AMD paid up to $8 million for Battlefield 4 deal

AMD paid EA up to $8 million USD in order to get exclusive use of BF4 to promote its upcoming products.

AMD Battlefield 4CPU and GPU maker AMD has been promoting Battlefield 4 with its new hardware for some time now. AMD supplied the PCs that powered Battlefield 4 at various trade shows such as E3 and GamesCom, and they recently announced a limited edition of their new graphics cards to be bundled with the game.

According to our sources, AMD paid EA up to $8 million for the rights to use Battlefield 4 to promote its hardware products. Other publications reported a more conservative $5 million number. The deal also gives AMD the right to bundle Battlefield 4 with various graphics card products. The deal is exclusive to AMD, which means you won’t be seeing Battlefield 4 bundled with Nvidia or Intel hardware anytime soon.

Part of the deal included AMD giving Battlefield 4 developer DICE early access to the new “Mantle” API technology. The game will support the new tech in an update in December, which is said to bring much better performance to AMD Radeon graphics cards.

The deal also gives AMD the right to use Battlefield 4 to showcase the Mantle technology and various hardware products over the next year.

These sort of partnerships are nothing new, but with an $8 million price tag, it might be one most lucrative one to date.

1. GeneralDummkopf
    October 11th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I can’t wait for the new drivers!

2. ViKrieg
    October 11th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I hope the game is still pretty optimized for Nvidia hardware.
    Mah poor GTX cards!
    ;-;

• George
      October 12th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Yeah… Selling my GTX 660 SuperClocked card along with older GTX 460 both from EVGA. Bought ASUS card with 3GB 7950 and loving it so far. It is huge and all… I got it because my hardware is all AMD and board is ASUS already so I figured why not go get an AMD. Also, because the game is optimized for AMD stuff.

3. Wintyr
    October 12th, 2013 at 6:44 am

AMD made Mantle Api open source so basicly anyone even nvidia could add it to there driver support. Mabey some nice person will come out with some custom nvidia drivers with support for it.

• Mike
      October 13th, 2013 at 12:01 am

No it is not open source and no Nvidia could not support it considering it’s GCN specific. It doesn’t even work on AMD cards older than the 7000 series. Why are so many people confused what Mantle works on?

October 12th, 2013 at 7:17 am

Runs just fine for me at 2560 x 1600 res 2 gtx 780 classifieds.. Bleh to AMD.

5. Boop
    October 12th, 2013 at 10:54 am

Still wont convince me to buy AMD…. AMD will always be rubbish!

Their drivers are shit

• EliaS
      October 13th, 2013 at 1:34 am

The same old excuse from a decade ago. You idiots have never used an AMD card and keep harping about this silly excuse. In fact, I have more issues with nVidia drivers than I do with AMD ones.

• MX
      January 22nd, 2014 at 6:16 am

Yet another clueless idiot.

Having used both AMD and Nvidia for a long time, I can honestly say that Nvidia aren’t nearly as perfect as many fanboys claim they are. Both AMD and Nvidia have made some excellent and some rubbish cards/drivers in the past and they will always continually leap-frog each other in terms of fastest GPUs. But why not be a little open minded and research what is currently the best product instead of being an ignorant biased moron who brute forces his likeness for an inferior product just to save face and not admit that he was wrong?! Pathetic.

6. TheHippotail
    October 12th, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Man, that looked beautiful. Oh, what I would do for my PC if I was rich. Dammit. Now the entire game looks like pacman in comparison to my video settings.

• George
      October 12th, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Leave Pacman outta this. That game is the shit.

7. Rikard
    October 15th, 2013 at 3:28 am

Next up, AMD improves GPU-drivers for Linux and Battlefield 4 gets a Linux-port……. Yay!