Battlefield 4 gets “Field Upgrades” instead of Class Specializations

BF4 introduces a new in-game soldier unlock feature.

Battlefield 4 screen
DICE just announced that a new Battlefield 4 feature called Field Upgrades. The new feature replaces the old Class Specializations from BF3, where players received a specialization when they ranked up. Now, they’ll be getting unlocks on a per-match basis with Field Upgrades in Battlefield 4.

In BF3, players ranked up and unlocked weapons and specializations, such as “Sprint”, which made them sprint faster, or “Ammo”, which gave them more ammo, “Frag” which increased the hand grenade count, and more. There were also squad specialization versions of these as well.

In Battlefield 4, these are replaced with Field Upgrades, which are in-game soldier upgrades that are unlocked on a match to match basis — the better you play in a match, the better upgrades you get. After the match, the field upgrades are said to rest, although it’s not confirmed if all upgrades will be reset.

DICE also released a new screenshot as well, which you can find above.

TAGS:

1. Collision
    August 8th, 2013 at 7:32 am

Thanks but can you precise the source each time ?
    I’ve read many articles from you but the latest ones seem to had no source included.

2. danvan
    August 8th, 2013 at 7:46 am

Still don’t understand what is field upgrade

• phobia
      August 9th, 2013 at 3:28 am

Basicly you get 2 modes: Offensive and Defensive, which you pick in your customization screen.
      Each of those 2 modes has 4 levels, you always start at level 1 at the beginning of the match. You level them up during the match by earning xp, I guess based on squad tasks and mission objectives (arming M-COMs, capturing bases, etc.). Offensive levels include, sprint, ammo, grenades and suppression. Defensive levels include suppression resistance, grenades, explosives resistance and healing boost. I’m not completely sure if they are shared within your squad and what happens when you switch squads during the game.

3. N-Shifter
    August 8th, 2013 at 10:56 am

Ummm, this is really old news, they didn’t just announce this – all during E3 there was comments from Dice and people that had played the game on how this works – your squad unlocks the upgrades as they play instead of pre-selecting “ammo” for instance and the problem of someone else in your squad also choosing that specialization now you all unlock them during a game depending on how well you are playing as a squad, it’s a much better way of doing it.

• The Iranian
      August 8th, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Yeah, just that the official channels are mentioning it again with the addition of that new screenshot above, hence why it is being reported. Also, N-Shifter, I have a question: Do your comments state they need to be moderated as well? I never had this problem, they would always appear instantly, until that one day I decided to make a lengthy comment regarding the quality of one of the articles. Just curious since you have been commenting here for awhile.

• Tyrane
        August 8th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Yep just started happening to me too

• WOOT FTW
        August 8th, 2013 at 4:23 pm

@ The Iranian, yes comment moderation is normal. They all go through it.

• N-Shifter
        August 8th, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, the same for me and sometimes they don’t get approved.

• phobia
          August 9th, 2013 at 5:41 am

Noticed some strange things with regards to commenting as well. On my first comments I did get “awaiting moderation” then after a while my posts were instantly allowed. Later when I posted some criticism I got the “awaiting moderation” again. And yes various of my posts got deleted including informative ones.

• The Iranian
            August 10th, 2013 at 8:02 am

Okay, extremely glad that it’s not just me. @Phobia, same exact situation here, man.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

4. danvan
    August 8th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

oh i get it u and squad upgrade during one game and start all over in a another game cool thats good thanks

5. danvan
    August 8th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

not sarcasm

6. Stephanos
    January 1st, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I find the bf4 field upgrades system really bad. bf3 had a perfect perk system , you worked hard to rank up and earn those perks but now in bf4 almost nobody plays the objective 24/7 and by the time you reach the final field upgrade, if you reach it of course, the match will soon be over so you won’t be benefited. Really disappointed and frustrated with this system.

7. LilHeim
    March 11th, 2014 at 9:17 am

Maybe get more then 10 kills a game, I average 30 to 50 kills a game, and I always unlock it really fast