All Battlefield 4 field upgrades revealed

Complete breakdown of all the field upgrades and perks found in the game.

Instead of specializations, Battlefield 4 will feature a brand new upgrade and perk system, called Field Upgrades. The field upgrades in the game are based on how well the player and his squad perform on the battlefield. The better they’re doing, the quicker they level up in their upgrade tree.

There are a number of field upgrades available, from extra ammo, to faster sprint, to better armor. These are then grouped in different categories. For example, the “Defensive” field upgrade path starts with extra armor as Level 1, then moves on to reduced suppression at Level 2, to Flak as Level 3, and finally, quicker health regen as Level 4.

Players can chose between 11 different Battlefield 4 field upgrades, each consisting of 4 levels of unlocks. Here is the complete list of the upgrades:

List of Battlefield 4 field upgrade paths

Defensive: Armor – Cover – Flak – Quick regen
Offensive: Print – Ammo – Grenades – Reduced Fall
Shadow: Quick unspot – Sprint – Reduced Fall – Stealth
Combat Medic: Medkit upgrade – Sprint – Defibrillator upgrade – Medical Unit
Grenadier: Grenades – Sprint – 40mm grenades – Flak
Anti-tank: Mines – Rockets – More deployed explosives – Flak
Mechanic: Fast repair – Flak – Cover – Repair unit
Indirect fire: Ammo box upgrade – Ammo – Indirect fire – Resupply unit
Perimeter defense: Ammo – SuppressionClaymores – MP-APS upgrade
Spec Ops: Stealth – C4 ExplosivesMotion sensors – Quick unspot
Sniper: Hold breath – Cover – Quick Unspot – Advanced spot

As you can see, some of the most popular perks are recycled between the different upgrade paths, such as sprint and ammo. Players can chose whichever upgrade path they wish, and these will individually progress throughout the match for each player in the squad. However, should the squad be eliminated (all players in the squad are dead at the same time), the field upgrades will reset to level 1.

For a detailed explanation on the different field upgrades, check out the images below:

Battlefield 4 field upgrades list

Battlefield 4 field upgrades list 2

bf4-upgrades-3

bf4-upgrades-4

bf4-upgrades-5

bf4-upgrades-6

1. Auslaender
    September 14th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

These are smart changes- I hope they keep HardCore mode in mind when improving- BF3 hardcore mode had way too much HUD shit on-screen! Player names and Flag letters in the middle of your screen, turn all that shit off!

September 14th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Looks like a lot of changes, will take some time to get used to being so used to BF3 for the last 2 yrs.

3. Chris NZ
    September 15th, 2013 at 1:26 am

So are these class specific?
    I.E Engineer has Mechanic and Anti tank only??

• GamerWithNoComputer
      September 15th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

The first 3 are universal, all the others are specific to a class (2 for the medic, 2 for the support, 2 for the engi, 2 for the recon). In fact you’ll get 4 path per class

4. BF4
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:09 am

Not really feeling this but won’t know till I play it they should of added like a weapon upgrade

5. flamingfirewolf
    September 16th, 2013 at 6:17 am

it says for the “combat medic” that the defibs will need to be charged up……i like that idea and i hope that it becomes a big thing that you can’t just go rambo with the revives….

6. PSN Einsnico
    September 18th, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I like the perk system, it will encourage players to play with squads.

Also @bf4central are guys adding a forum section, or anyone, where’s the place to go to look for new clans for BF4? either PS3 or PS4?

• D. Coogan
      October 9th, 2013 at 6:52 am

I HIGHLY doubt this will encourage more teamwork among players… Especially random squads. I still find it amazing that after so many installments from this franchise, that the majority of players, at least those I’ve had the wonderful chance to play with, do NOT have a clue that in order to succeed, you need to work within your squad. Let alone your team. God bless America!

Typical BF players thought process:

“Chose SUPPORT class, and one of my own squadmates started shooting my face out of nowhere, and there’s a giant ammo symbol blinking on him, and… Some AI player’s voice keeps shouting: I NEED AMMO! I wonder why this guy keeps annoying me, shooting my face?! Hope he’ll stop it once he runs out of ammo…”

7. HAXTC
    October 2nd, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Very very nice.. much more creative and a lot better than BF3 if you ask me. Most people hardly changed their squad specialization EVEN if all 4 had the same.

8. Chizzo
    October 6th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I’m liking these changes. Specifically, they encourage squad and objective play.

The game also pretty much ensures that either you play smart or you lose. In other words, maximizing your field upgrades means ensuring the whole squad isn’t wiped out. That’s also important obviously for defending or attacking objectives.

These additions are important, even offensive and defensive which I’ve both used and gone all the way up to max level with, make a significant difference. Even if you aren’t a fast-twitch dead-eye shooter, you can help your squad and team by playing smart. Running and hiding when last man standing or even better, as squad leader giving proper and prompt instructions.

I cannot WAIT for commander mode.

I’m thoroughly impressed with the beta.

9. Slideways
    November 8th, 2013 at 5:46 am

This sounds great in theory but in practice it sucks. If you don’t always play with “your” squad you never get the level up. This drives people to form teams and never play with anyone else. If you get a bunch of new guys then you only wind up getting owned even worse because the “teams” will level up. This is a fail big time.

10. Lecram
    January 5th, 2014 at 11:00 am

Doesn’t work half of the time!!!

11. Tom
    January 24th, 2014 at 9:56 am

I can’t wait for the “PRINT” field upgrade. I’ll be submitting TPS reports SO FAST I’ll make MVP every single time.