DICE: Battlefield 4 netcode is top priority, working on a fix

DICE says that the netcode is a top priority for the developer, and that they are working to fix the recent issues.

Battlefield 4 netcode

Over the past week, we’ve seen plenty of videos showing just how horrible the Battlefield 4 netcode is. Players will empty a magazine at an enemy, only to have none of the hits to register (and get killed in return). Or the more common situation where a player goes behind cover, but due to the netcode and lag, is killed behind cover (see the video below and the GIF above for an example).

Now the developer has for the first time responded to the netcode situation, with DICE’s Gustav Halling saying that the “netcode issues I’ve seen in a few videos is a top priority”, and added that that they are working on it.

Last week, after tons of complaints about the game crashing and freezing (which is still going on), DICE released a short statement saying that they are working on a Battlefield 4 patch to fix the crashes.

We’re not sure if the upcoming patch will include both netcode optimization and crash fixes. The netcode is notoriously difficult to change and fix, and it took several patches for BF3 before its issues were resolved. By comparison the netcode in Battlefield 4 is even worse, but at least it’s confirmed that DICE are aware of the issues and are working on it.

DICE has released several server patches since launch, the last one just a few days ago, which is supposed to fix the server crash issues. Battlelog has also been updated several times since launch, the last gone going live today.

These issues are likely due to EA pushing Battlefield 4 through quality control, in order to beat Call of Duty to the market.

Check out the video below or an example of the Battlefield 4 netcode situation.

Via Twitter

1. whatever
    November 7th, 2013 at 11:43 am

Well, at least they acknowledged the fact that the problem exists…

• Steven montoya
      November 8th, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’ve just started having this problem tonight. While playing multiplayer; when given the option to choose your class i go to choose support and it crashes to the point i have to do a hard reset. Isn’t this harmful to the hard drive? Im on ps3

• JIZzSUCKLEr
        November 10th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hey all u gotta do is to take indirect fire off

• Pete
          November 10th, 2013 at 9:47 pm

What does that mean?

• MikeyStabs
      November 15th, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Yeah no kidding…there is no reason to post a freaking video WE ALL KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! I’m playing Ghosts right now..come on DICE don’t do this too me for too long =).

2. Jay
    November 7th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

They also need to fix where ribbons don’t even count towards your actual xp. That is a nother huge problem that not too many people even know…

• flamingfirewolf
      November 7th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

vote: +1

it sucks so, so bad that i get heaps of ribbons that are worth thousands of points and i do not actually get those points…….needs fixing but after they finish the “net code” as it is on a much higher scale to most players

• Migalhas
        November 10th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I think the priority should be the random crashes in SP and MP

• Pete
        November 10th, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I’ve been wondering why this was taking so long to upgrade on some classes!

3. Methodoc
    November 7th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Damn. The one thing that annoyed me the most (there were a lot of things) in BF3 was the damn netcode. I honestly thought it was cleared in BF4, just didn’t notice it I guess.

• Antelano
      November 11th, 2013 at 11:56 am

The netcode seemed very good in the BETA. I don’t know what happened. It’s ten times worse now.

• loac77
        November 11th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I Agree. I’m bored to play feel playing like a noob. My stats are uggly!!! Today i’ve been killed in the stairs, and the ennemy was on floor up to me…

4. Lorider
    November 7th, 2013 at 10:54 pm

BF4 Central can you guys please hound DICE to also fix the FOV with the ADS

• Chuck
      November 13th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

What’s wrong with it? It doesn’t change fov when you ADS like it did in bf3, i prefer it how it is now.

• Josh
        November 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 pm

You may prefer it, but there is a lot more people wanting it to be the exact same as it was in BF3, there was no problem with it. But no, DICE had to copy MOH:Warfighter because that game was “good”… -___-

5. Keith
    November 8th, 2013 at 12:10 am

LOL, bullshit. We all know that beating Call of Duty to market was the top priority, game quality be damned.

• Pete
      November 10th, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Yep and I’m really wanting a refund where I’ll give Ghosts a try because this is a Beta release being sold for top billing!

• RussK14
        November 12th, 2013 at 5:40 am

Don’t do it. 11 days and haven’t received the refund but went ahead and bought Ghosts and it’s worse!

6. Gamer420
    November 8th, 2013 at 1:24 am

A friend just told me that he only had BF4 for only a week and the game has no marks no scratches nothing and it freezes his system and his ps3 is brand new as well. WTF is up with that?

• Tyrane
      November 9th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

same with me and my x360 ill quit a game and that black screen remains forever black. from that minute to the time i start a new game is about five full minutes. its really annoying

• Chuck
        November 9th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

That’s what you get for playing FPS shooters on console.

• DaniBlue
          November 10th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Troll fail

• Limellama
            March 8th, 2014 at 2:39 am

It is not a ‘Troll fail’, you must be one of the poor souls who can’t get enough money from mummy to buy a pc, even get a shitty branded pc that is better than a console.

7. Psn
    November 8th, 2013 at 2:17 am

& what’s up when you rank up! It pops out on your screen about a zillion times lol foreal though, that shit comes out a lot of times, once is enough !

• Tyrane
      November 9th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

i think this was on purpose and i like it. one time i didnt notice it until the third time and i have a tradition that i cannot break where i shout PROMOTED! PROMOTED! in the battlefield friends noob voice every time i rank up.

8. St3pp3nWolf77
    November 8th, 2013 at 2:37 am

“netcode issues I’ve seen in a few videos is a top priority”…
    So I take it that he haven’t ever played the game to see himself what’s going on right? Just played fake games with his colleagues in dice to create shit ad videos like “only in battlefield”?

9. azoz
    November 8th, 2013 at 3:38 am

I don’t know about the problem on BF4.

But this happens to me on BF3 .. Not like this horrible video thought.

10. Carlos
    November 8th, 2013 at 6:33 am

Thank you BF4CENTRAL for publishing fcked net code articles. I have seen many games where big sites did not write about major bugs in these games so the developers were disregarding these issues.

11. mezeg
    November 8th, 2013 at 9:50 am

DICE’s netcode is absolute SHIT! It’s horrendous! I am sorry I bought this game and I DEMAND a fix ASAP. Nao!

• Duhmentia
      November 8th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Wow, just be patient it will be fixed in time. Asking for a fix now won’t help anything Netcode will take awhile to fix. If it annoys you that much then play BF3 for the time being.

• MR.D
        November 11th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Are u from EA? well i guess so, then listen – people paid MONEY, not a little by the way, to get what the full product supposed to deliver, not the half measured piece of unplayable crap. I know game is stunning, beautiful etc etc BUT its online FPS and thing like netcode is a CORE subject. Imagine buying a car with broken clutch, just wait a month it will be repaired (maybe).

• Razz
          November 12th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I fully agree with you… there is absolutely no way that they can claim that they weren’t able to pick up the horrendous gameplay during testing…

the final product is more of an ‘up yours we already have your money’ if ever i’ve seen one

12. Max
    November 8th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

How about fixing the connection issues so I can even play? Its been a week and I can’t connect to any server. I’m not alone. Its the old Client disconnected error.
    First BF3 is unplayable on launch, then medal of honor warfighter is playable for me but not many others and support dropped in less than 6 months. The SimCity launch is massive disaster and the game took months to patch up. Now here I have yet another EA release that I can’t play.

• lc
      January 17th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

man seriously ive never had this fuking bug that bug is nothing to do with dice or the game shame your to stupid to realize this just because it affects other people does not mean its a bug Guess what dumb ass Try removing your anti virus and other such programs and it will work guaranteed seriously its the oldest trick in the book Anti virus is known for fuking up connecting to games and some games wont even work with certain antiviruses espially nortans

13. Meh
    November 8th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Lesson learned. I will never preorder anything from EA ever again. I will ignore the preview videos, the beta, the hype.

14. Jesus of Nazareth
    November 9th, 2013 at 8:45 am

Yo dawgs, wut it b?

So DICE b droppin this weak azz shizz on us vets (I b ballin’ since 1942 yo). I’s can overlook poor map designs and elementary-school level weapon balancing, but I’s b damned if the netcode b worse than BF3, which (crappy COD games aside) had probably the most disappointing and frustrating netcode performance to date of any mainstream shooter I’s b played.

Battlefield 4 has potential to be the top dawg some day, but until thems bros at DICE fix the netcode, this game is, how can I’s say, a putrid pile of malodorous excrement spewed from the unpropitious bowels of a parsimonious corporate soul-sucking despot.

I do bid you good day fellow BF4central reader, word dawg.

• Tyrane
      November 9th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

haha yur one of the 12 year old white kids that try to sound black to sound cool. cut it its really obvious. but i agree with you

• Judas
      November 12th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

“…a putrid pile of malodorous excrement spewed from the unpropitious bowels of a parsimonious corporate soul-sucking despot.”

“So DICE b droppin this weak azz shizz on us vets (I b ballin’ since 1942 yo)”

How in the world these from the same comment?

• lc
      January 17th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

please kill yourself ( dawwwg)

15. slaSS
    November 9th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I hate most of them one shot kills, how can you dodge those bullets if you die on the first (seemingly first) shot?

• Tyrane
      November 9th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Headshots

• slaSS
        November 10th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Headshot with normal assault rifle is 60%

16. Vito
    November 9th, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Another game we paid for that will take 2 months to fix.
    Any lawyers play or try to play the game? Gotta be something illegal about releasing another game that doesn’t work that people paid for.

17. Andrew
    November 10th, 2013 at 5:20 am

Like others have said here, this isn’t a new problem and has plagued the Battlefield series for a long time, They eventually got it almost sorted out in BF3 and i am sure everyone was expecting the same if not better netcode to be in BF4. Well that wasn’t the case and this time around it’s much much worse. It’s great that dice have “acknowledged” that there is a problem ‘publicly’ now, but all they have done is acknowledge an issue they have known about for months if not longer, and they never actually said that they knew about it before release, just the “netcode issues I’ve seen in a few videos”.

Blame Dice if you want, but trying to be first to market by big corporations (EA) isn’t new. It’s happened for an age and EA is smart enough to know the additional revenue they can get from being first to release, and they tightened the screws on Dice by making the decision to release an unfinished product.

As much as i love Battlefield 4 and i never expect a game to be perfect on release, I do expect a certain level of quality. Dice knows their audience is mostly MP gamers and that the netcode is one of those core game components that should be near perfect before first release. If Dice had their way the game might have been delayed, but EA wears the pants in that relationship and the big corporates always get their way. This isn’t the first time you have bought a substandard game on release and it certainly won’t be the last. The unfortunate reality is that in the end, it’s always the consumer that pays the price (literally), and we continue to make the same mistake over and over again. I have no doubt that most people on these forums (me included) will pre-order Battlefield 5 as well, continuing the cycle…

• LessonLearned
      November 12th, 2013 at 5:16 am

Two can play at this game. EA/Dice have burned me for the last time in this manner. I’ll avoid buyers remorse with future releases by showing some patience after launch. If a complete game is released I might consider paying for it.

18. KB77
    November 10th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Um, this was never fixed in BF3. And it never will be right in BF4.

• PeopleStupidityIsInfinite
      November 25th, 2013 at 2:20 am

Finally, someone did notice that BF3 was horrible too.
      I appreciate the fact that this article is getting attention towards a big point but it has some flaws. Example WTF is “The netcode is notoriously difficult to change and fix, and it took several patches for BF3 before its issues were resolved.” mean? Is it FIXED in BF3??? Come on, it is still shitty after they released few patches and resolving it.
      And they are not aware of the problem “FOR MONTHS” it’s been f**king two years dammit.
      “the netcode is one of those core game components that should be near perfect before first release.” and
      “its online FPS and thing like netcode is a CORE subject.”
      and finally ” I have no doubt that most people on these forums (me included) will pre-order Battlefield 5 as well, continuing the cycle…” I can’t agree more.

19. CW
    November 11th, 2013 at 1:14 am

Deaths behind walls is kind of a meh… it is normal after all to some extent (due to technology limitations). It just means that you were dead some time before and your client was not told about it in time.

What is much worse imho and I really hate is enemy shooting you while appearing to be looking 90 degrees to the left. You even see tracers fly out of tip of their gun straight at you … wtf ? It happened to me ~10 times already. It looks like consistent bug because it is always some 90 to the left (or right when from my point of view). How the hell is one supposed to pick his targets if can not be sure which way enemy is facing ?
    I have never seen such amount of bugs in any BF before this.

20. keven
    November 11th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I am wondering why every time I pick my support class it freezes my game they need to fix that too

21. UNITAndy
    November 12th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I’m worry about his repair netcode. He made worst game from BF3, every update made next and more more problems with hit register but some people have different sytuation and kill one two shots. If they made somthink like this for me is end of the Dice and lot of my frend and me never buy Dice products. We have enaf problems is why we call battlefields4 “battleshits3/1,4″
    DICE pleace we have enaf nerws with , remove stupid statistics and use power to perforamance .

22. William
    November 12th, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I still haven’t got the veteran battlepack, and I play battlefield 3 wear did it go

23. HammerLee
    November 13th, 2013 at 3:09 am

Updated NvIdia Experience last night and hey presto! BF4 now runs without crashing.

24. Consoler
    November 13th, 2013 at 6:20 am

BATTLEFREEZE 4!!!!! Publishers competing for my money, while throwing quality completely out the focking window are the scum of the game industry. I want quality, a game that works! I do not care about their wanting to beat out a competitor before their launch date. All EA all to do was ensure a great, working game and it would have no problem beating out CoD.

25. Quality first
    November 13th, 2013 at 7:12 am

From now on, I refuse to pre-order any game with EA as their publisher!

26. Matthew
    November 14th, 2013 at 11:55 am

imao this game shouldent by never relased crashes now every game, fps drops, terrible netcode, lags on servers when you got ping 15, hit target lags,ribbon bug for paying 54 pounds i expected at least playable game this what i got a specialy after update its not playable its my last bf game i bought thank you for killing my fav game have all parts of battlefield and i never was so dissapointed like whit 4th

27. Jleiiva
    November 19th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Thats, people. It’s because battlefield 4 is for NEXT GEN

28. Dan
    November 23rd, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Please stop competing with activision… Forget about when COD is being released… AND FINISH DEVELOPING THE GAME BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT!

29. Dave
    December 8th, 2013 at 10:29 am

If Im in a helicopter and it crashes at the end of the round because Im to close to the ground when the game takes control just before ending, the game counts that death. This isn’t fair considering the game caused me to die when it takes control seconds before the end. Please fix so I can continue 30-0 games

30. Mike
    December 11th, 2013 at 2:43 am

Game developers/Game publishers should be held accountable for faulty coding in their products. What we have today is a form of “let the buyer beware”. When buying a game, you are likely to either: a) be able to run it, or b) won’t be able to run it. Sometimes developers are quick to fix problems, oftentimes not. We as buyers are usually the ones who get screwed over in the long run.

31. Yooooooooooooop
    December 23rd, 2013 at 12:56 pm

The netcode issues are not even close to fixed yet. It is now December 23.

32. Juju
    December 25th, 2013 at 12:07 am

Where’s the fix? lol

33. Daniel
    January 4th, 2014 at 11:29 pm

If I were to give a word of advise for the game developers, I would say, never never never rush a game such as this to beat a game like CoD. Because if they focused beforehand and perfected the gameplay, then this game would of outscored the competitor any day. In sales and in good reviews. Dice has the entire Battlefield community which would have bought the game. I would have been willing to wait to buy this game if it was a game that was complete and near perfect on release date. ( which a game rarely is though.) My point being that this game could have beat Call of Duty silly if the gameplay was sound on release. Because from what I hear, lots of people hate CoD. It probably has beat CoD, I don’t know what the statistics are. Thanks for reading.

34. TrueLow
    January 13th, 2014 at 1:16 am

Had always “hitting behind cover” issue but never so bad like in video. Even in BF3. Now stability of game is very good in my opinion and I believe DICE improve netcode someday. I played over 400 hours already and experienced lot of frustrating moments but still I thing game has great potential once it will be fixed.