New Battlefield 4 patch brings lag issues: report

According to reports, the latest BF4 patch has resulted in lag spikes for PC gamers.

Battlefield 4 lag

DICE has been updating Battlefield 4 extensively lately, with several PC and console patches released in December. Each of the last two weeks has seen a Battlefield 4 patch released on the PC, fixing numerous performance and stability issues.

However, according to reports from gamers and Battlefield 4 server owners, the latest patch might have brought some problems with it as well.

The latest PC patch, released on December 20, has fixed some of the most common crashes on the PC, but it has apparently resulted in lag and lag spikes when playing. It’s unknown if this is the issue with the client patch or the latest server patch as well.

DICE has released over a dozen Battlefield 4 server patches since launch, and we’ve experienced a similar situation back in November, where a new server patch caused problems for players.

Reports from the official forums and on the Internet reveal a spike in reports about lag in the game, which seems to be occurring randomly, regardless of what server players are on. Some players have also reported of massive FPS drops on 64-player servers since the latest update.

While Battlefield 4 is still facing technical problems, there’s no denying that the game is much better now than it was back at launch. DICE is working on a new round of patches which should be released shortly after January 1st.

1. Adam
    December 28th, 2013 at 11:24 am

Instead of releasing patches at random times, why doesn’t DICE release patches every two weeks and make sure everything is in order?

• mohammad
      December 28th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

by release the patches in 2 weeks they won’t have enough time to see the good & the bad results of them in another way the game will be destroyed but even with long random time release between patches they don’t have enough time or doing enough testing .

December 28th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The 20+ snipers on every server now make this game less and less desirable to play much any more. Seems alot worse than BF3 ever was.

• Drew J
      December 28th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

That’s because of all the COD players. It’s a fact that Ghosts is the least popular COD game since MW3,and where did all those players go? BF4.

• ViKrieg
        December 28th, 2013 at 8:55 pm

That’s a shame, because I find Ghosts to be one of my favorite Call of Duty’s out there.
        It’s in my list of Call of Duty 1, 2, 4, MW2, and Black Ops 1 as a favorite of mine.
        It’s a hell of a lot better than MW3, which is one of the worst Call of Duty games EVER made.
        It should be MUCH more poplular than MW3 in that regards.

3. Baron Pietro Caltrano
    December 28th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Massive lag on my Xbox One as well my PC since the recent patches annoying

4. Squaby
    December 28th, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I have neen having this issue on the xbox one ever since i got the game.

Smyone else have these issues?

5. Drew J
    December 28th, 2013 at 6:52 pm

BOHICA :P

• Haha!
      December 29th, 2013 at 6:19 am

Haha! Liked. I never know this one! :) Noted!

• Haha!
        December 29th, 2013 at 6:20 am

Never knew heh!

6. Name
    December 28th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Just tried logging into and it’s the first time where I can’t play in a server.
    For one, it makes the repeated bgm sound during the loading screen(which already takes like 5-10 min to go into a server). I tried going to test range and it lags from 2-45 fps on MEDIUM. Horrible fps drops! This is ridiculous and the first time I actually can’t play bf4. My body is ready for the patch on the 1st!

• Jake
      January 6th, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Which GPU do you have?

7. Toaster
    December 29th, 2013 at 4:13 am

Yes me too , can never get into servers and I have bt infinity two so pretty good internet. Keeps saying disconnected from ea servers and then after ten attempts ( if I’m lucky ) il get into a game although not the game I asked for I.e conquest and get air superiority ??? Daft as a brush or what. Growing tired now bought the x one just for this game and it’s awful but with such great potential.

Also on another note it would be nice to have seperate dlc maps only ( china rising section , second assault section ) as it’s impossible to get into one of the new maps .

And last but not least why would we pay for premium when we are not getting our money’s worth ?? I along with the majority will wait and maybe never will. Hint EA … Don’t rush the next one learn from your constant mistakes and awful decisions surely it can’t be fun to be a laughing stock.

8. Nexrad
    December 29th, 2013 at 7:04 am

No it has not. I have been playing for a while since this new patch has been out and I have had 0 lag. Also I always crashed on Siege of Shanghi and I dont crash anymore. And any crashes in between rounds are completely gone. I am 100% crash free right now.

Thanks DICE

9. mraga
    December 29th, 2013 at 11:33 am

How about EA releases fully functionally game instead fixing bugs? That is how they treat customers – like bagful of sh*t.

10. Klyfax
    December 29th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Got from Ultra settings with over 60 fps, to 70 fps on medium after dec 20 update.
    I can play anything else with the best quality there is, but BF4 is medium.
    FIX THE GAME.

• jesus
      December 31st, 2013 at 4:38 am

wow man, you sound like an entitled little shit.

• Giveitarest
        January 1st, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Give it a rest.

This game is a buggy, half-assed piece of shit. DICE couldn’t put together a working game to save their lives. I ran into the same bullshit waaay back in the day on BF2 for PC.

Everyone is entitled to a WORKING GAME from day 1. It was not delivered. BF4 is fair game for every complaint people can muster. Anything to pile drive those lazy, inept jackasses into doing a decent job for once.

11. JWT
    December 29th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Nothing but system issues since installing it. Intermittent system lockups. Suspect downloads flagged by anti-virus software. Mouse displays all sorts of different pointers at random, and then it stops responding for a few seconds regardless of what I am doing on my PC. I restored my PC to the day before I installed this game and all of the issues disappeared.

12. YASUKUNI
    December 29th, 2013 at 5:52 pm

DICE should work hard!

13. Yadier
    December 29th, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Fix ps3 loading issue, im still taking forever to load after a round or 2

14. tbone_12
    December 29th, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I dont know if it s a top priority right now but Ireallly want the campaign fixed so I can platinum it already

15. Jay
    December 29th, 2013 at 11:59 pm

99% problem free for me. Several solid days play, through December.
    The only complaint is 3 recent lag spikes in a single match.
    I’m actually quite surprised by how good it’s running on my new PC, considering all the bad comments i read prior.

GPU 790, i5, ssd, fresh install windows 8.

Like a dream it runs

16. Boldi
    December 30th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Hi guys !
    I think that my system is better than the requiered but i have laggs all the time !
    I cant play with the game!
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3 GHz
    Nvidia Geforce gts 250
    2×2 GB RAM (only 3,25 useable idk why)
    win 7 64 bit
    And i can play the single in ULTRA but multi is unplayable in LOW

• Duke9192
      December 30th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Bold I, that setup May meet minimum requirements, but is not capable of ultra settings. Be sure to restart the game after changing your settings to low. No anti aliasing either, though you could try aa post.hope this helps

17. Boldi
    December 30th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Oh forgot !
    Nvidia Geforce gts 250 1 GB

18. Terminatah-X
    December 31st, 2013 at 7:48 am

The game actually worked better for men When it came out. Lately, I’ve had problems everyday connecting to a server or EA Online. I’ve also notice my fps plummeting even more now in large multiplayer sessions. I run dual 780ti SCs and would rarely see an fps drop below 100. Now, I’m getting fps drops as low as 80.

It’s really a shame as BF4 has so much potential. But EA’s greed and poor product management has, once again, tarnished one of their best games.

• jerramie
      January 4th, 2014 at 4:19 am

lmao esp since max framerate on MOST monitors is 60.. anything higher is… pretty much moot unless you ahve 120hz monitor

19. Fixitfixit
    January 2nd, 2014 at 4:59 am

1st jan no patch 2nd jan no patch i aint got a very good pc but good enough to run games like arma 3 planetside 2 and jc2mp on decent settings with good fps bout 40-50 but on bf4( which is a much smaller game than planetside and arma) i run 30 on low with random frame drops. Cause me to die when i shouldnt have and makes the game unenjoyable, ea and dice fix it pls the game only has a lifespan of like 2-2.5 years so fix it quick

20. Mark
    January 4th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Went from 40 fps on ultra at 6085×1080 to 29. Patch also blew apart the PS4 version. Sad that I spent so much loot to get a dildo forced up my butt. Its the only game I own for PS4 so it makes the console useless. As a BF player who owns every BF game and expansion back to the Secrecy Weapons of WW2… Its rough to get treated so poorly by EA.

21. Hews
    January 5th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I can’t even join a multiplayer game since the last patch. Apparently, there are no servers

22. MisterT0509
    January 5th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

January 5th I cannot even get into the test range let alone any of the servers. This really sucks!!!

23. Jake
    January 6th, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I just started playing BF4 that I got for Christmas on my PS4. I went straight for single player (since I prefer beating single player before starting multiplayer) and I didn’t have any issues… until trying to reach Old Town in the campaign. Crashed 3 times in a row when I try to pass under the archway, and some people suggested that I delete the save data. So I did. Then I replay all the campaign up to the point that it previously crashed…. and it crashed again. Really disappointed with BF4, even though I love the franchise. I will not bother becoming more frustrated by playing multiplayer. I am just going to let this game gather dust on my shelf until DICE gets their act together with this one. If I could return it, I would, because it is useless to me as it is right now.

• Ethan WILKINS
      February 1st, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Same thing with me buddie I got past that part but I got stuck in a cheackpoint glitch (would die and revert to checkpoint at the moment I die) so I restart the mission and this shit happens. My advice would be to return the game immediately cause its worse on multiplayer

24. Carl
    January 7th, 2014 at 4:26 am

I’m playing on pc. I’m expericing sound issues while in vehicles.
    I can’t hear lock on’s from heatseakers and the sound from the vehicle itself!
    If anyone know a solution it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

25. kriegsie
    January 7th, 2014 at 7:00 am

have to laugh dice puts double xp weekend again on the 3rd still doesn’t work hardly any hardcore servers running core servers are laggie rubbish shoot people with tank rounds and still alive your game is dying along with cods ghosts.hopefully titanfall will live up to the hype and give you a wake up call. need another decent fps to challenge cod and bfield when rubbish like those two let downs boasting about new stuff in there games is just the same old stuff every year

26. zeronemore
    January 9th, 2014 at 8:03 am

Really frustrated with bf4 @moment with lag and server issue’s. The game is buggy as help and why soldiers survive a round of sabot tank shell is absolute rubbish. If I talked of all the in-game issues from bf4 it would take me allday to point them all out. This game is not finished! Dice EA don’t sell products that are not complete you Aholes!

27. MikeeD
    January 23rd, 2014 at 3:41 am

I bought BF4 after hearing they patched the PS4 version (post-patch Jan 3rd) & I’ve nearly lost my voice shouting at the amount of BS I go through…
    First I got major rubber-banding and lag which I tried to take no notice of but as soon as I started to get killed with one or two bullets with assault rifles I really started to get pissed off. I even saw the enemy before they saw me yet my full magazine unloaded in them did nothing
    It just bought back my old nightmare of playing ANY new CoD release again which I stopped buying as they (IW & TREYARCH) never fixed any previous CoD’s.
    I’m sick to death of these developers releasing broken games, I blame EA as they told Dice ‘its a must’ to get BF4 released with new consoles, I would really like to get my hands around one of their necks and let them feel the squeeze of my anger at the fact of ripping people off, I suffered years of ‘oh but this one is different’ BS from CoD devs just to be faced with the same crap over & over. Thank God someone has finally sued a company over a broken game, I wonder why it never happened to Infinity Ward & Treyarch ?

28. DutchGuerrilla
    February 3rd, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Im still experience lag on conguest large games..am I the only one…?When do they fix this…ps4. I love the bf games, but this is sucks. I am kicked out also this evening with a ps error code :(

29. Matthew
    March 1st, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Multiplayer still lags to the point of me not playing for weeks at a time. And my campaign (which I actually enjoyed) is also completely broken. The progress resets and I lose all my collectables. I was so excited to play BF4 and this is what I get. Ridiculous.

30. Brian S
    March 29th, 2014 at 2:48 pm

BF4 on my xbox one consistently lags and hiccups and all kinds of other glitches, it’s amazing. You would think they would do a better job on these performance and game play issues. What a waste of a great game. Ever sense I bought the da#n thing it’s had nothing but issues. So I pick the game back up every so often and low and behold, same issues. I’m starting to think it will never be fixed… Can’t even play the new Naval Dec because it lags so da#n bad. It’s rediculous, how hard can it be to fix the thing already!

31. Brian S
    March 29th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

They always over exaggerate how awesome these new games are going to be. All they care about it taking your money, they could care a less about the issues. The thing is they know people won’t really know how the game will be until they buy it. Bam got your money! Every new game coming out or that will come out apparently will be awesome and better than the last… Bunch of bull 5hit lies. Cod ghost is the worst ever, and now BF4 is following in their footsteps. Make a game real fast and say it will be amazing, then take everyone’s money, job well done. I’m considering just taking my xbox and throwing it out the window, because it’s a waste of my time and money.