Battlefield 4 Xbox One demo actually ran on a PC

Microsoft tried to disguise a PC as an Xbox One when they showed off BF4 at PAX

Battlefield 4 at PAX
At the recent PAX event, DICE and EA were present to show off Battlefield 4. And so was Microsoft, who were eager to show the game on its new Xbox One console. Only Battlefield 4 actually ran on a high end PC with an Xbox One controller attached, with Microsoft trying to disguise the PC as an Xbox One console.

Microsoft’s Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb, the Xbox marketing guy, promised gamers at PAX a Battlefield 4 demo on the Xbox One. And Microsoft had set up several stations where players could play Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One. Sort of.

When players paused the game, a Windows mouse cursor appeared. Players could even exit to reveal a complete Windows 8 set up. And when someone peaked under the table, they found PC systems (as the image below shows). To make matters worse, the Battlefield 4 match was nothing like the 64-player matches set up at E3 and GamesCom. They were 8 vs 8 matches, with no weapons or accessories unlocked.

Last week, DICE revealed that Battlefield 4 actually runs at 720p on consoles (but still at 60 frames per second). Once again, PC players will get the definitive version of the game.

DICE recently said that they had “underestimated console” gamers. While PC gamers will still get the graphically best version of the game, the next-gen console versions will still include all the major multiplayer features, such as the new Commander mode and 64 player multiplayer.

Battlefield 4 at PAX PC

Images via NeoGAF.

1. krumpirko888
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:51 am

isn’t this second times that happened to xbox one (first one was with other game i think) ?

2. j0n3s
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:52 am

the new consoles are actually pc’s same architecture. the xbox one os is actualy a recodet version of windows 8! so who cares?

3. KENNZ
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:55 am

DICE PORT OF BF3 @ 4 ON CONSOLES ARE SHIT, THEY HAVE NO SKILLS. I CAN NAME 5 OR MORE GAME ENGINES THAT ARE BETTER THAN FROSTBITE, LOL.

• John
      September 4th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This is my point exactly. No one blames DICE for this nonsense and its pissing me off. They clearly need to get their shit together because all this marketing bullshit is tiring. “Hey lets show off super high end pc gaming and attach Xbox One and Playstion 4 to the title to SCREW OUR CONSOLE PLAYERS OVER”. All we’ve been seeing is pc graphics and probably will until launch. I never expected the console versions to look absolutely beastly, but this is false advertising to its fullest. Thank god I didn’t preorder this.

• Ronaldo Lopes
        September 4th, 2013 at 9:12 pm

They don’t have an Xbox One! It’s a dev-kit A.K.A Xbox One simulator on PC. It’s called marketing, of course that you will always see the better version. It isn’t DICE’s fault if Microsoft chooses to lie to the gamers and choose the PC version over the Xbox One… And I don’t give a s**t if it is ported to consoles, because there are many, many games that are poorly ported to PC and it seems like no one cares about that…

• John
          September 6th, 2013 at 10:25 am

Last time they showed off BF3, it was ALL ultra high pc gameplay and like one minute of console gameplay. Look at how that game turned out. I just think Dice needs to concentrate on making the best BF possible and NOT trying to go head to head with CoD. Of course console version, pc has no worries.

• Alex
        September 5th, 2013 at 7:13 am

It was an Xbox One event.. Dice wasn’t involved.

• Isso
      September 4th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Please do. Enlighten me with your infinite wisdom ye who knows all.

• N-Shifter
      September 4th, 2013 at 1:42 pm

How exactly is it Dice’s fault that the Xbone isn’t ready to play the game, it was the same at E3 for another game. This is M$’s fault, not Dice or the Frostbite engine.

• John
        September 6th, 2013 at 10:29 am

If your DEVLOPING the game yeah it’s your fault. It’s amazing how quick y’all blame everyone but the logical choice. Granted its a new console launch, dice has struggled overall with console games, once frostbite 2 arrived.

• Anonymous
      October 20th, 2013 at 9:09 am

Don’t be so naive, Just because there is no development kit for frostbite it doesn’t mean its bad (which is why some people think its bad for some reason). There may be some engines more suited to other games but frostbite 3 seems like a very good engine, especially for fps games and I doubt there are five better suited for the task that will get the same results.

4. Camps
    September 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Not really. It’s more of a “Hey, let’s play a game on a $5000 gaming computer with top notch specs”..

Anyways, Glad to see Major Nelson lie some more….starting to think he knows the Xb1 can’t handle some games or something.

• Austin Quinn
      September 4th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

You do realize the Major Nelson is just told what to say right?

5. Filip
    September 4th, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Does not anyone understand that these are dev-kits? DICE have already said this. They have not yet recieved the real Xbox One dev-kits, so they have to run it on PC’s with similar hardware. God, this website annoys me from time to time.

• N-Shifter
      September 4th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

“They have not yet received the real Xbox One dev-kits” – What? At this stage you are saying devs don’t even have XBox One dev kits, don’t be ridiculous. The consoles release in 2 months, people have played the game on actual PS4’s. Again, this is M$’s fault if they are not ready to show the game on an actual XBone.

• James
        September 4th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Please explain how this is MS fault. Last time I checked Dice is making this game. Or am i wrong?

• Ronaldo Lopes
          September 4th, 2013 at 9:17 pm

You have got to be kidding me… Let’s say that you are making a console and I’m the one making the game You give me a PC simulator of your console (a dev-kit)… And then I need to show my game on a console that I doesn’t even have??? And of course it was Microsoft’s fault because they chose to show the PC version…

• John
            September 6th, 2013 at 10:36 am

Wow a true fanboy lol. Granted its a new console launch, ill give some credit. But regardless, the negative press about the ps4 version should have all console players worried. We all know the game will be sick on pc, but what about the masses(console)? The fact that they haven’t come out and SHOWN how the game will look, at this point in time, is frightening. Ill be waiting for YouTube videos for this buy.

• Anonymous
          October 20th, 2013 at 9:14 am

Well of course its microsofts fault, they said it would be on an xBox one and they haven’t got it on an xbox. Dice can’t go and buy twenty or however many xbox one’s to show of their game.

• jay
      September 4th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I agree my only concern is I hope everything runs smoothly on ps4 it seems like a very small window for dice to do testing on these new consoles

• ViKrieg
      September 4th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Than that sounds really, really sad on the Xbox’s part. The release date is only a short few months away, and they still haven’t gotten to work with the dev-kits this entire time?
      They are going to have to rush incredibly hard to get the game developed for Xbox One, in that case!

• Filip
        September 4th, 2013 at 11:37 pm

They have sort of dev-kits, in PC form. So its the same internals as in the Xbox One, but not in the Xbox case. Im pretty sure DICE would not risk getting caught “cheating” with saying that it was played on a Xbox, while it really was a way more powerful PC.

6. oscarMtz88
    September 4th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Not surprised, almost every build its not on console.

PC MUSTARD RACE

7. ViKrieg
    September 4th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’m a PC gamer, and I can attest that consoles are in fact, not “shit”, as you claim them to be.
    Playing games on a different platform does not make it any less crappier.
    Console players will still get everything they’ve promised with Battlefield 4.
    Just without all the shiny graphical bells and whistles.
    Whatever the case may be, don’t knock down another crowd that rolls differently from you.
    Peace

• warghostmon
      September 5th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Good on you ViK; it dosen’t matter what console you play:we all love battlefield and all that should really matter is that we get the complete experience of the game for our platform and not one constrained by publishers.

8. Jim cos
    September 4th, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Consoles aren’t actually next gen and are actually mid range PCs and will be utter garbage after 1 or 2 years.

Funny if you ask me.

• FurryYiff_1887
      September 4th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

The reason being is because if they did build consoles with more semi current hardware the price would skyrocket and people wouldn’t by them so they have to make cuts somewhere. Yes i would have to agree that these are mid to low tier PC specs but at least its progress, I may be a PC gamer but still happy to see consoles trying to keep up.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      September 4th, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Console manufacturers could make a amazing console that could run a game like Battlefield 4 in 1080p, ultra graphics with a solid 60 FPS in intense combat situations on a huge widescreen HD TV. However, that would be expensive.Trying to market a $800+ console wouldn’t be very easy either so they want to keep things cheap so their customers can afford it and to make it tougher on their competition.

The point is even with consoles you pay for what you get. You just can’t make a super gaming console out of a few hundred dollars that can keep up with top notch $850+ gaming PC’s.

And give consoles some credit. They’re going to be running at 60 FPS, 720p with 64 players on huge HD widescreen TV’s all with what, $350 hardware? I don’t know what you think, but $350 hardware doing all that is simply amazing. $350 computers are usually only good for browsing the internet.

• chibitaco
        September 5th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The size of the TV doesn’t matter, only the resolution and 720 isn’t that impressive to be honest.

9. Jaosn
    September 4th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I dont see the big deal here… we play the game because we like how it plays not because we sit there a masturbate over how the game looks, its just a bonus for it to look good….Minecraft graphics anyone…That game still kicks ass.

September 7th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Consoles lol.There is a reason I spend thousands every couple of years upgrading my PC. It looks the best plays the best there is no substitute for PC gaming.

11. Common Sense
    September 10th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

The fact that a number of individuals on here are being antagonistic toward console players and toward PC players is pathetic, if I had started out playing PC than a console I’m pretty sure I’d be saying the same thing again.
    We may or may not choose how we play the game on any platform but we all play the same game, grow up seriously “PC graphics are still better than consoles” (showing your maturaty) can you guess my care factor with what you play the game we all want to play on?(No, come on guess, Hint? Its in the negatives!)
    I couldn’t care less with what I was playing the game on as long as I got to play the game with a couple of mates i’m happy, stop fighting.
    to sum up what im trying to say watch the video link:

12. Cpt. Levi
    September 13th, 2013 at 8:11 am

It’s the passion for gaming that counts. Personally I switched because Microsoft still is charging 60$ a year just to play games. This kind of marketing just isn’t good enough. Ripping consumers money for industry standard services?

Cut out the arguing and show respect for each other. Good games will always have the respect and love.

13. yolololtrol
    November 8th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

At least when I play on consoles, I will have no more hackers! Yaaaaaaaay! This is why I want a console! NO MORE HACKERS!