PlayStation 4 version of Battlefield 4 is superior to Xbox One

New videos and analysis prove that the PS4 version of BF4 is the best one when it comes to next-gen consoles.

Battlefield 4 is out on PC and current generation systems, and will soon be available on next generation consoles as well. And if you’re still undecided on which console to buy, rest assured that Battlefield 4 runs better on the PS4.

According to reviewers (who already have next-gen versions of Battlefield 4), the game is best experienced on the PS4, both when it comes to visual quality, resolution, and framerate. Battlefield 4 runs at a higher resolution on the PlayStation 4, at 900p, compared to just 720p on the Xbox One.

Furthermore, the PS4 version features a higher overall framerate as well. Eurogamer ran a comprehensive test of Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox One, and as expected, the PS4 version came out on top. They even released a video comparing the two versions, and while you have to look closely for any difference, it’s there.

This isn’t a big surprise — the PS4 graphics processor is 50% faster than the one in the Xbox One. We’d be genuinely surprised if DICE didn’t take advantage of that.

Are you getting Battlefield 4 on next-gen platforms? If so, let us know which one and why in the comments section!

1. Hodgez
    October 30th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Already have it in pc and I’m loving it. But also have a ps4 and BF4 reserved. My friends play on console so that’s why I have both. And I’m looking forward to seeing the improvements consoles have made.
    But I do love my mouse and keyboard.

2. Chance
    October 30th, 2013 at 10:31 am

I’m most likely getting the Ps4, but to me, it looks as if the XB1 has a clearer picture than the Ps4. The Ps4 almost looks cloudy.

3. Ham
    October 30th, 2013 at 10:36 am

When I played the game on both consoles (Xbox one PS4)last month in japan they were both amazing and had 64 players. I didn’t notice any difference in the gameplay or graphics. Both of them ran smoothly with bf4 and I didn’t see any lag. But I did notice ps4 freezing couple of times but I bet they will fix that when the ps4 launches. Who cares if the ps4 has a little bit of better graphics you can barely notice it unless you just sit there for hours and hours and just look for differences in the game

4. Chode
    October 30th, 2013 at 11:05 am

If the PS4 dominates, then explain:
    There are a ton more examples out there if you spend 5 seconds looking.

• yams in a can
      October 30th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Oh look, you can see that the xbox one has a higher contrast. Microsoft has been using that cheap trick since this console generation, both the 360 and One have higher default contrast.

• BS
      November 16th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

ha that clip is a load of bs. Ive played that mision on ps4, and the skyscraper with the large screen on it is just as clear as the xbone’s honestly this kinda crap is ridiculous given how similar the two perform, no one will notice a difference when actually playing. I prefer ps4 since i dont need microsoft and NSA spying on me every day and night.

5. Disillusioned with Consoles
    October 30th, 2013 at 11:34 am

I first started playing First-Person shooters since the very first FPS game ever came out – Wolfenstein 3D (1993)

I switched over to both consoles, starting in January of 2010.

As a result of experiencing the atrocious amounts of lag, glitches, poor frame rate and the mediocre amounts of visual, game setting and control customizability available to XBOX and PS3, I have decided to switch tracks…..

I will never, EVER buy a console again.

I will return to my old stomping grounds and play on a high-end Computer.
    The DISGRACE that is the Graphics environment of BF4 on PS3 was
    ‘the straw that broke the camels’ back’.

Guys, take it from somebody that is experienced:

**You have to pay, in order to play.**

• N-Shifter
      October 30th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Orrrrr you could take it from someone who played on PC and switched to consoles and is perfectly happy with that choice and even more so now that I’ll be able to get the same experience on next gen consoles.

• whatever
        October 30th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Shut up, filthy console peasant, and go back to CasualField 4. It’s because of people like you that games are so dumbed down nowadays.

• N-Shifter
          October 30th, 2013 at 7:13 pm

“go back to CasualField 4” Exactly how am I supposed to go back to something that I don’t? It’s because of people like you that the world is being so dumbed down nowadays.

• Ethan Morris
          November 1st, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Most of us play consoles because we have a life besides sitting in front of a computer screen. And why does casual matter? That’s what video games are for is CASUAL ENTERTAINMENT
          (By the way, I’m typing this on my PS3)

6. Hulk4D
    October 30th, 2013 at 11:49 am

Based on what I’m watching here, what this article probably should have said is that “though scientific research tells us the game plays/looks better on the left, most people are going to find they prefer the picture on the right.” Something like that.

The deeper blacks seem to drown out minute stuff (like the guages on the dashboard of the moving car) I’d take the more cinematic-looking, less white-ish right side.

• Hulk4D
      October 30th, 2013 at 11:53 am

*but* i’d take the more…. right side.

Sorry.

7. Dave
    October 30th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Battlefield 4 on PS4 = Native 1080p
    Battlefield 4 on XO = Native 720p (Upscaled to 1080p)

Same ting for COD: Ghosts.

• triggerhapypric
      October 30th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

You are right about cod ghost but you are DEAD wrong about bf4. It runs at 900p on ps4 not 1080p. If bf4 ran at NATIVE 1080p and 60fps on both consoles they would burst into flames. Learn the facts and get your uneducated ass out of here.

• N-Shifter
      October 30th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

BF4 on PS4 is 900p native, not 1080p native.

8. third party
    October 30th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

the X1 is a little darker to hide the jagged edges more, its clear the ps4 has the up on it. the ps4 isnt brighter, its showing how its supposed to look. if you watch the video there are times you cant even see what gun your holding on the X1 and its daytime lol.

and the guy who put the gif showing dawnbreaker ps4/x1, the gif on the left is clearly ps3 or xbox 360. the draw distance on detail is not very far on current gen. the one the right is most likely pc

9. Fidius
    October 30th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

To be honest i think the xbox has a deeper richer texture than the ps4 looking at that vid…….ive got an xbox but also a gaming pc …..needless to say ive ordered the pc version the xbox is used for driving games and other stuff

10. Johnny Neat
    October 30th, 2013 at 3:44 pm

First off, while the PS4 version will, as of now, has higher resolution it doesn’t mean that everything else will remain when the retail version drops. Dice already confirmed via Twitter (https://t.co/hjoPeMHpLP) that a day one patch will address a lot of the differences between the two next gen console versions of BF4, like ambient occlusion. Respectable sites have acknowledge this by not reviewing the XB1 version of Battlefield 4 till November 12th. Too people need to get off the hyperbole fanboy war. Both next gen versions of BF4 are going to kick ass.

October 30th, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Try playing it at 2560 x 1600p all ultra settings 90 fps. Next gen is only on the PC, guys. There is no substitute.

• Dutchy
      October 31st, 2013 at 2:58 am

I agree with this, next gen is on the PC not on any console

12. Dutchy
    October 31st, 2013 at 3:04 am

I am no console fan boy so I’m trying to be objective.
    The PS4 looks way better you can actually see the details.
    The Xbox One has deeper colors if fact the so deep black you almost can’t see any thing.

13. TheHippotail
    October 31st, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I really wish consoles would have keyboard/mouse options instead of just the controllers. The majority of my friends play on PS3 (and soon PS4), but I’m a PC gamer at heart. The only games I’ve ever played on my PS3 have been single player titles (so I don’t get my ass kicked) with the exception of BF3 for some time while I was saving up for a new PC when my cat spilled water all over the old one multiple times. I’m really on the fence about which one to buy BF4 for.

14. Ruan
    November 2nd, 2013 at 1:16 pm

X-Box is only using a higher contrast than ps4 in the video PS4 is better

15. ed
    November 6th, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I am on the fense of witch system to get. What do you guys think i should get. I just want a better online experience and i feel that less lagg and shit like that will be better on the xbox . Am i right ? I also feel that xbox is more of an upgrade than the ps4 just a more powerful ps3.

• Mega Man 10.2
      November 23rd, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’ve been playin PS3 for years and PS4 has unfortunately quite a lot more graphical power over XB1 but…
      … BUT …
      I got an Xbox 1 this time round because I felt that a high quality multiplayer community and gaming experience was more important for this upcoming decade. I’ll miss u ps4 games :'( *sniff*
      … oh and that playstation move technology is a joke, yeah, and whats with that awful dualshock 4 controller light reflecting off the tv screen???

16. Someone
    November 24th, 2013 at 2:37 am

The problem with these comparisons is that they need to be done blind. There’s always a bias toward Microsoft or Sony and regardless of which actually does look best, fanboyism always wins. Would be interesting to have seen this test done blind to see if people could tell which was which.

17. Thegreatman
    November 25th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I want all of you to know that this is digital foundry and they use their own hardware than the actual consoles so the console will not look like this. I was invited to an event that was controlled by digital foundry and at the xbox events i saw that they had high end pc in the bottom cabnet . I’m not sure about ps4 because their cabnet was closed. I went to both the PS4 and XBOX one events.