Battlefield 4 GamesCom news and features roundup
DICE used GamesCom last week to announce many of the new Battlefield 4 features, including a new map, new game mode, new weapons, gadgets, and more. We’ve rounded up all of the news and features from GamesCom, including many of the gameplay videos.
- The new map is called Paracel Storm and features dynamic weather — it starts out in sunny conditions, and is later overrun by a tropical storm.
- DICE revealed three new Battlefield 4 expansion packs: Naval Strike, Dragon’s Teeth, and Final Stand. They also confirmed that Premium will be back, and will include all 5 of the DLC packs.
- Battlefield 4 will include a test range / test level, where players can test out different weapons and vehicles.
- The player count in the game is set at 64 players, although this may change in future games in the series.
- Battlefield 4 will launch with 10 maps and 7 game modes, including Conquest, Rush, and the new Obliteration mode.
- The game will feature a lot of customization: players will be able to make their own emblems to place on vehicles and weapons, and all weapons will include over 130 different camos.
- The F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jet is confirmed. It will be joined by the Chinese J-20 and the Russian SU-50 stealth fighters.
New weapons revealed:
The many gameplay videos and screenshots revealed a ton of new weapons which will be included in the game:
- ACE 23 (assault rifle)
- ACE 21 CQBÂ (carbine)
- ACE 52 CQBÂ (carbine)
- CZ-3A1 (carbine)
- ACE 53 SVÂ (marksman rifle)
- Shorty 12G (shotgun)
- UTS 15 (shotgun)
- MBT LAW (rocket launcher)
- P226 (pistol)
- FN57 (pistol)
- CZ-75 (pistol)
- QSZ-92 (pistol)
- RPK-12 (machine gun)
- UMP-9 (SMG)
Gameplay videos and trailers
DICE live streamed Battlefield 4 gameplay for many hours during GamesCom, which provided us with a ton of footage. In addition, DICE released several new trailers and other videos as well.
- New multiplayer trailer with Paracel Storm
- Obliteration gameplay video
- Levolution trailer (which shows glimpses of several new maps)
- Premium trailer revealing all the Premium features and benefits.
- Several gameplay videos with commentary from the show floor.
- Developer walkthrough video of the new Paracel Storm map.
- Gameplay videos showing some of the new weapons and gadgets in action.