DICE isn’t trying to make Battlefield 4 look the same on all platforms

Developer DICE aims to make BF4 look as good as possible on all platforms.

Battlefield 4 PC screenshot
It’s common for developers to try and get their games to look the same on all platforms, even if it means that it has to be toned down on some systems in order to achieve graphical parity. Not so much with Battlefield 4, says developer DICE.

According to DICE’s Patrick Bach, they aren’t trying to make Battlefield 4 look the same on all platforms. Instead, their goal is to make it as good as possible as each of the platforms allow. Of course, this means that the game will look better on some systems compared to others, which in return attracts a lot of fanboy love/hate.

For example, Battlefield 4 will run at 900p resolution on the PS4, but only in 720p on the Xbox One. Bach says that no matter what, people will compared the different versions and “judge us based on that, rather than comparing us to other games on the platform”.

Bach points out that Battlefield 4 should be compared to other games on the same system, not against other platforms altogether. Battlefield 4 will launch on both current and next gen systems, and the PC. The PC version will be the best looking one, depending on the kind of hardware players have. Check out the recent screenshots to see just how realistic the game looks on the PC.

The full interview can be found at OXM

1. Bill
    October 16th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I think that dice has confirmed that ps4 and Xbox one will have the same resolution

• Tyrane
      October 16th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I hope it is. I wot be able to deal with the amount of Sony fagboys running around bragging about the resolution comparison.

• cdotcizzle
      October 16th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Pretty sure this statement JUST verified that is incorrect. And this is the ABSOLUTE right thing to do, make it as physically best as the said platform allows!

• Ren
        October 16th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

What statement? I see no quote… I went to the reference article… nothing about resolution. Shoddy article.

• TheHippotail
          October 17th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I think he means this article. The one we’re posting our comments on.

• Johnny Neat
      October 17th, 2013 at 9:04 am

Exactly what I know about it. Microsoft money wouldn’t easily allow any game to look better on another console. If it’s not timed or exclusive content, Microsoft will make sure game experiences seem better or look comparable on multi-platform games. 360′s bigger install base and apparently unlimited money kept multi-platform games better treated on 360. Could BF3, for example, have looked better on PS3, of course? But Microsoft won’t easily go for that and money talks.

2. Jesus
    October 16th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

So the PS4 is going to have better graphics than the xbox one?

3. N-Shifter
    October 16th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

inB4 Xboners unite in hatred?

4. Homer
    October 16th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

lol at console resolutions and horrible graphics.

Im going to enjoy BF4 with 2560×1440 and everything on ultra settings, its going to be awesome!

• ViKroeg
      October 16th, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Sounds like BL got himself a second account.
      All these rez whore, braggers are entertaining.
      I own a 2560×1600 display as well.
      But you’ll never see me brag about my resolution on here.
      Grow up, nice to see more immature individuals kicking the PC gamer image in the teeth.

• Killzone VII
        October 19th, 2013 at 9:39 am

What? Are you actually a pc gamer that ISN’T bragging about your rig specs, talking about how inferior pathetic consoles are, how they’re holding back pc gaming etc…? IMPOSSIBRU. Seriously though guys like you are few and far between, you’re part of a rare species and for that, I tip my hat to you sir.

• ViKrieg
          October 19th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Thank you very much for that kind comment! I try and be as level headed as possible, especially on this site.
          Since there seems to be a lack of unbiased PC gamers on here, and it saddens me to see so many immature individuals spew such nonsense, as to what dictates fun and what doesn’t.
          (I’ll let you in on a secret, what pleases you personally i.e big resolutions and shiny graphics, may not be what makes a game pleasing to another person.)
          And it’s hard to see why so many people don’t seem to get that through their thick skulls.

October 16th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

900p please, so much for so called next gen, laughable. So glad I game on PC.30 inch 2560 x 1600 ultra, 2 gtx 780 classifieds, 16gb ram, i7 4770 @ 4.8. suck it console noobs.

• ViKroeg
      October 16th, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Agree whole heartedly, sad thing is.
      BL is one of the easiest trolls to spot from a mile away.
      In fact, how often he “brags” about his setup, the more, and more I doubt he even owns any of that.
      Keep it classy BL, never change, you shining, bright ambassador of the PC gaming community!
      You rock!

• mohammad
      October 17th, 2013 at 4:01 am

pc bitch race logic : graphics first , gameplay last thing .

• ViKrieg
        October 18th, 2013 at 4:55 am

Yep, keep on feeding BL with what he wants Mohammad.
        He wants all that rage and irritation spoon fed to him.
        Not all PC gamers are even close to this guy.
        But almost all “elitists” are the same in thinking on every platform.
        I mean just look at this article to see what I mean.
        PS4 fanboys bragging about how their system is more powerful than the Xbox One, instead of enjoying games on all platforms.
        So yeah, it’s not just limited to the PC.

• mohammad
          October 18th, 2013 at 11:29 am

i know there’s many good people on pc but those bitch races just making the good pc player look bad i mean if one of them ( bitch race ) have 1440 res & brag about it then another bitch race jump on him & say i have 1600 res & brag on everybody like he bought everything by him self which he didn’t it’s like they are bragging on both consoles & the good pc gamers .

• ViKrieg
            October 18th, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I know it can be very hard to ignore what trolls and flame war starters say.
            But trying to fight fire with fire isn’t going to put it out.
            It’s only going to make it worse.
            The best you can do, is to reply back in a mature, non-biased, matter.
            And leave it at that.
            Or if it gets to hard to remain your composer, than just leave the fool to his own devises and don’t waste a sigle breath on him.
            I know you got a good heart man, and passion is a great thing to have.
            But you need to choose your fights carefully.
            Because trying to argue with BL’s retardedness is only going tomake you madder because he won’t take his words back.
            And believe me, he never will.

• Mike
      October 25th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I own a PC that has 2 AMD 7990s in it and i still wont be playing this game on PC. You know why? Because when ever i play against my friends who have modest setups (around 2k) they constantly say “dude if i had a beast computer like yours then i would be kicking everyones ass as well” every time i kill them. Its never my skill that beats them, its apperently my $6000 computer (i use it for work too, so it was a nice investment). So i switched to Xbox 360 and purchased a couple xboxes for close friends and continued to rape them in BF3. I then said “oh wait, let my unplug the computer from my xbox so i dont have an advantage” and laughed my ass off. You see if everyone has the same damn console or plays with the same specs then it becomes more enjoyable for me to kill the enemy team knowing that its not because i have the better system. So to you PC enthusiast who think your little $1500 PC makes you a beast, all i have to say is. Get a life

6. Maverick1776
    October 16th, 2013 at 10:10 pm

@BL
    Just because you can afford to dish out $2,500+ for a PC setup, does not mean everyone else can. The PS4 is an affordable solution for those who want to enjoy BF4 without spending $1,000s.
    900p is not bad at all considering how how demanding the game is.
    Also do not forget, BF4 is a launch title, which are never the best of a console’s new release. Most of the time developers are just rushing to meet the release date of the new console. It’s the games that come later that show what the console is really capable of.

I play on PC most of the time, and have specs much like yours, but superior in some ways. You do not see me trashing consoles. I own a PS3 for exclusive titles.
    Anyone who games on PC, and chooses to buy a console, will tell you the same thing.

You buy an Xbox for Halo, Forza, Gears of War, and other M$ titles.
    A PS for Uncharted, Killzone, Gran Turismo, and other Sony titles.
    A Wii for Mario, Zelda, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, and other Nin titles.

Consoles are preferences. If you want to experiance a game in its full glory, you buy/build a killer PC.
    Same can be said for somebody who likes to watch movies.
    TV vs Projector, Solid State vs Tube Amp, Upconversion vs Native, 3D Passive vs Active. The differences pending on what you choose, can be measured easily in the $1,000s and sometimes $10,000s.

• ViKrieg
      October 17th, 2013 at 1:08 am

I wouldn’t even waste trying to talk reason into such an obvious troll.
      It’s clear in nearly all his posts, that he is just trying to stir up reacations and rustle feathers.
      It’s sad that even I waste my breath on him at times.
      I’m honestly the embodiment of his specs to an almost absolute Tee.
      However, I respect modesty, and I will rarely talk about my set up unless asked about it.
      I love high end PC gaming, but it’s a personal joy that I don’t feel like I have to tell people about every waking moment.
      I love all gaming platforms, for difference experiences.
      Hell, I bought a Wii U and 3DS just because they are a unique contrast to my high end PC.

• GeneralDummkopf
      October 17th, 2013 at 5:29 pm

hah! $2500?? A setup like he *supposedly* has would cost like 5 grand.

7. Johnny Neat
    October 17th, 2013 at 9:08 am

I hope BF4 graphical and performance comparisons for next gen consoles are done before they launch.

8. N-Shifter
    October 17th, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I find it amusing how “some” PC Elitists seem to think that people play on console because they can’t afford to play on PC…..this is simply not the case for everyone. I’ve played on PC for longer than I’ve played on consoles and my reason for now playing consoles is really very simple, it suits my lifestyle better. That’s right, having a PC set up took up quite a bit of space when I had it, nowadays I come home from work sit on the couch and switch on the console which is tucked neatly into the TV stand along with a cable box. I don’t have to worry about “will this game run?”, I know it will.

Cost doesn’t even come into the equation, so think a little bit before you spew out nonsense about poor console players.

• ViKrieg
      October 18th, 2013 at 4:49 am

It’s pathetic really, and I agree whole heartedly.
      “To each their own”, and that’s how it should be, instead of trying to ignore someone’s preference you don’t like, you talk shit about it instead.
      That’s what a lot of people do.
      I’m an open minded gamer, I game primarily on PC, and always will. No matter how exhausted work gets me.
      But I love, and respect what consoles have to offer as well.
      That’s why elitists of any kind are horrible.
      They are on all platforms, and instead of respecting each other, they do what they can to exalt their favorite platform above all else.
      And pay no mind to BL, I feel bad for you if you haven’t caught on by now that he’s a pathetic troll, and really needs to step up his game if he wants to anger people.
      Rehashing something over and over again, is just getting boring.
      I’ve seen much better PC elitist trolls out there.

• mohammad
      October 18th, 2013 at 7:40 am

in my country ( kuwait ) is very cheap for example i can get GTX TITAN for 340 kuwaiti dinar while in usa you buy it for over 1000 dollar , so cheap right ? so let’s say if i want to buy a gaming pc with less graphical card power like gtx 780 or 670 but delivering good gameplay now would be more cheaper but i have alot of good friends on playstation & i enjoy the playing it but pc bitch race logic is : graphics first , gameplay last thing . besides we know that their daddies got a job & bought them a gaming pc & they brag about it so let the adult kids brag as how they want just ignore them .

• ViKrieg
        October 18th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Look, Mohammad, I generally don’t mind your posts.
        But you need to read my post above your current one.
        BL does not represent every PC gamer on earth.
        In fact, elitists are not that common, it’s that old adage:
        “The minority speak louder than the majority”.
        And it’s absolutely true. I game on PC as my primary platform too, but I don’t brag about my specs, or care that much about graphics.
        It’s gameplay that I care over graphical fidelity.
        And I own several consoles, that I play on a daily basis.
        So don’t lump all. PC gamers into one category, because the same can be said, and happen to console gamers as well.
        When you speak, you also represent console players, you need to watch your words carefully, so you don’t come out ignorant sounding.

9. mike
    October 17th, 2013 at 4:43 pm

lol 2560 x 1600

step yo game up

i be runnin that 3840 x 2160 4K 31.5 inch w00000 that sh*t is slick

step up yo game PC peasants

• Boris
      October 18th, 2013 at 4:41 am

lol… Yeah @ 20 fps

• ViKrieg
      October 18th, 2013 at 4:51 am

Too funny, I almost forgot to laugh… Almost.

10. Lycaon
    October 18th, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I’ll be playing first on PS3 720p @ 30fps, then upgrading to PS4 900p @ 60fps, then i might go play Amnesia the dark descent or perhaps SW: the old republic on my p7-1233wb PC. Later, i might endulge in some good ol’ starfox on my SNES or even Combat on my Atari 2600. Maybe on my breaks at work i’ll play Pandemic 2 on my phone. Gaming is great isn’t it!

• ViKrieg
      October 19th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Absolutely! Enjoying Wind Waker HD on my Wii U atm!
      Can’t wait to tear into Pokemon X on my 3DS later as well!

• Snipez
        October 23rd, 2013 at 8:51 pm

You’re an amazing person.

11. Lycaon
    October 19th, 2013 at 12:06 am

^ Didn’t intend to sound sarcastic, just pointing out that gaming is about GAMES regardless of your platform of choice. I could also point out a few argument killing facts about resolution and refresh rate to calm the hate on both sides of the fence, but why bother, they won’t listen anyway. Anyway, i’m going back to my couch to play Final Fantasy:Tactics some more and drink some cold beer.

12. Akid van t Hof
    October 19th, 2013 at 4:04 am

Ahh I will be here with my hydro ultra realistic graphics card and my powerful plasma radiation ram and my touch screen 54k res hd plasma tv and my 4.99 pound pad ahh its good to be alien

• ViKrieg
      October 19th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Ahaha! A genuinely funny comment.
      I laughed.
      Hats off to you Sir!

13. Konviet67
    October 29th, 2013 at 6:42 am

Can’t we all just get along and hate on COD Fanboys?

14. Kip
    November 13th, 2013 at 3:17 am

Has anyone managed to make the jump at the dam, ive tried for hours, if you have please let me know, cheers