New video suggests the BF4 “netcode” issue could be client-side

A new video shows proof that the netcode issue could be on the client side as well as on the server side.

We’ve heard plenty of things about the Battlefield 4 netcode — mostly just how bad it is. The recent PC patch seems to have made some improvements to the netcode, but players are still reporting about various issues, such as lag, hitbox registration, and more. You can see a bunch of videos on the bad Battlefield 4 netcode here.

A new video might shed some light on the netcode issue, though. Done by YouTuber PixelTwitch, the video shows that some of the “netcode” problems might actually be on the client-side of things.

He booted up the Battlefield 4 test range, and did some experiments firing at the moving targets. The video clearly shows that there is some issue with the way hits are registered on the hitbox. This could mean that some of the netcode problems could be on the client-side, because, as far as we know, the BF4 test range is run locally.

When he fired directly at the moving target, he would miss, but if he fired shortly after the target, it would register as s hit. He tested the above video with “network smoothing” setting set at 0 and 100, and the results are the same.

DICE has previously said that the Battlefield 4 netcode is “top priority”, and the recent BF4 PC patch included some fixes for it.

This has been happening in the series for a while in the Battlefield series, where players would shoot at a moving target without any of the hits registering. But when they shot slightly behind a horizontally moving target, the hits would register. Take a look at the video below to see how this happens in BF4:

TAGS:

November 19th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

This has been known since day one, and still exists now. At least once every round I play I get shot behind cover and or hit the other guy in hardcore mode at least 5 times and he stays alive I don’t.

2. Fenway
    November 19th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Obviously the guy just needs to calibrate his sights.

3. Headtarget
    November 19th, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I don’t think that the net code is entirely to blame in this video. If u look while he is firing, he is also strafing to the left and right. This can cause bullet deviation so the bullets don’t exactly land where the red dot is directly aimed at which makes the grouping of the bullets not as precise and tight. If he were to just stand completely still and take these shots, it would definately been on the net code. If u want proof of bullet deviation, watch xfactorgaming’s control freak videos on YouTube.

• Dr-S4tan
      November 22nd, 2013 at 12:46 am

Can’t you see that the bullets land on target and there is no target dropping down? What does it have to do with strafing? If a bullet hits the target and its visible it does why the engine does not register. This is the subject of the video. Not the spread that has nothing to do with bad hit detection. Perception level -10…

• PeopleStupidityIsInfinite
        November 25th, 2013 at 3:40 am

Nice one!!! Plus if you compare strafe spped and bullet speed, u can just ignore strafe speed. Also he should be shooting in front of the target to hit it since there is a bullet travel time but it doesn’t work and even more he is only managing to register shots on behind lol strange 😀

• Viking2121
      December 5th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

No no no, Do you have any idea how fast a bullet travels? It travels faster then the speed of sound, whish is why you hear a crack sound you getting shot at. Proof of bullet deviation would only apply if the target is a good distance away, up close it should damn near be dead on target if the sights are on target.

But then this brings another problem though, since there is a noticeable delay in hit reg (death behind cover) I can get 7 – 8 kills where the enemy kills me and I kill him at the same time, sorry but a bullet traveling as fast as sound should not be able to do that up close that is, It all about reflex (who presses the trigger 1st). Its common scene. Far away (mile or more is where I can see it happening on the lower caliber weapons. Fact is, its a problem, more like latency compensation from high ping.

And a shotgun shooting with accuracy across the map is a no go as well, its not a sniper, but yet its been in the BF series since BFBC2. I can see it shooting 60 – 80 feet maybe a bit more, with slugs and be vary accurate. But that wont be fixed, you will get the people crying about it tho.

4. SuomiTaistelija
    November 20th, 2013 at 6:51 am

It would be nice to test this kind of stuff my self, but DICE should release some update first to make that test range even to work.
    at least i have not been able to even try that test range or siege of shanghai or dawnbreaker or paracel storm and of course campaing is not working.
    last patch that came out did not do anything about it.
    all the other maps in multiplayer works just fine, also beta worked out with no problems at all.
    all drivers and win 7 64-bit are up-to-date and everthing else in my computer works just fantastic, why not BF4?

5. justarandomcommentor
    November 20th, 2013 at 6:52 am

This may not be true for everyone else, but for me on the ps4 I’ve noticed zero netcode issues. It has the best of any game I played. Going from ps3 to ps4 on battlefield made a big difference to me. That said, it is only from my perspective, I just haven’t heard of any ps4 issues other than the random kicks/the conquest issue

6. kung
    November 20th, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Lead your shots nubs. I noticed this issue on day one and it doesn’t even affect me anymore. adapt or die.

• u idiot
      November 20th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

i do, probably more accurate than u.

• Dr-S4tan
      November 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 am

Did you actually watch the video? HE IS LEADING. The engine does not register hits. That’s the point of the whole video!?! What is happening to people brains, is this some kind of virus?

• jayjay
      November 23rd, 2013 at 3:37 am

lead his shots, he is slightly and hes like 10ft away how slow do you think bullets are in this game? , the first week I got bf4 I was killing and dying how it was supposed to be but this past 2 weeks for me has been an absolute joke iv been switching to all different guns thinking it was me or my internet but after seeing all these netcode videos its all become clear now why I can pump 15rds into someone before they even return fire and then they look at me and I die instantly, this is BS!

• Kossy077
      November 23rd, 2013 at 8:58 am

What! so it’s ok to have to lead your shots in the opposite!! direction to where the targets moving? Do people even watch the vids before commenting?

• Juju
      November 30th, 2013 at 1:45 am

Ahh hahaha… owned big time lol… “Lead your target you nubs”! lol it’s noobs not nubs! you kinky

7. Me