DICE tries to silence Battlefield 4 critics on official forums

Want to criticize BF4 on the official forums? DICE will turn your "upvotes" into "downvotes"

Last week DICE announced a Battlefield 4 “players appreciation”, where players would get a week of double XP and a pistol scope as a token for all the issues that have been plaguing the game.

Some players didn’t think was enough for all the trouble they’ve been through with Battlefield 4 so far. One player in particular was insulted by DICE’s gesture, and he made sure to share his thoughts on the official forum page where DICE announced their “player appreciation”.

Here’s what player InV-Mongtiml0 wrote in its entirety:

“I personally find it insulting that EA/DICE think a week of double XP and a pistol scope is some kind of token of appreciation. Many of us paid over a hundred dollars for a game that was so clearly not ready for release and while I truly believe that some DICE devs are sorry, I don’t see flipping a few switches to give players extra experience as anything but damage control.”

He continued,

“If EA/DICE are truly sorry, they can show it through action. More developer-player interaction, involve the community in balance decisions, constant updates on patch progress, FULL patch notes, Premium content that isn’t camo. I won’t want to be so negative. I’d like to see double XP as a start. I sincerely hope that EA/DICE follows through.”

His forum post got 2000+ upvotes (or “hooahs” in Battlelog slang), then magically, those 2000 upvotes turned into downvotes. Someone at DICE apparently just flipped a switch and removed a post a lot of players liked, thereby burying the post into oblivion.

We’re sure DICE is working hard to fix Battlefield 4, but this sort of thing is just beneath them. It’s a shame it has come to this.

After this whole ordeal was pointed out on Reddit, the upvotes/downvotes were magically reverted again, something DICE claims was a “bug”. What a coincidence that the first and only time this bug happens is when someone is highly critical of DICE…

Here’s a screenshot of the forum post:

Battlefield 4 critical post

1. Olympus
    November 25th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Suppression

2. gutgut
    November 25th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Maybe was realy a bug. If the up/downvote are on 12 bits on the database :
    0-2048 = 0-2048
    then 2048 => 4096 are -2047 to 1

If the votes are +2057 on 12 bits, we’ll see -2036 (just like the screen.)

We call that a “integer overflow”.

• gutgut
      November 25th, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Oops some mistake on that, it’s “2049 => 4096 are -2047 to -1″

• Notabug
      November 29th, 2013 at 9:08 am

If you had bothered to do your research you’d see *all* the top comments being critical of dice ended up on the last pages of each news thread. everyone one ranging from 200-800 thumbs up got negatived.
      This one still remains unhidden:

3. Anonymous
    November 25th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

It’s still there though with the 2000 upvotes.

• Anonymous
      November 25th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Didn’t read the last paragraph before posting this :D

4. Vincent Vukovic
    November 25th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

We don’t censor criticism, and never will. This happened because of a bug in Battlelog, and the team is tracking to fix it. OP received an apology, as this shouldn’t have happened.

• derp
      November 25th, 2013 at 2:37 pm

HAHA! This guy….

• EA_PoolShark
      November 25th, 2013 at 9:56 pm

You may not be aware that’s a lie, but it’s 100% untrue.

• ML
      November 26th, 2013 at 6:12 am

Maybe you could throw in a gunscope or two ;)

• michael solomon
      November 29th, 2013 at 4:19 am

people get a sense of paranoia and instantly jump to conclusion’s!!! maybe bloggers should cut back on weed, when bf3 used to crash i used to think dice were pulling server plugs on me or something when in reality everyone was suffering crashes when they were on a super kill streak and in first place thanks for that by the way. ps that last part was sarcasm so don’t go celebrating nico belic style will you.

• pizza
        December 22nd, 2013 at 1:49 pm

i agree with you,
        first they say it might be the case and then a week later they think it is the cas because of stupid people who say it is true if they want it is true.

• Brett
      February 18th, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Ummm my PS4 version of BF4 is experiencing some serious glitch. All of my BF4 unlocks are totally gone in game but they are still present in my battlelog, what’s that all about? I already had looked for an answer but that answer only worked temporarily. I signed out of my battle log via my phone and it seemed to bring everything back when I restarted the game…..now that sign out trick no longer brings back my unlocks. This is some serious BS! How can problem be permanently fixed?

November 25th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Sort of like if you like your health plan you can keep it….

• Orcs
      November 26th, 2013 at 3:32 am

You manipulated me into laughing out loud. Thank you.

6. Chiefy
    November 25th, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Many developers are engaging in the sort of behaviour more and more these days.

It’s disgusting and those in positions of power to call them out, such as gaming websites need to address this and shame them publicly.

So far the only person I’ve seen shout with a reasonably large following is Total Biscuit. So called ‘gaming journalists’ on the big ones like IGN, should be ashamed of theirselves for just turning a blind eye and in some cases even backing devs & publishers in this disgraceful behaviour.

Vote with your wallets in future.

• Chiefy
      November 25th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Maybe give DICE the benefit of the doubt on this one… But EA has done this before unashamedly…

Just keep an eye out

7. mike
    November 25th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

damn DICE even on bf4central

just keep bringing the awesome games DICE u have my support

8. Sublethal67
    November 25th, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I agree. I paid my $120.00, finished the campaign, and so far played approximately 75 hours online. What did i get for that you ask? Well for starters my 75 hrs of online play took me approx. 120 hrs to complete due to bf4 “freezing” my xbox every 1-3 matches and to top it all off Corrupting my saves and data causing ALL of my campaign files to be totally wiped AND every time i do get to play an online match i have to redo all of my settings, camos and vehicle choices… EVERY MATCH! Oh and by the way Mass Effect did the exact same thing to me 1 year ago Another EA FAIL!! They have a traceable history of this garbage and a running history of not doing a darn thing about it. Take the money and run EA! You got me twice now. It WILL NOT happen again. Sincerely another lost ( at one time devoted) former fan……

• Demon
      December 8th, 2013 at 2:37 am

I have had the memory loss for campian just like you. but for multiplyer i just installed my disk to my had drive and i fixed all that try.

• SC Snip3r
      January 10th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I’ve had the same issues, having to reset my loadouts every match, game freezing, bad server connection, corrupted campaign files.. Same for MOHW, also by EA. EA just doesn’t listen to it’s supporters and fans and Buyers. They never do a damned thing about it and BF4 will be my last EA game.

9. Pavel
    November 25th, 2013 at 11:46 pm

maybe it was a bug engine forum. on bf forums you can either vote for the post, or revoke your vote. nothing more.

10. Arithon
    November 26th, 2013 at 1:05 am

I have to agree. I’ve bought every BF game in the franchise since BF1942 and this final version is little more than an overblown expansion pack for BF3.
    What’s more, the level and sheer volume of bugs, many of which were in BF3, that made it into the game release are impossible to overlook.

There’s more than a few people with the “BF4 has stopped working” emblem. Protest or irony?

The massive shrinkage of firms “authorised” to host the servers and the huge price tag making the total game cost over £80-105 is adding insult to injury.

• Lol battlepacks
      November 27th, 2013 at 10:31 am

At least BF3 finally gained some continuity after all its updates.

Agreed that this is just an enhanced version, but my god it is soo frustrating to play.. It’s a complete mess!

Seems like they incorporated to many gimmicks and lost the real appeal of the game!

11. zosis
    November 26th, 2013 at 1:55 am

These things happen only because people buy games before or right after they come out. Just wait out (you already know that every online shooter needs 3 to 6 month to get proper) – this way you’ll make publishers offer you better deals or even improve quality of their product.
    I’ll buy the game when it will be properly patched and the price drops to 20$ – until then EA would have to feed of easier prey.

• Paul
      February 3rd, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Wise words.
      If people were patient, and not so eager, then the money men (and do not think that decisions are made on anything other than money) would allow the developers the proper scope to do their job properly.
      The pressures to produce by a given time or else, is not good when developing something as complex and groundbreaking as this.
      If it was a game that is playing it safe, then maybe we should expect more from developers, but when it is pushing the known limits, then it is pressures from the money that push it out before it is ready.
      And to be frank, I have more problems with Origin, which is about as groundbreaking as pacman, and should not be the unstable pig that it is.

12. ea equals fail
    November 26th, 2013 at 2:45 am

Well this is normal when EA are involved. All they want is your cash.

13. ML
    November 26th, 2013 at 6:10 am

I’ll assume it was indeed a bug, a very unpleasant one (for dice) in this case. It would be very, very wrong if it was a deliberate action.

I’m more and more dissapointed at the fact that this whole ordeal only has losers. The public, the developers, it’s fubar for everyone and it casts a shadow over an otherwise great game. Let’s just hope lessons are being learned. I do agree with the forum post though, I’d hardly call a week of double xp and a gunscope a compensation. It’s bordering on just being insulting. It would have been better to throw in a free dlc or something, that would have made it count on a level the consumers really care about: their wallet. It would have send out a positive signal: it’s not about money, it’s about creating an awesome game and satisfied community.

I haven’t had so much problems that I feel I should be compensated, but I’m sure others have and already feel sorry for spending that much money on a work in progress.

That said, I’m very much enjoying this game and am sure it will only get better. I’ve already had 55+ hours of great fun and I’m looking forward to playing again tonight. I might even consider premium if they get the basic operation trustworthy and the game balanced (I miss my jet-gameplay, bf3 was a lot more satisfying when it comes to flying).

14. JohnGreasyGamer
    November 26th, 2013 at 7:49 am

I think the behaviour that forum moderator had was disgusting and completely unprofessional, and the sad part is whoever did it is not alone in doing this. Forums in particular are a huge target for delete key-happy moderators and it’s not just here but video sharing sites and streaming sites.

The worst part is that the post wasn’t all that bad, and he easily justifies his points by claiming that players have paid hundreds of pounds/euros/dollars for the game and its bonus access features. Bonus XP – while at least it’s done – is not enough to justify a poorly programmed mess of glitches, bugs and non-existent netcode. I will however say that DICE are doing their very best to patch the game, and because of this, I say that they deserve the chance to get on with their work.

In all, I agree with what he’s saying. “Damage control” is the perfect term to describe the week of bonus experience but he is right in asking for more from the Premium service, news and communication with the developers. A game in such a disastrous state requires player input, which is should have had prior to the premature release of the game.

PS: I call BS on the ‘bug’. As BF4Central said it best, it’s funny how this ‘bug’ occurred when someone was at their most critical and constructive.

15. dougal
    November 26th, 2013 at 8:45 am

I got banned on EA support forum for complaining and posting screenshot of errorlog (http://imgur.com/gvZXMHb). They can go sing for my money in future. EA, never again. Premium shafting indeed. Double XP weekend is salt in the wounds. I can’t play without crashing, I rarely get through a single round without a crash. So I can’t get a the double XP AND it devalues premium accounts. GG?

16. Truth
    November 28th, 2013 at 1:43 am

Dice/EA didn’t change the votes, that would be stupid. They would just delete the thread if they REALLY wanted to cover it up, but what’s the point? The only people that go on the forum are the ones that have already bought the game. DICE/EA is only concerned about making people buy the game, maybe premium, before you realize its buggy as shit and put it down for a few months.

The real problem here is what the thread originally talks about. Quit getting distracted by your paranoia.

17. FuzzFace McGee
    November 30th, 2013 at 4:27 am

This has happened to me as well where i’ve made videos on the huge problems the game has had and posted them on the forum for the moderators and DICE to see so they can get the bugs worked out and they removed them so nobody else could see the problems i’ve been having. I’m not a happy camper.

18. gffg
    November 30th, 2013 at 5:21 am

game would be great if it wasnt unfinished garbage. if they are going to charge inflated $60+ for video games, id expect them to learn how to beta test properly.

19. Josh Taulbee
    December 1st, 2013 at 12:18 pm

What its the point of this double exp if the servers won’t work long enough to enjoy the double exp. I still freeze up with my support class, the answer I get change the kit…fix you game I wouldn’t have to. I just want my money back or a functioning battlefield 4 game. Or a ps4, brother has one with no issues, they fix that but not ps3. Give us a ps4, money back, or fix the dang game for ps3.

• David Sanko
      December 3rd, 2013 at 9:13 pm

or get job get off your lazy ass and buy your own damn ps4.

• SC Snip3r
        January 10th, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Then have EA get off their damn asses and FIX the issues going on. Not cover them up with lies.

20. Marten Clark
    December 2nd, 2013 at 8:56 am

I use ps3, im well into my forties and am disgusted in the lies and deceipt used to sell this game. I have invested alot of money and thousands of hours into the BF series from the beginning , also upgrading to premium on both bf3 and 4 with pre orders on both, bf 3 was a little testing….bf 4 is a complete wash out, a month in and no patch or sign of one for ps3, NO SOCIAL OR BUSINESS MORALS springs to mind.
    Both EA and DICE are equally responsible for this rip off and deceipt and i for one will never preorder or buy new from these two companies again, im only buying second hand now when their game is but a tenner, therefore getting a game months later, part fixed without the feeling ive been ripped off and best of all, ABSOLUTELY NONE OF MY MONEY HAS LANDED IN EA OR DICE POCKETS :)) Good luck you two for the future, my age and life experience tells me your days are numbered, might be still a big number but its definately shortened by i’d say at least 6 or seven figures.

21. pissed off
    December 2nd, 2013 at 5:48 pm

• pissed off more
      December 11th, 2013 at 8:35 pm

+1000

22. Greasebagz
    December 3rd, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It’s sucks that this game is so enjoyable becauee underneath all of the fancy graphics and gameplay it’s a dying 70 year old lung cancer victim with a facelift. I’ve played the first and second level of campaign over 5 times now because your game won’t save my progress.

23. sick
    December 5th, 2013 at 5:43 am

Oh, … and I was just about to buy this game. I was a little bit enraged that it would cost 120€ … so I googled “battlefield 4 120 dollars” and found this.

Well, … no BF4 for me then :D.

24. andy
    December 8th, 2013 at 10:47 am

This game is pathetic at best! Not even BETA quality! Save your money and frustration and buy something else, At least until the bugs are worked out, if ever? I’ve seen folks ranked up over a 100 with little over a 100 hrs??? No cheating here right?

25. Concerned customer
    December 8th, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I think, that the double XP weekend was a good start.
    But as the poster also said, it should only be a start of something, ex. including the community more, and that EA/DICE actually show themselves in the forums, wich they never do.
    How often have you seen a DICE/EA employee post on the forum or reply to anything ? I see alot of questions, but not one single answer ?

And, to go a bit out of the topic – They said we’d get a gun scope ?
    I havent seen any gunscope in my “inventory” of choice, neither is it in the unlocks, and i’m lvl 70+ with almost nothing left to unlock, so im just wondering, Is this just a blatant lie or is it just another bug?

26. ken
    December 10th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

is it me or are ea servers terrible i’ve played nhl 13 and 14 battlefield bc2, 3, and 4 and moh 1 and warfighter and there’s random lag that can last hours and every single one of those games has frozen in some random screenshot its not my system cause i’ve been through 3 consoles not my internet because i’ve been connected to all kinds of nerworks i’m just saying i know handling so much data is probably hard work but you sold the games knowing most players would be playing online hell most of your marketing is focused on it just saying yo and i paid 60 bucks for bf4 you think i wanna drop another 50 fot premium i know games are made for profit but wtf is that bs

27. Rodney Holbert
    January 1st, 2014 at 4:58 pm

It’s 7:55 p.m. here on the east coast. Trying to play your game BF4 guess what? I can not get on a server again! Server browser says 1/64 all the way down the list. DICE Looks like you losing all your loyal fans, like me.

28. jose
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

The sad thing about it is that I love DICE. I worked with them on A few things, and I’m going to say that they have a good team of devs, they have a team where they Look at all of the comments and ideas that the community Posts online and bring It to the table. Why do think Commander Mode is back, motion sensors, GOL sniper rifle(part of Second Assault)bit likeing a dev that is owned by publishers that suck ass…EA, taking peoples money, saying there going to use it for one thing and does another. I feel bad for DICE…hopefully one day they make enough Money to dispand form EA…hopefully…

29. alex
    January 30th, 2014 at 5:35 am

A bug? Well that’s something EA/DICE should be familiar with…

30. Luke
    February 3rd, 2014 at 1:36 pm

It could have possibly been a bug; if Battlelog administrators see something they don’t like, they simply remove it and the previous post is replaced with a message notifying the reader of the comments removal, end of story. Why would the admins change the up-votes to down-votes instead of simply removing it?

31. Lima
    February 22nd, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I got a 24 hour forum ban for asknig for the disasterous Feb 13th patch fix ETA?

32. xB3L13V3Rx
    March 15th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

This game is getting WORSE each update. I have over 10K into my machine, over 150 PC games, and every game (with a 1 or 2 exceptions) runs flawless or at least within expectations. SO many issues with BF4, so laggy on most servers, which is a more recent problem for me than when it was released. Hit markers are not accurate or are just there to make you FEEL like you are hitting the opponent. What a failure on SO many levels. The biggest failures of all are that EA and it’s AWESOME leader have NO clue how to deliver a great game any more. 1000 features and 1000 customization’s, available on every platform is just a ridiculous endeavor. Battlefield was a game that was to be played competitively as well as for just plain fun. EA was interested how the BF name could bring in more revenue to an already failing company, not leave a legacy. THAT is where the COD franchise went wrong as well. Very sad… where is the next TRUE innovator in gaming??!!!

33. henig213
    March 30th, 2014 at 5:42 pm

my bf4 freezes every time a round ends . i tryed it 10 times in arow ,and i just went out and got a new ps3 so it’s not my system.paid over 100 bucks for this game and i can even play it .WTF DICE . i will never buy a dice game again !FIX YOUR GAME , DAM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. I'm done with dice
    March 31st, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Anyone know any other good shooting games other then cod?