Battlefield 4 current-gen vs. next-gen comparison video

New video shows side by side comparison of the current vs next-gen version of BF4.

We’ve already seen how great Battlefield 4 looks on the PlayStation 4, and now the guys over at IGN posted a neat comparison video of the game running on current generation vs. next generation consoles. The video shows Battlefield on the PS3 vs PS4, and on the Xbox 360 vs. Xbox One.

While the next-gen versions of Battlefield 4 obviously look much better, we’re quite surprised at how good they look on current generation hardware, considering that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 consoles are 7+ years old, and have the power of a decent smartphone today.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One versions run the game at 60 fps, while the PS4 features slightly higher resolution — 900p vs 720p on the Xbox One. Recently, Microsoft used PC footage for an Xbox One promo of the game, which wasn’t the first time it happened.

Check out the video above and let us know what you think. Judging by the visual quality alone, it might be worth it to upgrade to the next gen version of Battlefield 4. Especially considering that multiplayer will support 64 players, compared to just 24 on current generation consoles.

1. Johnny Neat
    November 2nd, 2013 at 2:28 pm

From other comparison videos, it looks like the XboxOne and PS4 portions have been switched. XboxOne was shown everywhere to have high contrast than the PS4 version.

November 2nd, 2013 at 2:37 pm

720p and 900p is not next gen, sorry console noobs…PC owns both all day.

• strazer
      November 2nd, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Ps4 is 900p stretched, xbox one is 1080p like on computers dumbass. I know computers can get 1440p also but you would have to have a pretty high end computer to run that resolution. Plus the next gen graphics are the same as high graphics on PC. So dont try and sound like you know all there is to know about battlefield and do some research.

• N-Shifter
        November 3rd, 2013 at 2:07 pm

The XBone is NOT 1080p ffs, this news is everywhere and somehow you managed to get this wrong.

The PS4 is 900p, upped to 1080p, the XBone is 720p, upped to 1080p – they are BOTH upscaled, the Xbone has to be upscaled more than the PS4 though.

• TonyTurango
        November 3rd, 2013 at 2:11 pm

XboxOne 1080p?? Really?? Did you’ve been absent this last days??? Little outdated box only gets up to 720p… please, let grown ups talk…

• BL
      November 3rd, 2013 at 8:37 am

Try again, adult here work for a living and build my own. Upgrade every year and still the so called next gen consoles aren’t no matter what you think. Period. I just spend what it takes to keep my PC above all others. What will your lame already outdated so called next gen console be worth next year?? Useless!

• Timmy
      November 3rd, 2013 at 10:00 am

I agree, this kid posts on almost every BF4 topic about how BA his setup is.

• mind grenada
      November 4th, 2013 at 2:48 am

I spent 1100 on my PC four years ago. I’ve since added 4gb of ram and upgraded my card (beyond next gen console spec) for a total cost of 1500 (inc the first 1100) over 4 years.

Aside from the total of 450 spent on GPUs (including the first I had in there), the rest of the computer is also just my regular computer and works flawlessly even after 4 years. My PS3 has been replaced once and is on the Fritz.

I also work in electronics retail and I know what the average user spends on their everyday PC… If you shop smart like I did you end up spending roughly the same on a GPU as a console you end up with a much more efficient machine. Considering its used for everyday stuff too, I don’t consider the rest of it much of a “gaming cost”…

I play PC because the console controller makes me feel like I’m wearing oven mitts when aiming and also the 2560×1440 res is nice to look at.

• marorun
      November 15th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hello sir,

I must inform you thats on my Asus G73 JH who is nearly 3 years old i can play battlefield at 900p with almost everything on ultra (where PS4 and XBox one run it at high)

I also spent 1500$ on my laptop 3 years ago!
      So i am sorry but a 1000$ pc or even less can run the game easily at high in 900/1080p with no lag.

Now i dont say the new console are bad for 400$ i think i will myself get one as its always fun to have games to play on my tv using a controller.

Just wanted to add my 2 cent.

3. HMMLFCKR
    November 2nd, 2013 at 2:46 pm

both looks crap, PC is boss at all time.

4. johnny law
    November 2nd, 2013 at 3:01 pm

ps4 looks better, x1 looks to bright. almost unrealistic. smoke looks better on ps4 to when he blew the wall down. ps4 might have an edge on draw distance to but both look really good tho, big steps from the current gen. which i have and can also say looks pretty good also

5. ☻
    November 2nd, 2013 at 5:43 pm

lol next gen, no 1080p and 60 fps. sony and microsoft should be ashamed…

6. Noob killer
    November 2nd, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Oh no pc has better graphics and junk what will we do!!!

Get real people a games a game ur all almost rasist its sad that all over the world there r wars and deaths and poverty and u guys r arguing about what gaming console ect is better

7. Maverick1776
    November 3rd, 2013 at 3:47 am

PS4 FTW
    BTW this is not the only game where PS4 outdid Xbone.
    Google COD Ghosts for PS4 vs Xbone. The resolution is 720p, while PS4 has 1080p.
    If you can justify buying on Xbone over a PS4, other than it’s got Halo, please do tell…

BTW, I play BF4 on PC, no fanboism crap here.

8. Grave
    November 3rd, 2013 at 3:40 pm

This just goes to prove this isn’t a next gen title. it’s one of those transitional gen titles that barely looks better than their old-gen counterparts. at least they run at 60fps, so that’s something.

9. Wetdogsmell
    November 3rd, 2013 at 4:04 pm

COD players invading BF WTf is going on I thought adults played this game not immature moany arse little bitches who rant on about worthless sh@t!

Who gives a rats arse what res or FPS either platform has, where all playing the same game how about a little comradery huh?

Big YouTube BF bloggers like jack fragz and level cap have said they are getting next gen consoles even though they are hard core PC players

So my point is instead of waging a POINTLESS war on who’s better platform lets see just how good or bad you are in the actual game where slightly nicer looking walks and grass will NOT making a slight bit of difference

Great team play is key in this game not how fast your processor is or how much I’ve spent on graphics cards that cost as much as a nice car, get off your horse

I play on a Xbox my user name is tezamistic come try beat me and then blame the “poor resolution” for your 0-14 kd ratio

• marorun
      November 15th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Relaxe dude.

The point here is in 2 years your xbone game will look the same as now and on he PS4 thats got twice the muscle its will look much better.

We only see lil difference now but on the long run you see!

10. HoldOn2YaButts
    November 4th, 2013 at 11:48 am

I think the Xbox One version looks better than PS4. Not a fanboy statement. Just a preference statement. I think the PS4 looks a little on the murky side. I happen to enjoy a more vibrant/brighter look.

• Si1entbd
      November 7th, 2013 at 10:10 am

Well, I agree. I think they both look great, the PS4 has more shadows but seems a lot more darker and dull and would be so much better with higher contrast.

11. Legitninja
    November 4th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

The reason the X1’s lighting isn’t too impactful it’s becuase in the builds that were shown the Xbox One didn’t have any ambient Occlusion. DICE has said that the released copy will have it though.

• marorun
      November 15th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

wich will make it look more like the PS4 lol but with lower res and worst alliasing and distace viewing.

12. Mick7028
    November 27th, 2013 at 11:12 am

Then we found out that the footage that Xbox one had for battlefield 4 was oc footage… Nice try Microsoft!

13. Wade
    December 30th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

In all actuality, I prefer it on Xbox 360. The flat, all out terrible graphics, which I am used to, suit me. When a game has more shading and higher quality graphics, it makes it difficult to see certain objects. Which is why, even though I can run BF4 on ultra with no problem, I play it on minimum. Knowhamsayin

14. Shami
    December 10th, 2015 at 2:19 am

“Frame-rate differences aside, the current-gen campaign holds us fairly well compared to next-gen editions, but wide-open areas and multiplayer really suffer.”