Battlefield 4 developer “underestimated console gamers”

DICE "underestimated console gamers", who turned out to be just as hardcore as PC gamers.

The Battlefield series has historically been a PC franchise — it started on the PC, and PC gamers always got the best version of any game. Which is also the case with the upcoming Battlefield 4.

But that’s not to say that console gamers have been left out in the cold. Battlefield 4 on consoles will include all the major features found in the PC version, and the PS4 and Xbox One will even support 64 player online multiplayer.

Battlefield 4 on consolesAccording to DICE’s Lars Gustavsson, creative director on Battlefield 4, they initially “underestimated console gamers” as he put it. Speaking to MMGN, Gustavsson said that they had to dumb down the Bad Company games on the consoles, adding:

“We’ve come to realize that the the console market is definitely a hardcore audience that’s in line with the PC crowd. It was always a matter of bringing that [PC version] over to consoles, rather than changing it to better fit consoles.”

Recently, there have been some complaints about the PlayStation 4 version of the game, where people reported that it ran at 720p and was visually inferior to the PC version. DICE clarified that they haven’t decided on whether it’s 720p or 1080p on consoles, and that the PS4 version would look like the PC version on medium settings.

Battlefield 4 is currently being shown at PAX, but we’ve heard reports from NeoGAF that the Xbox One version actually runs on Windows 8 PCs with controllers attached. When players paused the game, a mouse cursor appeared. The game is running on high-end PCs that are masked as Xbox One consoles, according to the report.

This wouldn’t be the first time Battlefield 4 ran on PCs disguised as consoles. Back at E3, during Microsoft’s presentation, the Xbox One console wouldn’t launch and DICE used a PC to show the game instead.

While the next gen consoles bring some powerful hardware and features, it’s still a safe bet that the best Battlefield 4 version will be found on the PC. Just as it has been the case throughout the history of the series.

1. Collision
    September 2nd, 2013 at 1:53 pm

This is so funny XD

• whatever
      September 2nd, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hear, hear! Console players? Hardcore? They’re the most casual crowd this planet has ever seen! The people at DICE don’t even know what they’re saying anymore.

• Cicle
        September 3rd, 2013 at 7:40 am

Dice says and does what ea says them to say and do so DON’T blame on DICE but blame EA.

• nancy
      September 3rd, 2013 at 12:30 am

its september already and they haven’t decided this and haven’t decided that…..who else feels this game is rushed?

2. John
    September 2nd, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I stopped trusting Dice after the fiasco that was Batttlefield 3. Showed the PC version on max settings and ignored the Console versions. The only trailers they showed for consoles were extremely edited and cut to make the game look good. Now they seem to be doing the EXACT same thing for Battlefield 4. Might not pick this game up and wait for a friend copy.

• Solkku
      September 2nd, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I started trusting DICE after the excellency that was Battlefield 3.

That’s exactly the way it should be in my opinion. PCs are leaps and bounds ahead of consoles technologically and that’s why games should be using that technology to their advantage, and not “trim” them down to where they run on a console from “the stone age”.

I don’t get the whole idea with consoles anyway. The controller? No, Microsoft Xbox controller works on a PC. Price? Yes, the console price might initially be cheaper than a gaming PC, but after you buy 10 games / year for a console, you’re probably spending 200 bucks more on those than the same games for PC (not to mention Xbox Live Gold membership). It becomes way more expensive in the long run to have a console, than a PC.

That’s just my two cents.

• Scooper121s
        September 2nd, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Well maybe, well I don’t know, people prefer consoles to PC because it isn’t required to have an upgrade every 3 years just so it has optimized graphics, and well maybe on MP games people don’t want to be slower than every one else because they use a controller and perhaps people don’t want a monalithic machine when they don’t really have the space. Maybe people just want to chill out on there bed and not have to be sitting up close and just not really be relaxing. Maybe a lot of things. I for one prefer the simplicity of consoles. I have both consoles (I don’t include wii)and a pc and I prefer my PS3

• Dragan blom
          October 4th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Wow right on the money. I feel the exact Same way.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        September 2nd, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Both platforms have their pros and cons. Use what ever platform you personally prefer and go blow stuff up in Battlefield instead of blowing up over others over their choices.

That’s the way I see it.

• Mini
      September 2nd, 2013 at 7:26 pm

You expected BF3 on current gen consolesto look anywhere near like PC version? LOL you are lost.
      PS3 and 360 are at its end of its life cycle… Of course it’s not going to look awesome on a 7 year old hardware.

You are one of those consoles gamers who have unrealistic expectations or the developers.

• Cicle
        September 3rd, 2013 at 7:44 am

They where at the end of there life cycle 5/6 years ago.

• Witte8
      September 3rd, 2013 at 4:16 am

Really? Every game has it flaws… Common really? BF ain’t no fail?

3. Nicholas Argus
    September 2nd, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Look, gaming trailers and ads are ALWAYS doing this. OF COURSE they are going to show off their best version of the product. You can relate this akin to car commercials. Every time you see a car commercial, theyre pushing an awesome deal or 0% this or whatever. Big Bold letters say car is $20,988. Tiny print illegible at the bottom of screen for 0.5 seconds shows “CAR AS SHOWN $36,988”. They are alwaus showcasing the top tier model with all the options and bells and whistles. Its called advertising and marketing.

• My 1 Cent
      September 2nd, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Word Up.

4. pc elite yo, love me
    September 2nd, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Got a PC, then realized how shitty consoles are.

5. Oh god
    September 2nd, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I hope this isn’t an excuse to deliver an unpolished PC version.
    “Ya so we realised that there’s a larger market in consoles (which is kinda bs because everyone saw the potential years ago) so we had to shift some guys over to give it some extra attention”.
    They wouldn’t do that, right?

• whatever
      September 2nd, 2013 at 7:41 pm

They would. Pretty sure this is one of the reasons BF3 turned out to be garbage, because they switched the main platform to consoles in mid-development.

September 3rd, 2013 at 4:12 am

Even so called next gen consoles will be far inferior to the likes of us hardcore PC gamers who spend what it takes to keep stay well ahead of consoles.

7. badlittlerobots
    September 3rd, 2013 at 9:43 am

Accept this didn’t really happen because at every demo they’ve done they’ve had both a keyboard and mouse AND an Xbox controller and gave the player the choice of what they wanted to use since not every conference attendee was a PC player. They even talked in the live stream during gamescon about it.

8. Tim
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I play on a console because I don’t have the money to keep upgrading a 3000 dollar PC all the time. Gold only costs 40 bucks a year and games work every time I put them in. where as on a PC I always need to upgrade something for the next big game. Of course games are going to be a little better on a PC. that’s obvious because PCs can upgrade their hardware every couple of months. Consoles keep what they have from the beginning. All I ask is that you make the console version as good as possible for that particular console. Let the PC boys have their fancy new features, gay nude skin mods, and “better than thou” attitudes. I just want a solid game that is fun and fair.

• Dragan blom
      October 4th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Amen.

9. Duck_of_Doom
    September 4th, 2013 at 6:02 am

Right on Tim. My home PC is a work platform…not a gaming machine. My kids use the PS3 for games and so do I. Elitist remarks on how “My PC rules, you console guys are lame” is just pure infantile drivel.

Dice is making a game to play for all types of gamers (hard core, casual, newbies) and I hope this game will exceed expectations for all.

Personally, I could care less if it was 720 or 1080…are you really looking that closely at the screen to try and spot the difference when you are in the middle of a game of conquest? If so, I don’t want you on my team…

I hope they make it very playable, run smoothly with good servers and connections and support the heck out of it.

My two cents.

10. Tyrane
    September 4th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’m a console only player and I’m extremely casual. I think if you want to play a game like battlefield on a console then you’d better expect a toned down version as I do. all console fanboys who are sayin they machine is stronger than a PC needs to stop. it’s simple, really. if you want to pick up a controller and slump back on a couch talking to your friends on an xbox live party and play about an hour or two maybe once or twice a week, pick up a console. if you want to play hardcore two or three hours a day and try to be the best or one of the best, pick up a PC.

September 7th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Next gen consoles won’t and will not beat my 4700k @ 4.7 ghz 16gb of ram 2 gtx 780 classifieds in SLI at 2560 x 1600 resolution period.

• GeneralDummkopf
      September 7th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Cant tell if sarcastic or serious