New Battlefield 4 features revealed: VOIP, emblems, and more

DICE reveals new BF4 features such as VOIP, custom emblems for guns and vehicles, and more.

New Battlefield 4 features
With a third day of Battlefield 4 gameplay at GamesCom, DICE stopped by to reveal even more features in the game. For one, PC players will be happy to know that VOIP will be available at launch, but DICE says that they’ll be focusing on VOIP for squads first, then later on for the rest of the team.

A second cool feature is a confirmation of the rumor about emblems on weapons and vehicles. DICE has confirmed that players will be able to create their own emblems and place them on weapons and vehicles. Previously it was believed that the emblems would be from the Platoons, but now it appears that each player will be able to make their own individual emblems.

DICE also revealed that the list of Battlefield 4 grenades will be greatly expanded. Besides the usual frag, smoke, and incendiary grenades, the game will include “V-40 Mini” grenades, flashbangs, Hand flares, and Impact grenades. Overall, there will be 7 different types of grenades. BF3 only had one.

Finally, while we saw plenty of new weapons during GamesCom, DICE was quick to point out that there are even more weapons that haven’t been shown yet. Be sure to check out some gameplay videos from GamesCom as well.

1. Collision
    August 23rd, 2013 at 4:08 pm

They shouldn’t have included the emblem feature, I hate remembering those childish emblems in CoD: BO

• George
      August 24th, 2013 at 11:44 am

Who knows… maybe emblems can be enabled/disabled server side by admin.

2. adam
    August 23rd, 2013 at 4:15 pm

New grenades are cool, but I’m worried people will become immature and make a penis or penis swastika like I’ve heard from COD fan boys… This type of immaturity should not be tolerated!

3. Some Dude
    August 23rd, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I’m cool with VOIP for squads only.with maybe a channel for squad leaders to plot . I don’t care to hear everyone else. Although I doubt they will get it to work. They haven’t had a good VOIP since BF2.

• brane
      August 24th, 2013 at 6:31 am

bf2142 had good voip

4. Oddball
    August 23rd, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I really want multiple soldiers per account!

• Brandon
      August 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

Yep people are gonna be childish with that. I know who its mostly gonna be too. COD FANS!!! Stay off Battlefield COD players. You ruin the game!!

• Taylor
        August 30th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Nah, it’s a good option to have, actually. I let my brother play on my account, but it would be better if we had our own, and we could progress, individually, than buying another game lol.

• Stoshy
          October 1st, 2013 at 12:42 am

That’s the problem. EA want’s your money.
          Why else are they selling us a BF3 rehash? It’s all the crap that they promised us in BF3 but failed to deliver because of “console limitations”.

After it went full console support, it fell from there. You know all those CoD cultist fanboys that jumped ship? DICE had to appeal to them. We got CQC DLC, decreased range and increased spread, as well as large empty maps where everything is compacted together. Everything just motivates close combat like in CoD. It’s a run an gun game with little destruction and a whole lot of camping. Players stopped focusing on objectives and instead focused on their KD/r’s and next unlock. BC2 had more team work than BF3. Battlefield 3 was not a successor to Battlefield 2. It’s in its own ballpark, combining the worst of the two games, Bad Company and Battlefield 2 itself. So here comes Battlefield 4 to the rescue. EA promises that it fixed all of the issues of the previous game, and claims to have instead put the BEST of both games instead of the WORST this time.

I have a hard time trusting EA. We’ll see in 20 minutes from this comment’s post.

Either way, I feel that they are reselling me the game I already bought.

You know what? I’ll wait for Battlefield 4: Premium Edition with all of the DLC available at a lower price of ~$60 before I consider purchasing it.

5. Charle_Delta
    August 25th, 2013 at 3:49 am

Here’s to hoping the G3 and M60 comes back!

6. Sam
    August 28th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Will there ever be VoIP for consoles??

7. CDReckless
    August 29th, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I desperately want them to have good VOIP. Our clan uses Vent, but it’s necessary to talk to those in a squad that aren’t part of our clan. Additionally, there needs to be squad leader to command channel as well as inter squad. Maybe later add a Squad Leader to Squad leader channel. That’s all that’s needed. But it’s needed.

8. vjscope
    September 17th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

“For one, PC players will be happy to know that VOIP will be available at launch, but DICE says that they’ll be focusing on VOIP for squads first, then later on for the rest of the team.”

Okay BF4, here I come! I surely hope they will get that voip for all players in the server. If not.. Well, I’ve heard a plugin might solve it.