PunkBuster: Battlefield 4 “Violation #89265” bans were false positives

PunkBuster confirms that the recently banned Battlefield 4 players over Violation #89265 have been cleared to play.

Battlefield 4 punkbusterThe official Battlefield 4 forums and fan forums around the web have been flooded in recent days with players reporting of being banned and kicked by PunkBuster. Specifically, it deals with Violation #89265, which is supposedly a hack. Initially, those players were dismissed by the community as “hackers”, but it now appears they were in fact innocent.

Punkbuster has confirmed that those bans were “false positives”, and that players affected by it should be un-banned from the game. In a brief announcement, PunkBuster said that the Violation #89265 code has been removed from their master servers, and they encouraged server owners to “give the benefit of doubt” to players who have been affected by this code.

However, while many players were innocently affected, there are several reports of PunkBuster refusing the appeal of the bans of several Battlefield 4 players over Violation #89265, even if the players claim to be innocent.

Since PunkBuster has removed Violation #89265 from its database entirely, it’s now up to server owners whether they’ll allow players who were previously affected by it to play. According to PunkBuster, anyone affected by Violation #89265 has been cleared in their own database.

PunkBuster has been with the Battlefield series from the beginning, being the go-to anti-cheat software from BF2 and onward. For Battlefield 4, DICE has supplemented with another system from Gameblocks, called FairFight, which adds another layer of anti-cheat protection.

1. Fidius
    November 9th, 2013 at 12:12 am

That’s pretty frustrating for the genuine players who were banned i would not be happy had it happened to me but in consolation those banned have only missed out on a week of misery with crashes and freezes etc etc …….at least they can know play.

2. mohammad
    November 9th, 2013 at 1:06 am

damn…. even the security system gonne crazy .

3. Sparky
    November 9th, 2013 at 6:30 am

At least it wasn’t a pregnancy test….

I understand my statement had nothing to do with the article, but its immediately what i though about when reading the headline.

4. Je Zus
    November 10th, 2013 at 8:59 am

I think PB should be more open for players input.
    I was kicked time after time one day by punkbuster.

I took me almost 2 hours to find the solution. Just a random suggestion somwhere on the internet from a person helped me out. This was not one of the solutions punkbuster or dice or EA gave me.

Furthermore i think when they find a real cheater/hacker they should be able to ban the combination of userdata + macadres + ipadres. This way its not that easy to come back. Also there should be some kind online contact form to snitch potentional hackers. And when the conclusion is he/she truly hacks/cheats. Ban like above.

5. Brandon Emery
    November 11th, 2013 at 7:23 am

I just bought Battlefield 4 premium last week. At first everything was great. Now every time I attempt to log in to Battlefield 4 (punkbuster) kicks me off! I do not hack or even know how to hack! I am becoming way pissed! This was a very expensive game and really enjoy playing it. This stupid Punkbuster shit had ruined all chances of me playing this great game. Please help!

6. w1p30ut3r
    November 27th, 2013 at 7:45 am

I was happy with battlefield 4, now, the entire game has GONNE on my Origin account, and I payd for it, and the problem was exactly that! The Origin deleted my game because I’m a inoccent hacker… WTF?! Thats why I will never buy a original game anymore…

7. NickC
    December 18th, 2013 at 9:03 pm

#81518 banwave is rolling for 3 weeks now, it was proven that CheatEngine 6.3 (cheatengine.org) is the cause of these bans, Evenbalance has gone full retard this time. FYI: CE is an open-source utility known since BF2 days. So after 10 years EB decided to ban players for having it to “cover” their 89265 screw-up.

8. MattO
    June 20th, 2014 at 11:20 pm

…….”give the players the benefit of the doubt”…….Well I’m one of those players. Had my name dragged through the mud and other foul substances by punkbuster. And instead of fixing their program, they just continue on like all is well and forgiven. Well it’s not. And I know they dont care, but here again tonight, they shit the bed yet again. code #81568, over 268 people banned in the ast 24 hours and quickly counting, like what the hell? I personally think PunkBuster is a damn joke. It’s early century technology that they keep “improving” or so they say, when really they are just doing is just trying to keep a dying cow alive and milk her for every thing she’s worth. I’ve said it since the bf3 beta. EA would be much better off to just ditch punkbuster all together. Extremely poor customer service, they are constantly argumentative, and that’s when or better yet “if” they even reply.
    Poorly portrayed company on every level.
    You can call this bashing, you can call it what you will.
    But I call it fact from personal experience. They have a poorly functioning program and an even worse customer support. Avoid all games with PunkBuster at all cost’s. Will save big in the long run.