning at this point as of right now, it will out sell cod. Now will that actually become true? I don’t know, I hope so because cod is just garbage the last 4 years.

And all you other guys who are here just to complain about battlefield, if you don’t like, don’t play it. Its that simple. There are millions of people who don’t have your issues. Sure I’ve had a few time where I try to get behind cover and I still dye but that happens in other fps too. And my bullets ALWAYS go where I’m aiming at so you must have terrible aim.

3. Collision
    July 4th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

“Battlefield 4 vs Call of Duty Ghosts graphics comparison.”
    Is this a troll ?

• Mini
      July 4th, 2013 at 7:39 pm

no it’s just to make a point

4. scott
    July 4th, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Well MW3 or nothing else at the time compared to BF3 in console. Why should it be any different with BF4 vs the competition this time around. Props to DICE for setting a great standard.

5. Juhmeal
    July 4th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

” Gibeau said that “no other shooter does what Battlefield 4 does”, adding that the mix of infantry and vehicle combat, destruction and large maps make Battlefield 4 unique and that “nobody matches that”.”

I guess Gibeau never heard of Planetside or Arma..

6. me_again
    July 4th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Planetside does what BF does and does it better. Netcode that works, let’s start there.

7. alex
    July 5th, 2013 at 1:01 am

Frank Gibeau has no right to utter a single word about anything. The only thing he cares about is making money, and getting us to make even more money.

I believe BF4 will be a better game than bF3, and that DiCE has listened to the community on alot of matters. I also believe that if Frank’s greasy little fingers werent all over DiCE, and DiCE could make the game just as they wanted, it’d be even better.

8. ArithonUK
    July 5th, 2013 at 1:26 am

“no other shooter does what Battlefield 4 does” – except BattleField 2 did more, maybe with worse graphics, but a better game mechanic, more team play and less pointless fluff (achievements, single player campaign, etc.) and more worked.

9. mohammad
    July 5th, 2013 at 4:01 am

ARMA does what BATTLEFIELD does .

10. Grimezyy
    July 5th, 2013 at 5:23 am

Makes me laugh, all you people complaining about bf3. Like DICE or EA actually care about your opinion if its just all negative. If you can’t appreciate everything that’s brilliant about the game and only wish to complain because you get killed, I’m glad you’ve all found planetside 2! EA, DICE and the BF community don’t want you anyway. Certainly don’t want to hear about your problems.

• Indi
      July 5th, 2013 at 7:15 am

20 million copys were sold, only about 1.5 million people play it to date.. so much for your “community” Of which 50% of them is based off CoD kiddies who play CQ Metro/Bazaar 24/7…

• Tyrane
      July 5th, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thank you!

11. grimezyy_lol
    July 5th, 2013 at 7:29 am

Grimezyy you are a tool. Community, what community, Forumfield? Getting killed is part of the game, getting killed after diving behind cover is piss poor programming. Dice is not the problem, EA is and idiots like you that obviously can’t tell the difference between them.

• Grimezyy
      July 7th, 2013 at 3:47 am

Yes community? The people who play the game and enjoy it and don’t hate on it because it has a few problems. Doesnt matter if theres 1 million or 1 thousand. We love the game. You dont. Thats fine with me, just quit crying about it. A game like battlefield is for enjoyment, so if you don’t enjoy it then dont play it ever again and don’t bother bitching about it.

12. Some Dude
    July 5th, 2013 at 9:31 am

he said large maps lol. yeah right BF v3.5

13. Dragon
    July 5th, 2013 at 10:32 am

Okay, so the article starts out talking about BF4 being like no other game out there and quotes two little lines. Then it quickly goes to sales numbers versus Call of Duty for the remaining two of three paragraphs. If you expect this battle to be any different you are sorley mistaken. The BF franchise will probably grow but I am sure the COD franchise will grow even more.

BF3 – 18 million YTD (over 2 years)
    COD:MW3 – 16 million (roughly two months)
    ’nuff said.

Not saying COD is the better franchise – just debating the positive speculation of the current sales numbers hype over COD.

• Henry
      July 7th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

You know cod noobs post lying sites of number of sales right? MW3

14. Tenzing
    July 5th, 2013 at 5:25 pm

In terms of consoles, yes what he says is true. In PC? No, with games like ArmA and PlanetSide.