New AMD driver fixes Battlefield 4 crashes in Windows 8

AMD has released new graphics drivers that fix some crashes for Windows 8 users.

AMD Battlefield 4 driversMany PC gamers are seeing awful performance in Battlefield 4, to a point where the game is practically unplayable. However, some Windows 8 users might see improvements, courtesy of new AMD graphics drivers.

AMD just released Catalyst 13.11 Beta8 drivers, which fix some crashing issues in Windows 8. This is unrelated to the general crashes and freezes that happen regardless of hardware setups.

The new Catalyst drivers are available for both Windows 7 and 8 users, and in addition to the crash fixes, they all bring some performance improvements, especially if you’re running Crossfire (dual AMD graphics cards). You can download the new drivers here. The new drivers also add support for the brand new R9 290 and R9 290X graphics cards from AMD.

AMD recently entered a partnership with EA to provide Battlefield 4 with its graphics cards, a deal that could be worth $8 million to EA.

What is your experience of Battlefield 4 running on PC so far? Let us know in the comments section.

TAGS:

1. Chris
    November 1st, 2013 at 12:08 pm

It was a bit ‘bouncy’ earlier on but it’s running pretty great now. Just had 3 full games on Paracel Storm (OMG!), Locker and another one. Sound, frame-rate and gameplay all as they should be: fantastic.

2. Chris
    November 1st, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oh, and I’m on a 670, ultra settings (minus msaa) and i7@4Ghz with 6Gb ram. I know – not AMD, just sayin’.

3. CptGiggles
    November 1st, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Running like you guys described in the ‘Battlefield 4 for PC is practically unplayable’ post, but this driver update did fix the BSOD during map change, which was a big one aswell. That’s one bug down, six hundred to go

4. Ali
    November 1st, 2013 at 12:17 pm

That’s why we call EA the worst company
    and Why we Buy COD &ACTIVATION & BUZZARD GAMES !!!

• jcrazzyj
      November 1st, 2013 at 6:42 pm

No…. Just no

• A very smart person
      November 4th, 2013 at 9:01 pm

activision* and just no

• an even smarter person
      November 20th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

………no. absolutely not,

5. uhhh....
    November 1st, 2013 at 1:30 pm

What about win7?

November 1st, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Its not the game, its Windows 8 thats the problem to begin with…Game runs great for me on Win 7 Ultimate since release.

• gg reading
      November 1st, 2013 at 2:53 pm

It’s not Windows 8 you chode.

They admit it is the ATi drivers, can you read english?

My gtx760 runs smooth as butter in Windows 8

• BL
        November 1st, 2013 at 4:51 pm

760 is the poor man’s 780…and Windows 8 still sucks a fat one!

• Hard Dominator
          November 6th, 2013 at 4:10 am

The game runs fine on Win8. You’re clearly not ready for it.

November 1st, 2013 at 1:45 pm

BTW 2 GTX 780s, 16 gb ram, 30 inch 2560 x 1600 display all ultra, i7 @ 4.8, 512Gb SSD FTW…Runs perfect!

• Blaite Gray
      November 20th, 2013 at 10:29 am

everything under 120hz is not perfect, just like everything under 4K displays… we are in 2013 dude.

8. BF$
    November 1st, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Running Nice on my i7 3770K at 4,5, 16 Mem and a GTX770
    I Installed BF4 on a SSD.

Al settings ultra produces 60fps.

I had some crashes and lost some progress. I hope they will fix this and the laggy servers/game.

9. BF$
    November 1st, 2013 at 6:07 pm

By the way does any of you know what dice and EA’s statements are.
    I hope the have brought out some comments about all this.

10. jcrazzyj
    November 1st, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Well I seem to be getting the crashes as well but form my understanding I have only been crashing when I have a under slung barrel. EX: A noob toob under the gun or shot gun. That’s my only problem.

11. RosDevil
    November 2nd, 2013 at 6:08 pm

thanks AMD! i have a Win7 and i went crazy when it crashed! Now never crashes again. THE BEST GAME EVER! BF4

(add me as friend, RosDevil)

• Andrey
      November 4th, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Can see my replies here? 1more try. Get crashes with AMD 13.25 driver that come with ASUS R290x BF4 edition windows 7 64bit 8gb ram.
      EROR brief not enough Direct 3D memory???
      Need yor help here. Thank you.

12. BF4 Crashes
    November 8th, 2013 at 8:32 am

What a joke… Got this driver with a 7870GHz OC Edition. Every game crashed or froze for several hours, then when I finally got one that didn’t of course the netcode was messed up so I was rubberbanding across the entire map. Even vehicles that were amphibious were slamming into the water and stopped as the game thought “can this go here” then let me drive it. Kind of hard to lead a target with an LAV if they’re jumping 20 feet at a time. I know that’s not the drivers fault. But the crashes, freezes, errors, and graphical glitches are. I get 80-90fps steady. So it’s not my card. It’s obviously the driver.

13. NL_HarryB
    November 13th, 2013 at 7:37 am

I’m running BF4 on Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, AMD R9 280x card with since a few days the latest 13.11 beta driver, and it got even worse. The game still crashes just as frequently, but also the graphics got much worse. Sometimes trees or grass just turn into walls through which I can’t see and subsequently get shot. Oh and did I mention the game still crashes every ten minutes?

14. Paul Smith
    November 15th, 2013 at 6:32 am

Battlefield 4 crashing is not caused solely by graphics driver issues. It’s clearly a fundamental design flaw in the game. This update made some improvements but Battlefield 4 is still unplayable and crashes frequently. Battlefield 4 crashes in the user interface as well as the 3D world. Battlefield 4 servers crash frequently kicking users out of the game even if their own client doesn’t crash. Be sure to test Battlefield 4 thoroughly within 24 hours after downloading from Origin so you can request a refund if the game is unstable on your system. I’ve tested this game myself and after hours of tweaking drivers and software was unable to complete a single Battlefield 4 map without crashing

15. Safdar Rizvi
    November 17th, 2013 at 4:51 am

I am having Stutter and i can’t find drivers for Battlfield 4, my Specs are: Processor core i3 3.10GHZ, GPU: ATI HD 4850, Memory: 4GB… Please Help me if you can…