EA shares tumble on Battlefield 4 announcement

EA shares took a tumble on wall Street after the company admitted to BF4 problems.

EA DICE Battlefield 4Battlefield 4 is supposed to be EA’s cash cow this year, but the game is off to a rough start, to put it mildly. Battlefield 4 has been plagued by so many issues, many players have given up on the game for now. We know several who even got a refund for the game.

Yesterday, EA publicly acknowledged the problems Battlefield 4 is facing, and said that all other projects at DICE are now on hold until BF4 is fixed. Wall Street didn’t like that at all, which resulted in EA’s shares dropping almost 7% yesterday.

EA’s announcement was bad news for investors, who were hoping that most of the DICE team had moved on to make the Battlefield 4 expansions and other projects by now — projects such as Mirror’s Edge 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 3.

DICE is one of the biggest and most talented studio EA owns, and the Battlefield franchise has grown into one of EA’s most lucrative ones. The previous game in the series, BF3, sold over 15 million copies. Additionally, EA sold over 5 million BF3 Premium subscriptions. Overall, it’s estimated that BF3 earned EA over $1 billion overs its lifetime.

Luckily for EA, it looks like it was just fear that drove the stock price down yesterday. So far today, the stock is up over 5%.

TAGS: ,

1. mike
    December 6th, 2013 at 10:13 am

still crashing for other people?lols
    yes i have crashed a couple times but most likely it was the shitty server I was playing on. game is playable. i have played 55 hours

• larry
      December 6th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Mike you are so cool. Can you come to my house and rub my PC/Console for good luck so I can be like you?

The Battlelog forums are full of complaints on all platforms about issues. This has been since day one.

I have played just over 40 hours according to battlelog. In reality I bet that’s 50 but the other 10 were lost when the game crashed near the end of the round. A good 10-20 of those 40 hours are are lagtastic servers with no sound.

The game shipped in Alpha stage. After over 12 server side patches and who knows how many client side patches its now in Beta. Maybe by March it will be RTM

• COOLJT89
      December 6th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Really only 55 hours? I’m up over 190 hours of plagued game time, let’s be honest a broken BF4 is still better than COD Ghosts, those are my options for FPS on PS4, unless you are counting Killzone, which has a great Campaign but the MP isn’t playable. Matter of fact, if you think BF4 isn’t playable try to find a match on Killzone in which you mildly enjoy.

I stick by the fact that it was nowhere near the final stages when the game released, but somehow I have managed to enjoy the game, or enjoy raging at the game when it doesn’t work. Regardless it has me wasting my life away on it 🙂

• Tyrane
        December 7th, 2013 at 12:40 pm

190 hours? Do you have a job? A wife, kids, friends? i know you like the game but we put life first and play video games in spare time unless you are a game dev or producer or whatever like that.

So to sum it all up, Get A Life.

2. ASG
    December 6th, 2013 at 10:36 am

This is what happens when cash hungry EA pushes the release.

December 6th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Ugh how can you even play this on console and on PS4 its at 900p just suck. Game on PC or not at all.

4. Bockbar
    December 6th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

BF4 launch in a nutshell – EA’s reaction
    Battlefield 4 Angry Rant!

5. Tyrane
    December 7th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I’ve seen some pretty ignorant PC elitist comments but I thing you just broke the record for ignorance.