AMD reveals special edition Radeon R9 290X Battlefield 4 card

AMD's top of the line next generation PC graphics card gets exclusive BF4 bundle.

AMD Radeon Battlefield 4 card
AMD recently announced their next generation PC graphics cards, the R7 and R9 series. And with those, they’ve revealed a limited edition Battlefield 4 branded Radeon R9 290X — the top of the line card, which according to AMD is the most powerful single GPU graphics card in the world.

AMD and EA are already partnering with Battlefield 4. The game will feature specific optimizations for AMD hardware on the PC (since next gen consoles are powered by AMD chips). AMD also provided the monster PCs that ran Battlefield 4 during E3, GamesCom, and other events.

According to rumors, AMD has an exclusive deal with EA to bundle Battlefield 4 with its graphics card, a deal that reportedly cost them millions. AMD will also bundle Battlefield 4 with its other cards, as part of their “Never settle” promotional program.

The partnership between AMD and EA/DICE goes even deeper. At the recent conference, AMD revealed a new PC GPU API called “Mantle”, which will make games run better on slower graphics cards and hardware. And the first developer to take advantage of Mantle will be DICE with BF4.

TAGS:

1. joneotrix
    September 27th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Hell ya want one for me.cant wait.

• Real smart, genius.
      September 27th, 2013 at 4:02 pm

You will no doubt, mindlessly spend one month’s wages on it, won’t you?

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      September 27th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

You can pick up a video card that can run BF3 on ultra at 60 FPS along with the majority of modern hardware intensive games on the market for $150 and yet people still go fork over $1,500+ on a single video card.

Why are people so dumb?

• Witte8
        September 27th, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I agree with you partially. Marketing is pushing people to buy pc hardware with way too much power they will never use just for the sake of “i might use it … so let’s buy it just in case…” Seriously most people’s pc’s are most of the time in idle status so…all the horsepower is just sitting there and waisting your money another time on electricity.

On the other hand if you talk about playing bff3 at 60 fps on ultra for 150 usd…. Can you advice me which card can handle this and at which resolution? What about the other settings? I think looking at benchmarks this is impossible. Nonetheless going back to High instead of ultra does not make a very hard impact on what you actually see, but will make a huge difference on the fps rate. But you were talking about ultra mode at 60 fps…

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
          September 28th, 2013 at 9:05 am

I see what you mean but that wasn’t supposed to be a exact estimate, it was just to get the point across. Realistically you may have to get a more expensive card that can cost more than $150 to run BF4 on ultra at 60 FPS but you surely won’t need a $1,000+ video card for it

• Justadude
          September 30th, 2013 at 4:44 pm

True. I built the PC I am using right now for $2000 about 2 years ago. I can run everything that has come out since on ultra with no troubles. In fact I only use both my video cars about 20% of the time because most games lately are so terribly optimized for two that it actually runs better on one.

Graphics are hitting a glass ceiling in games. Without some SERIOUS engine advances, this computer will probably last another 4 years.

Of course some ground breaking new engine might come out that lets you feel the rain in your face. so what do I know.

• phobia
        September 30th, 2013 at 3:24 am

The R9 290X has an expected MSRP of $ 599 fyi. There are no cards beyond the magic $ 999 barrier (same with the Intel S2011/S1366 cpu’s 4960X/3970X/3960X/990X/etc). You can buy a R9 270X and run BF4 just fine on high settings at 1080p probably.
        What is up with “which will make games run better on slower graphics cards and hardware”? Clearly you have misread the AMD slides. Mantle is an API that allows more direct access to the GraphicsCoreNext architecture than DirectX/OpenGL does, and thus achieving a better performance.

2. BF4
    September 27th, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Damn amd gonna make a killing from pc players

3. gallantOne
    September 27th, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I sure hope it plugs in to my Pentium 2.

September 27th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’m just fine with both my 780 classifieds in SLI @ 2560 x 1600 res.

• Witte8
      September 27th, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Naahhhh It will bottleneck for sure. You’ll need at least one more for a triple was sli.

• ViKrieg
        September 27th, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I’d just go with a quad SLI setup, just to be ABSOLUTELY on the safe side.

5. DotAX
    September 27th, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Bought a 5870 3 years ago. Still remember the insane ammount of bsod I got with it. Then bought 580 and everything became ok. Haven’t seen BSOD for 2 years. By that moment I stoped trusting AMD.

• phobia
      September 30th, 2013 at 3:18 am

Bless the ignorant… Both AMD and Nvidia have had driver issues once in a while or problems with a specific game. You should always go for the best card for the money in whatever price range you’re shopping, instead of being a singleminded muppet.

• paul
      September 30th, 2013 at 3:27 am

Funny..I had exact same problem with Nvidia, and since I went AMD I have never had any issues. IMHO Nvidia blows goats.

6. luis
    September 28th, 2013 at 7:04 am

i had a problem with my SLI 660ti that it was giving me a headache… stuterring and low gpu usage… so for the first time i went to CF 7950 and all problems are gone… AMD with 13.10drivers are amazing!

7. mike
    September 28th, 2013 at 7:28 am

people still dont understand the freemarket smh

peasants gonna hate

8. George
    September 28th, 2013 at 10:10 am

I’ve been a NVIDIA chipset guy for years because Linux drivers were always better. Now that I’ve been using Windows 7 Pro X64 on my desktop for the last few years I may decided to switch to AMD since the primary game I will be using is BF4 and optimized for AMD chipsets.

My graphics card is still running fine though so I see no point going out and buying new one unless I sell my current and older card on E-Bay and pay the difference for an AMD card :)… decisions decisions…

9. Dudecar4
    September 28th, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Here’s an idea. Spend less, buy MORE.