Battlefield 4 won’t feature the M16A3, apparently

The most overpowered and notorious gun in BF3 won't be featured in Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 M16A3If there was one weapon that was overpowered in BF3, it was the M16A3, otherwise known as the full auto version of the M16A4 assault rifle. And for those who constantly complained about it, they’ll be happy to hear that Battlefield 4 will apparently not feature the M16A3, only its burst-fire brother, the M16A4.

According to Battlefield 4 multiplayer lead designer (and weapons expert) Alan Kertz, the A3 full auto version will not be in the game when it launches. However, given its popularity in BF3, we’re sure the gun will be available down the line in future DLC, albeit a bit more balanced than the one found in BF3.

While the M16A3’s damage and rate of fire were comparable to other weapons, it had ridiculously low recoil and great accuracy, making it the best all round weapon in BF3. We’re surprised that DICE still hasn’t just fixed this with a quick patch.

While several Battlefield 4 videos have shown the M16A3, DICE confirmed that this was indeed the A4 variety, it was only mislabeled as the A3. This should be fixed in time for the upcoming beta, which starts early next month. The game will feature over a dozen different assault rifles, many of them which we haven’t seen in the series before.

Did you find the M16A3 overpowered in BF3? are you happy the gun is gone from Battlefield 4? Let us know in the comments section!

TAGS:

1. iRocket
    September 11th, 2013 at 11:59 am

And the people rejoiced…

• whatever
      September 11th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Don’t worry, they’ll find another weapon to turn into an OP laser.

• phobia
      September 12th, 2013 at 6:41 am

I don’t get how people can be so ignorant. While the name, model, caliber, rate of fire and ammo capacity are based on the real rifle, all other variables are NOT. Hip spread, ADS spread, kick, horizontal recoil, vertical recoil, reload time are values assigned to the gun by DICE. So I don’t care whatever the name of the gun is, those values I mentioned simply need to be balanced right.

• fred
      November 14th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

we need it back how do u take it out not cool not cool at all

• Rensin_1990
      February 17th, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I loved the M16A3 with the 6X scope. But I have to say It doesn’t matter. also Weapons expert is a stretch. The scar-H in battlefield 3 had a short barrel and the Scar-l had a long one. Someone needs to tell him he got it backwards lol.

2. Whut
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Haters gonna hate…

The M16A3 is no more OP than the AEK or the M416. It’s one of the first guns unlocked, which is why a lot of people stuck with it. I’ve seen just as many people rape face with an AN-94, or a PP19 or hell, 870 with slugs – which are mostly one hit kills.

People just need a reason to complain other than simply saying to themselves “This guy is owning with an M16 maybe I should try it”…or “I must suck”

• Storm_Worm5364
      September 12th, 2013 at 1:09 am

Yes it is, it has better accuracy and no recoil… Which makes it overpowered since is one of the most powerful ARs in the game….

• LDMak90
        September 16th, 2013 at 5:41 am

NO it is NOT overpowered. Only in the minds of cry baby fools who know little to nothing about the real life versions of the weapons in BF3 AND how DICE created the abilities of the weapons. In efforts to make them as realistic as possible they handled and shot the real life versions, analyzed all the data recorded and created the digital versions from that info. Those of us who have had the pleasure of shooting the weapons in real life know that the recoil is little to none and the accuracy of the weapon can pull off amazing shots at distance. The buff of the m16a3 was to patronize the cry baby BS … and now they remove it for the same reason. However, personally I don’t care much about the change. A good shooter is a good shooter with any weapon… and there’s plenty good shooters who can’t wait to rape the cry babies in BF4… so you all get ready to cry more ok? You will be getting owned with or without the M16A3. Trust that… over and out.

• M416 Master
          October 25th, 2013 at 5:13 am

You couldn’t be anymore correct.

• ADDGAM3R
          January 13th, 2014 at 7:46 am

I HOOAH! that comment

3. Richy G
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Honestly.. this gun never bothered me at all.
    I never use it nor care if anyone else does..

It doesnt seem that Op ,My G3 laughs in its face

• kozowh
      September 12th, 2013 at 7:59 am

I agree. The G3 rules. On single-shot, I’ve taken out lots of snipers.

4. Jal
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

acually, in my own opionion the MP7 and AEK-971 is much better.

5. kennz
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

ALAN KERZT ( WEAPONS EXPERT )? LOL. SHOTGUN 870 AN OVER POWERED JOKE. YOU CAN HAVE THE DROP ON SOMEONE AND PUT 20 BULLETS IN THEM JUST TO BE ONE SHOT DEATH.

• Storm_Worm5364
      September 12th, 2013 at 1:11 am

Ahmmm, You know that doesn’t make sense right… He can be an weapon expert, and the 870 isn’t overpowered… You just don’t like shotguns… You probably play TDM Noshaar all the time…

• AM8532
        September 12th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Right you are. A 12-gauge 2 /4″ slug has a muzzle energy of 2520.5 ft-lbs (regardless of the shotgun it is fired out of). Just to compare, the 62 grain 5.56 fired out of an M16A3 has a muzzle energy of 1322.8 ft-lbs. I love how people complain about 870’s. Uhmmm its not even automatic, if you miss you are screwed. If you want to balance the game get rid of the auto shotguns…I know Battlefield is not a simulation, nor should it be. But come on, 12 gauge slugs are serious man stoppers inside of 100 yards, as they should be. Farther than that they should totally suck. That same slug drops 30.76 inches at 200 yards! I’d like to see that in the game. No more viking sniper shotgun!

6. ShavedApe
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Nothing has changed another gun will inevitably take its place. Chances are in BF4 the a3 wouldn’t of been the same weapon anyway and with so many other weapons added there will invectively be another goto gun.

7. BF4
    September 11th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

This weapon wasn’t overpowered at all the AEK was a tad bit I don’t find any weapon to be extremely overpowered to be removed my opinion

8. jaredlemonsauce
    September 11th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

The m16a3 is in bf4? I’ve even seen it in use in videos.

• TheHippotail
      September 11th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Did you read the post? It was mis-labeled in the current versions of the game. Are you that dumb?

• Tenzing
      September 11th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Reread. Its was a mislabel.

9. Methodoc
    September 11th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

The M16A3, AEK, M4A1 are OP, but the M16A3 takes the prize. The proof is there, next time you get killed by one look at the service stars, mostly 100s. I recently had to change to it because other weapons are no match. Almost no recoil and kills at any range.

• Whut
      September 11th, 2013 at 7:26 pm

No but you must be, read the 2nd to last paragraph…

• D
      September 12th, 2013 at 12:53 am

C’mon bro lets be real the m16a3 and a4 are dynamic weapons look at its stats in real life it’s a real accurate gun it’s a beast and and it’s better than the m16 is better than the m4 I don’t know about tha AEK but in all reality no gun can be called over powered if its accurate to its real life stats which no gun in this game is (only cause headshots don’t kill you in one shot and 2 or 3 body shots won’t kill you) u really can’t say a gun is over powered

10. Hulk4D
    September 11th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Had no problem with it. Didn’t care too much about those offended by it and certainly didn’t care if I was killed by it. Didn’t think it was over-powered and thought it was accurately represented as a good multi-situational weapon. A great gun to play with on all maps and develop as a favorite to stick with, if the player so desired. God forbid.

The A4 is a little dose of modern military reality though – and I appreciate that.

11. Camps
    September 11th, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I didn’t like the feel of the gun, but I don’t care what gun kills me anyways. I was more of a M416/AUG type person anyways. Hell, I personally thought the AEK was a better gun than the m16

12. sidikus
    September 11th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

The m16a3 was overpowered? Seriously? Lol who the hell said that? If the m16a3 is overpowered then so is every other assault rifle in assault class Lmao. Listen up kids the only overpowered thing in that game is the slug rounds on the shotties. One hit kill no matter where it hits,hell you can even snipe with them and have no bullet drop. Dice,you want to tweak or take out something start with the slugs. And if you do axe an assault rifle then ay least replace it with another one. Battlefield needs a wider selction of class specific weapons

13. flamingfirewolf
    September 11th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

the fact that there will not be a m16a3 has really stunned me as it was my most used gun…….i didn’t Think that it was OP but I just used it because I was from the xbox and I just needed a gun that I could get a few kills with when I started……if they just made it have a bit more recoil then it would be fine and then the AEK-971 would be the top gun and then that gun would not be in BF4…… so really I think that it is stupid that it is not in bf4…….if it will come out in future DLC then it’s all fine by me.

14. Auslaender
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:04 pm

The gun will probably be in an expansion pack along with the AN-94, etc

15. Battlefield Soldier
    September 11th, 2013 at 10:04 pm

No! I’m not happy that the gun is removed from the game. I don’t even think its OP. A lot of players are gonna miss the M16A3.

• Buthead
      September 17th, 2013 at 3:40 am

Me too, i love this M16A3, the gun i love to most. I will then use M416 and M4A1.

16. ArithonUK
    September 12th, 2013 at 12:52 am

I’d prefer they put a “whine and complain” filter in the chat, instead of removing perfectly good guns.
    The amount of time as a server admin that’s wasted by dealing with players that whine about “i was shot round a corner” and “he killed me in one shot, so he’s hacking”. When they were shot by a second player (not the one they were firing at) or they were already below 100% and were head-shot.

17. Chiclenball
    September 12th, 2013 at 11:24 am

Why does this story start with THE most op gun in the game is the M16a3. Clearly the worst was usas and frags, but the nerf fixed that. The M16a3 was a well rounded rifle which is why so many people used it. But in close the F2000 owns it. At range the G3a3 and An94 own it. Hell, on hardcore, the KH2002 can kill in one burst if placed decently. Granted, its a solid gun in many situations, but hardly deserving of the hate. I never use it…. view it as kind of a noobish gun, and laugh at the lvl 100 colonels who have 100 stars with it.

18. Nicholas Argus
    September 12th, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hardcore mode
    M16A4 3-round burst

landing all three shots on center mass is a one-trigger-pull kill every time.

Accuracy thru the roof.

19. Guy
    September 18th, 2013 at 6:39 am

The new multiplier trailer shows this as an option.

20. Dubious Squirrel
    September 19th, 2013 at 4:57 am

I’m not really bothered whether its there or not, as long as the assault class from each faction gets at least a couple of decent assault rifles. I’m not sure I’d call the A3 totally overpowered, close to medium range the AEK wins most of the time. But its definitely the most versatile and widely used gun and could have been balanced a little better.

21. keee0000
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:58 pm

This is a perfect rifle for the rookie,do not cancel.

22. Connor
    October 2nd, 2013 at 4:13 am

Wow, it is NOT over powered. You are bitches for thinking it is. If they dont put it back in I will just hack it back into the game! It is my favorite rifle! If you bitch about it and hate that it is a good rifle like any other USE IT, not that hard. There will always be a gun people hate, its just that this gun is this accurate and low recoil. Quit being a whiny bitch.

23. Anonymous
    October 7th, 2013 at 7:15 am

The gun doesn’t bother me so much, its when colonel 100’s with 100 service starts still use it. They don’t need to, they have nothing more to achieve.

24. M416 Master
    October 25th, 2013 at 5:10 am

That’s a pain that it’s not going to be in the release version, but it makes me happy that it will be in the DLC. I thought it wasn’t going to be in the game at all.

25. Xefyer
    November 12th, 2013 at 11:10 pm

AN-94 for life.

26. Steven
    January 2nd, 2014 at 4:35 am

U know what dice it’s just game right so u shouldn’t not remove m16a3 it was my best gun . The people the one talk about A3 they should go play black ops better for them . I hope u DICE get back the M16A3 plz plz plz

27. andy