DICE acknowledges Battlefield 4 issues, is listening to feedback

DICE opens up for the first time about the various issues plaguing the game.

Battlefield 4 issues
DICE has finally decided to join the discussion (somewhat) when it comes to the number of Battlefield 4 issues players have been facing. DICE Creative Director Lars Gustavsson popped into the official forums on Battlelog to let everyone know that DICE are working on these issues, and acknowledged that “things have been rocky so far”.

Gustavsson said that DICE is listening and reading to all feedback posted on the forums and the web, but they simply don’t have enough time to answer everyone. He urged players to give detailed and constructive feedback on the forums, which will let them “pinpoint the issues and eliminate them more quickly”.

He added that DICE has released seven Battlefield 4 server updates since launch, and that they are working on a client update at the moment (you can read some of the patch notes here). He said that from now on, DICE will make “a concentrated effort” to appear more on the forums and answer players.

Finally, Gustavsson announced that the best fan post on the forums each week will get a gold Battlepack, whom they feel gave the best, original feedback. Just yesterday, we heard another developer from DICE saying that the Battlefield 4 netcode is “top priority”, and that they’re working on it.

It’s one thing for a game to be plagued by issues at launch — it’s not the first time this is happening. But it’s another thing for the developer to remain silent about it. We’re glad that DICE is reaching out to all the Battlefield 4 players out there, letting us know what the situation is. Hopefully it won’t take too long before we see a patch.

You can read his full forum post here.

1. SgtDeathAdder
    November 8th, 2013 at 11:58 am

I hope they fix this netcode very soon, and make of BF4 one of the best shooters out there

• BFNERD
      November 8th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Don’t hold your breath. Your family loves you!

• cod ghosts worshipper
      November 8th, 2013 at 6:03 pm

and get rid of the levolution crap, that ruins all maps….siege is unplayable

• Plakman
        November 9th, 2013 at 5:39 am

Siege is one of the most enjoyable together with paracel…
        It’s far from unplayable tbh

• Bendoja
      November 13th, 2013 at 2:08 am

Hooah!

• JOE STINSON
      March 27th, 2014 at 11:27 am

WAITED THROUGH AN UPDATE TODAY AND NOW THE GAME WONT LOAD AT ALL….VERY FRUSTRATING! COD WORKS FINE

2. cicle11
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

You shouldn’t have been so bad to dice/ea last week, just have patience they know the problems but they have to look at the situation and create a work plan and than say what is going on otherwise they will publish information they are not sure about. Just have patience they will fix it we are there customers so they will do what the majority wants and that is making a fun game that runs well.

• BFNERD
      November 8th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Patient??!!! EA/DICE has had 3 years to get this right and they still produce garbage code. They have people they call “developers” working for them who couldn’t figure out what 2+2 equals!

Patient?!!! They have our money! They should have had it ready for prime-time way before now! They should be posting in their “Battlefail” 2 times a day on the so-called “progress” they are making.

It’s 2013! By now these money-grubbing a-holes should be able to release a product that doesn’t resemble a half-baked POS!

You go right on ahead and be an apologist for EA/DICE. Meanwhile they don’t give a rats a$$ about anything except the money!

• Rickey
        November 19th, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Have you ever worked in a corporate office when you have a deadline? No matter what if u dont own the rights and the Boss says its good enough push it out. its going to happen or else you wont be employed. im pissed that the game has way too many bugs too but its not Dices fault they were ordered to release it early. I know someone who works for EA as a project manager and this is common practice. Fat Cats who get paid 6-7 figures who have no idea what a good game is make people rush things or change them at the last minute. they only care about trying to beat the competion(activision).

• Juan R.
        December 4th, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I agree with the Battlefield Nerd. After having 3 years to make this game, this pathetic. Almost makes me feel like they started making the game early this year. Disappointed Dice, Disappointed…

• whatever
      November 8th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

The devs need to face the truth; they’re selling a broken, unfinished product. Every complaint they receive – constructive or not – is well-deserved. Naturally, EA is also to blame, maybe even more than the devs themselves. However, this does not excuse them for leaving several engine-related bugs in BF4, something they really could have ironed out while trying to make BF3 better.

Get your head out of your ass. If I had a nickel for every time DICE claimed to be ‘listening to our feedback’…well, I’d be a couple dollars richer. Problem is, no matter how much they insist they’re listening, very few complaints from the community are actually fixed, if ever.

Unless they deliver something REALLY good – and by that I mean relative stability and much, MUCH better netcode – take everything they said with a grain of salt.

3. Paul
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Now that was a nice gesture wasn’t it?!

What a terrific business case. Release an unfinished product, still pocket cash for a finished and fully functioning product – basically ALL people who have bought BF4 on release day are pre-order-customers (only difference is that they pay a higher price IN ADVANCE) as they in reality are paying for the product before it is delivered.

So DICE gets the cash upfront but that is by far not the complete story. The sweetest part of the business case is that DICE, basically, do not need to test the product fully in-house, hence they do not need to employ (and pay for) big qualified test teams. They release the unfinished and untested (in full) product and let the (paying) tens of millions “customers” perform the testing for them. Does wonders to the bottom line I figure. Now mr Lars Gustavsson is also publicly telling the “testers” the expected format of their “feedback”…disgraceful.

Well, I am proud to admit – I did learn a lesson back in the BF3 days NOT to pay DICE upfront. I refuse to be employed by DICE against my will. Above all, I refuse to pay for being employed by DICE. Mr Lars Gustavsson, you go and test that peace of junk yourself, I have better things to do with my life and money.

• Hey
      November 8th, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Why don’t you pay attention? This isn’t really DICE’s fault.

This is EA’s fault for pushing DICE to skip quality control. All you have to do is pay attention and read a few articles to find out who to blame.

This is the problem with whiners, most of the time you’re whining at the wrong people.

• Steve
        November 11th, 2013 at 4:46 am

Um, it’s not DICE’s fault? are you retarded? EA maybe have pushed them, but they should have said NO! but then Hey, you’d jump off a bridge it told too right?

• BFNERD
      November 8th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I completely agree with you Paul! Very well said!

4. Duhmentia
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

This is great that they are announcing that they are working very hard to fix the issues that have made the game a little more unenjoyable to play. Once they get some of these problems fixed there is not doubt in my mind that this will be my favorite fps.

5. 5dollarFNF
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

The netcode fix will be the biggest thing. Cannot wait for that to come.

6. TW1NKY328
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I’ve had the same problem several times now with BF4, this is the 1st time i’ve bought a BF game cause the trailers look so sick. Not only did it freeze on me after having to re-restart 5 campaigns, but I had the DISC READER ERROR come up as an issue. Making my Star Wars issue 360 fail for the first time as well, it’s never had a problem with long gameplay, overheating or disc tray issues. I even tried switching games to see if that the BF game itself was the issue but it gave me the same OPEN DISC TRAY message for other games and movies i put in. So being that I was just out of my warranty date, i cracked it open and reset my laser thinking it was off set. But i was totally surprised to see everything iooked good and in place, and the laser in it’s home docking station. So i put it back together and powered it back on low and behold it ran fine. I’ve been dumb found over this issue since release day. In being a first time BF player i’m upset to see how many people are dealing with the Autosave not working when trying to return back to campaign and the continious freezing… since after the 5th game restart on the third day of launch i have not gone back to playing BF4, instead been playing Payday2 which is a mid grade end FPS, but at this point better then BF4.

Common Dice/EA Get it together!!!

7. Ryan
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

What about squad support with friends before you get into a server on the 360? Am I the only one missing this? It’s a pain when you’re in a party with 3 other friends but you can’t all get into a game together at the same time.

• TW1NKY328
      November 8th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

yeah I’ve noticed this as well ryan. you can’t host a party and send friend invites or be in a lobby and see everyone but you can join a random game and hopefully your friends can join your game. Going through via your friends list or send a game invite when you’re in a party. it only works if the game’s not filled with players already.

8. Cam pat
    November 8th, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Keeps freezing when it joins a game

9. Jason
    November 8th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I know BF4 has been off to a rough start but, I was watching COD Ghosts gameplay online and it looks like a child’s game. BF4 is a digital work of art.

• BFNERD
      November 8th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Work of art alright. Kinda like a painting by Monet. From a distance it looks amazing. But once you get up close it looks like a mess!

10. Hobboiliko
    November 8th, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Alot of glitches bugs, heard there was so much problems on PC version. Play it on consoles instead……? ‘,’

11. CrossCheck
    November 9th, 2013 at 2:08 am

You guys should know that if it were DICE’s choice this game wouldn’t be out now. I place all the blame on EA because they wanted this game released before CoD:Ghosts. We had the same probs with BF3 which are nonexistant now and have been for a while. Anyways i will take a buggy BF3 over any CoD game.

• CrossCheck
      November 9th, 2013 at 2:09 am

BF4*

12. Maverick1776
    November 9th, 2013 at 3:53 am

When will you people learn, that it’s not Dice’s fault.
    EA forced an early launch of BF4 to compete with COD.
    It’s EA who is a POS of a company.
    Atleast Dice is actively doing something about it.
    If they wanted to, they could have just ignored all of the feedback, and eventually release one big patch on its own terms.
    I don’t know about you guys, but I see a Dice making progress.

13. stroppy
    November 9th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

So far BF4 is just frustrating. I really don’t care who is at fault – but I reckon its DICE. They would have had plenty to time to deliver a quality product – and if they didn’t think they had plenty of time they shouldn’t have agreed to the arrangement with EA. Having said that it makes not one spec of difference – again the purchaser is the guinea pig (and they know we will gobble up any old rubbish they deliver). If only we could hit them where it hurt (the pocket) but we are all too addicted to do that!

• Dan
      November 12th, 2013 at 7:12 am

All you must do in this case is refuse to purchase map packs and or premium access until they fix the issues. I love the game but it is definitely failing to satisfy as I have to restart my xbox every third multiplayer game.

• Rickey
      November 19th, 2013 at 7:24 pm

dont forget that dice is payed to work on other games besides bf4 since bf3 was released. EA made the rush end of story

14. Me
    November 10th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I understand they need to get it out and compete with other awesome games at the same time to stay relevant (AC4,COD ghosts, and GTA 5 to name a few). Most of these people are right. They are paid to do this, iron it out and have a smooth game come launch day and forward with all of the money they have received this far. Small problems still exist. The online game, crashes frequently, forcing a hard reset of the console. Also, what happened to created a squad, and being able to join or start a game with your party/squad? Also, sometimes the sound is very sketchy.. These are my main concerns. Other then that, the same is quite good and fun to play… Just need these little kinks worked out for now.

15. soraritter777
    November 11th, 2013 at 10:38 am

Well every thing is true that’s said yes they have are money and I’m pissed but talking shits not going to help and this is coming from someone who is wanting to pesue a game designing career and I fell what every body saying so help them help us go with what they want so we need to come up with all the prob and let them know of course other going to be a smart ass who says the whole game ooo clever not really let take the oppertunity to get this done I’m tired of my game locking or crashing or losing conection so who with me

16. Numb
    November 11th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

You guys do realize that it is EA’s fault ? They forced Dice to release the game in a hurry to be able to compete with “Cod Ghosts” (which is garbage m but they didnt know that at that stage). So don’t be mad at Dice , be mad at the publisher that is forcing an unfinished product to be released in a hurry just to make early money!

Bf4 in general is awesome , apart from that major flaw that is is unplayable right now (yea you can try to play and try to tell yourself that it is not that bad.) The reality is different , the netcode is utter crap and the weapons feel like ass compared to BF3 .

The big companies do stuff like that because their customers let them get away with it , so they abuse it.

We don’t want excuses, we want the promised product for our money that we paid. EA slowly becomes like Activision screwing their own products. If this trend will go on (unfinished products, bad console ports, mouse acceleration issues and no option to adjust the fov and so on and forth) i will only buy from companies that deliver what they have promised , making games for PC gamers(Tripwire Interactive , Bohemia Interactive and so on).

Get your shit together,

Imagine if i would sell someone a car without the seats in it , telling him to relax and that he just needs to wait 3 weeks before i will deliver the seats.

17. Chris Pritchett
    November 11th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I really wish I could turn off the battlelog/select button. Also, having the mark target button on R1 makes me take my finger off the trigger to mark a target (not good). Changing the enter/exit button from B to X was dumb. Either way the biggest problem I see also is that you can’t knife while in the air. No more jumping through a window while breaking it in the air*** Come on… One more thing, You can’t jump sideways over even a door threshold or small rock. This causes you to get hung up and is really annoying. Pressing right while against a small object and hitting jump should jump you over that object, but nope you have to be facing it… Also is this game even HD? It looks bad next to BF3. I guess I will go back to playing BF3 until you fix these major issues… I would hope it would have been smooth out of the box, but its not. Also, If I set the game save to cloud, it freezes up my system every time. Being as I have done every update and am using a brand new Xbox from Best Buy, I wouldn’t have thought this would have happened…

18. Darren
    November 12th, 2013 at 5:15 am

Well All I can say is please get these bugs fixed. I have played BF4 online for about 15 times of which at least ten times it has crashed during gameplay on Conquest. It also crashes and freezes when loading the map/ I hope these issues get fixed as I am frustrated earning lots of ribbons and other goodies and the XBOX just freezing and having to do a hard reboot. Please fix these issues. Lasermadness

19. ML
    November 12th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I hardly have any issues with the game. I can notice it is not as fluent/polished as bf3 yet and had some crashes and connectionproblems, but patches serverside helped a lot already. After unparking my cpu’s on an i7, i have had no more ctd’s.

I hope they can start to tweak balance and such soon, so the sooner they clean up their own mess, the better. Jet handling, 3rd person camera, damage and room to fly are just awful atm. Might aswell not put in jets this way.

All in all I like the game but some bugs and glitches are just too obvious. Someone must have known they would create their own shitstorm this way

20. Doibs PR
    November 12th, 2013 at 4:20 pm

We didnt pay retail for this new BF4 release to become a beta tester! From my understanding, beta testers don’t “pay” to test the product! C’MON MAN!!!! You took the chance to release first and you lost, time to pay up EA! COD is flawless. You loose!

21. Murphy
    November 13th, 2013 at 4:47 am

The one thing I get for my Birthday today, and it’s unplayable. awesome.

22. Devildog
    November 17th, 2013 at 9:27 am

I’d like to know how to get my money!!! You can’t even play this stupid game without it freezing up!!!!!!!!

23. myles
    November 17th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Hi, i went to play my campaign on Battlefield 4 and there was a glitch or something. It reset my whole progress back to the first level and needless to say, i was (and still am) very pissed about it. If someone could please tell me a solution, other than any smartass comments, to help me out.

sincearly, frustrated in florence

24. Twin
    November 19th, 2013 at 4:10 am

Battlefield4 needs to be fix why can I host a party so me and my friends can join rooms together instead of one of us getting into a room and then trying to get into a room that is full please fix this

25. Hybrid9mm
    November 20th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Want my money back!!
    Bf2(PC) broken on release!! Took ea years to try and fix it, and a mod team did a better job in the end bf2 AIX2.0 was epic fun and how the game should have been. Would still play if my rig didn’t die from over priced hardware!

Bf3 broken on release!! New game engine so some slack there (tiny bit)
    Bf4 broken on release!! Shocking to be honest, shocking!

This isn’t good enough at all! We all expect more for our money.
    I feel so let down not by dice but EA as they cannot get anything right in the FPS world,,,,, EA you remember C&C renegade?

And then there’s this control issue/debate, thumb sticks are crap fact! or you would not add aim assist would you, on PC that’s an aim bot and will get you an IP ban in all cases. FPS works best on k&m fact! Because FPS was on pc 1st after all(yeah I’m old, zx spectrum ftw lol)
    any how I’ve given up with this mess (want my money back), and will be saving for a steam box or similar

26. dan
    November 20th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

How about changing the orange dot. In bf3 the red dot was bad enough into the sun light…I have a harder time in bf4 orange dot. Why not make this customizable…cant be that hard!

27. That person
    November 22nd, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I can’t get to play multiplayer because it says I don’t have permission or that I’m too young (I’m 37)

• JACE66
      November 25th, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Yeah go the dame problem tonight – it says I’m too young or don’t have the correct permissions to access online features. I’m 47 and it’s my account, plus I’ve been playing it for 3 days – There’s no where to help on this either I can see. Been through all the pages on Xbox One console, i’m signed in as me without any restrictions anywhere. Glitch or something else?

• John Smith
        November 30th, 2013 at 8:33 pm

The problem is obviously the Xbox one lol !

• jon
          March 18th, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Actually it keeps happening to me on ps4, nothing to do with parental settings on the ps4 i just have to close the application and open it again most times

28. joshua
    November 23rd, 2013 at 7:45 am

So when do they plan this shit? not being able to create a squad before joining a game is aggravating. it makes me wanna punch a puppy in the face

29. Brandon
    December 2nd, 2013 at 5:03 pm

This is my first day playing and I experienced my first crash of the game and also the inability to connect with my friends due to no commander slots. I will say this, there is an issue with the information of the game that is deferred on the joiner server screen. My friend sees multiple slots available for me and other players, but when I go to the server browser it offers no available slots for his server. Says the server is full when clearly it is not. I hope the bugs are worked out soon while I still have patience for now BF3 it is because that is how important the friend game play is.

30. Blazen$oldier23
    December 5th, 2013 at 1:36 am

I am fairly disappointed at Dice…
    1. China rising came out yesterday and still haven’t played it because I have to “Buy” Premium when it was offered it when I preordered it…Bullshit
    2. I don’t care about the levoulotion shit which is awesome when they added to it, but for us 360 fans a creates such a negative lag towards us and then freezes up my 360 because of it…. thankz fukin dice
    3. I don’t care that if you are a premium member or not but you should always play a vechicle when it is offered to you

• Kegstand
      December 6th, 2013 at 8:07 am

Bought mine yesterday, returned it today.

31. Justin
    December 7th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I just want to play the campaign but it will not save my progress once I turn off my PS4.I always play the main story first then online.Please get the campaign fixed so I don’t have to play the first hour or two over and over and over again.

32. Justin
    December 9th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Come on now fix everything wrong with this game on ps4 it sucks ass to restart the game every time to play online it loads a match goes to black screen then nothing have to turn game off then back on almost every time you people have been making battlefield how long now It looks like I might have to go to C O D Ghost

33. Adam
    December 9th, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I am pissed… I have always loved bf… Not anymore. Why don’t you make sure a game is READY to play before launching…. HORRIBLE. Refund please…

34. xiledghost
    December 12th, 2013 at 2:49 pm

My biggest problem is the pre-game squad creation feature that has been left out. They say they have a new feature that will place you and your friends in the same squad once they join your game. It always puts me and my friends in full games, there is no room for anyone else to join. This is bs, being a squad based game you should easily be able to join a server with a group of friend but nope. This has completly ruined the game for me unless this problem is resolved i wont be playin this anymore. Also ive played 2 hours into the campaign twice exited the game properly. Only to turn it on again to find that it doesnt even recognize that ive ever had a saved game. There goes the single player mode for me also. Good job dice effing up multiplayer and single. Im regretting buying this shiit already.

35. Mrgreeen
    December 13th, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Dice messed up the chopper horribly on bf4! Y take everything away and change everything around! I’m very disappointed in the chopper! I thought u were supposed to make a better game not a dif one!

36. Scott
    December 19th, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Battlefield 4 has turned my xbox 360 off three times now due to overheating it seems. I Cannot turn the xbox on from the front of the console, I have to turn it off from the socket and back on again, and I have NEVER had this issue before now. Not happy at all! Are you trying to kill my 360 so I have to buy an xboxone? If you kill my box, I will never purchase an xbox or EA game again! Conspiracy going on here I’m sure.

37. steve hardin
    December 22nd, 2013 at 4:47 pm

battlefield 4 is just full of lock ups. i play these games because i like them. but it is hard to enjoy the game when it locks up (freezes). the only way i have found to correct this is to start the game over from the last check point. is it your format or just a bad copy of the game or the game over all?
    i sure would like to enjoy the game. have any ideas or answers?

38. John
    December 25th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thanks for nothing battlefield. Because of the stupid update I couldn’t use b4 on my xbox 4g. I spent an hour freeing up space and it still wouldn’t work, my family eagerly waiting to play the game we’ve been waiting forever to get. Then I spent another hour figuring out why it didn’t work and I finally found the “notice” on the back of the game that is smaller than ever. Next time put it at the front so I CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT. The seller didn’t give my parents the warning and now we have to wait to get a hard drive. Thanks for nothing battlefield
    Have a “merry” Christmas.

39. John Camacho
    January 11th, 2014 at 10:12 pm

After an hour of unlocking guns, I switch to another server and all my progression is gone. Not looking forward to keeping this game for long

40. christian czarnecki
    January 16th, 2014 at 5:32 pm

41. christian czarnecki
    January 16th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I just got done playing your game and died 4 times with people on 0 I repeat 0 health. Please fix as soon as possible cause this is either a cheat or a glitch but either way it shouldnt happen at all. After the people killed me with 0 health they ran away aka still alive.

42. PuR3 NB. N3WBR33DZ
    January 20th, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I am still having trouble playing the map Dawnbreaker after the most recent update on Jan. 16, 2014. I haven’t heard much feeback from other players but there’s still the issue. I know you guys at Dice/EA are working hard to fix the issue. I just wanted to put my comment out there and hope for the best. Battlefield has been great and I hope it stays that way. Thanks PuR3 NB

• boydie1
      February 28th, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I haven’t been able to play dawnbreaker start to finish ONCE, it has frozen on me EVERY TIME! so when it comes up now i just quit before i do really well and lose all my stats for the game.

43. Adam hamilton
    January 27th, 2014 at 1:54 am

If you dont buy premium the game takes a ridiculously long time to advance through. I dont think its fair that since i dont wanna pay the cost of another game that the point system is absolute garbage. Guys killing you when they run away with 0 health. Pretty sure zero health means they are dead. I used to like this game but after playing it for weeks and im not impressed with it any more. To hell with this game

44. steve hardin
    February 7th, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Well, I see you are still taking the all the complaints, and still doing nothing to help the people that bought your crap. If you have not figured it out yet, your just killing your business in the future. Take the money and run, you do not show any sign of really giving a crap about the people who are (were) making you money. Have a nice day, A–H—.

45. Lucas
    February 19th, 2014 at 5:41 am

My Battlefield crashed yesterday and when I logged on today all my stuff was reset, e.g. I had no scopes, all starting weapons and no unlocked attachments.
    I don’t know what to do. Any help?

46. Eric Schwenn
    February 22nd, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I was max level in the attack boat, attack helecopter and the Tank but one day it was sent back to level zero…don’t know if the developers can revert this or not but it’s kind of disappointing.

47. Thomas Truswell
    March 30th, 2014 at 3:28 am

It would be awesome if Dice added a final kill cam at the end of any game mode as battlefield is a game that people get some really amazing kills this would be a good feature to have.Aswell battlefield is the biggest first person shooter that has a large amount of transport and cool things like that it would be cool if in an up coming update there was an animation for getting into them

48. Battlefield 4 criddict
    May 16th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

How do you fix on xbox saying too young or do not have the right permissions for battlefield 4?