New Battlefield 4 patch for PC released

New PC patch fixes several issues and improves on netcode as well.

Battlefield 4 patch

DICE has been very busy rolling out Battlefield 4 patches across all platforms over the past few weeks. Since EA decided to halt all future games at DICE and have the whole studio focused on fixing their game, there have been half a dozen patches in December alone, in addition to numerous server patches as well.

Just last week DICE released a PC patch, and today, they have another Battlefield 4 patch waiting for players. The almost 900 MB large patch fixes a bunch of bugs and improves on the netcode.

Among the updates is a fix for a sound-loop bug that would force the game to freeze. Another important update is a fix for the graphical flickering that many players have experienced in Battlefield 4. Finally, there is also a fix for players who got stuck in the revive screen — something the Operation Locker horde will appreciate.

Here are the full patch details:

-Fix for a crash that would cause the game to stall, resulting in a sound loop. This should eliminate most of the problems relating to this.
-Fix for the SUAV (introduced in the China Rising expansion pack) not exploding when hitting enemy soldiers. While these indeed should be deadly, they were never designed for “roadkilling” opponents.
-Fix for an issue where 4x the damage from a vehicle’s minigun would be applied to the chest when a player had the Defense specialization equipped.
-Fix for player tags not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members.
-Fix for graphical flickering appearing on terrain.
-Fixed the instance where players suddenly would transition into Spectator Mode while playing the Defuse game mode.
-Fix for a Defuse bug where none of the teams would win a round by letting the timer run out.
-Fix for players getting stuck in the revive screen after being killed.
-Fix for players getting stuck in the kill camera after being revived.
-Fix for the game mode specific ribbons being counted twice in the multiplayer progression.
-Made NVidia 331.82 or later driver versions mandatory for all players.
-Disabled DirectX 11.1 on NVidia cards that have outdated drivers.
-Fixed driver version not being properly detected on NVidia Optimus systems.
-Fixed a minor crash that could occur when bringing up the scoreboard.

The patch is available now for all PC players. It’s likely that these updates will be applied in future console patches as well.

1. Ghimessy
    December 16th, 2013 at 9:53 am

It got worse with this new patch(more bugs) + death animation

2. oueeep
    December 16th, 2013 at 10:01 am

It’s seems that the game is ready to begin de alpha phase now. LOOOOLLLL.

3. larry
    December 16th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Almost daily PC patches, must be nice.

• quads
      December 17th, 2013 at 3:18 am

Almost daily PC patches, must be Dice.

• Carlos
        December 21st, 2013 at 12:13 pm

WIN

• steve
      December 17th, 2013 at 9:45 am

Daily? You mean once a week at the most

4. Numpty
    December 16th, 2013 at 10:39 am

Fix for graphical flickering appearing on terrain… No!
    Yesterday i installed another GTX760 and the joy of everything running along smoothly in Sli was beyond belief. Today’s patch has made the flickering (that i did not have before) quite evident and rendered several maps unplayable, unless you like strobing lights and out of focus enemies…?
    Reverting back to one single 760 corrects this problem, either card works perfectly. Sli them and you are buggered.
    C’mon guys and gals at Dice, this is getting tiresome now…
    EA.. I hope you learn’t a lesson here? Fingers burnt with shareholders..
    Listen to the people who buy the games… Not the corporate backers.
    Ask yourselves this. After the total cockups we made of releasing unfinished games, what do the public who pay for it think of us?
    Not a lot, would be the answer.

• Assassin2003
      December 16th, 2013 at 11:04 pm

The graphical flickering happens on PS4 to. It is really annoying and I thought it was my TV.

5. duke9192
    December 16th, 2013 at 10:48 am

the flickering is insane now. sli 660ti’s, 3770k. I noticed it a little before the patch, but only with very distant objects. now, it’s large textures near and far. disappointed to say the least

6. killerboye
    December 16th, 2013 at 11:12 am

Good to see another fix 🙂 I got the soundloop crash many times, so it’s good it’s fixed now, also I am still waiting that they are going to fix the hitmarkers/crosshair disappearing.

7. Ivanbogovic
    December 16th, 2013 at 11:45 am

It is worse than before with this new patch.

8. Mareck
    December 16th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Too bad a new bug was introduced where the game basically becomes unplayable if you are using crossfire or sli with two video cards.

9. Dave
    December 16th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

It is worse… wtf is this death animation. I see the enemy and i instantly die.

10. blues
    December 16th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

2 decent cards in Crossfire and I get this flicker that might induce a seizure. The video is horrible. You can watch the landscape ’tile’ itself in ’20 feet’ in front of you – and it tiles in very slowly. Yesterday it was fine.

December 16th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Now they just need to limit one sniper per side, not 25+ and I die every 2 seconds from these spawn camping hillside losers.

• Arithon
      December 17th, 2013 at 3:13 am

This is a result of “Official” servers.

Basically all admin functions are disabled, so admins cannot kick, move or even put up YELL messages. Which totally sucks.
      If you drop your server to “ranked” where you have limited admin control, DICE won’t pass any quick-join requests to your server.

So basically you are given a choice of empty server, or server full of abusive, base-raping campers with unbalanced teams.

EA/DICE need a SERIOUS rethink on this policy and a total revisit of their “FairPlay” autobalancer, which isn’t and doesn’t.

12. krokro
    December 16th, 2013 at 7:04 pm

No more flickering on my side, until now.

13. Erin K
    December 16th, 2013 at 8:45 pm

No more sound loop crash! Thank you DICE!!!!!!!!!! Faith restored!

14. Individual
    December 16th, 2013 at 8:59 pm

what is the big problem of getting things through quality control before they release a patch to millions of players?

there should be a QC department in dice’s building, right now it seems it’s non-existent.

• warghostmon
      December 17th, 2013 at 3:52 pm

not in DICE; it should be in EA. they made the push for the launch date.they swept through QC to beat COD. that’s why DICE is fixing all this stuff now.

15. whatever
    December 16th, 2013 at 11:06 pm

What features does driver 331.82 bring to the table for DICE to make it ‘mandatory’ anyway?

16. Assassin2003
    December 16th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

16 server updates, 5 patches on all platforms each. LOL Just think we have not had one balance patch yet. This is a very sad launch.

DICE I imagine will be singing a very different tune on next BF. Maybe scrap the single player idea and the beating COD idea and we will get a masterpiece BF we deserve.

I am playing on PS4 guys and we have the same problems as PC version. Graphics flickering, Netcode, Crashes and much more.

• madness
      December 17th, 2013 at 12:21 am

No, this will continue for years to come unless we teach EA a lesson.

If there is no opposition, we will see another shit flinging fight in two years with the next BF.

17. Gazzaw
    December 17th, 2013 at 12:32 am

Im running 2 Nvidia gti560ti’s and as of the latest “fix” the game flickers so badly it is basically broken and unplayable. How did this get through Q/A?
    1/ The patch was not tested on dual card setups— Not acceptable
    or
    2/They did test it on dual cards and released the patch in spite of the massive problem that is apparent as soon as you join a game–Not acceptable.
    I have loved this game since BC2 but Im just about over it. This launch has been a farce! No way will I preorder BF5. I might purchase it a few months after launch, it will be cheaper and stable.
    I have lost confidence in DICE’s ability to deliver a stable game.
    And shame on EA for forcing DICE to release an unfinished product.

• you there
      December 18th, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Why are you talking about BF5? It better be a good 5-6 years before that happens.

18. Tiezzynator
    December 17th, 2013 at 7:25 am

FOR ME the game works better now. I get more FPS with my GTX 580. And okay there are some problems but above all it works better now FOR ME.

19. ^
    December 17th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Another disgruntled PS4 player…..

20. Fidius
    December 17th, 2013 at 8:43 am

The game works good for me and I can play shanghai with no issues all in all a great patch for me I have not crashed once for almost 2 days and since the previous patch not alot of problems ….so a result

21. Antykain
    December 17th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Well, at least the patch broke more things for DICE to fix. Like, SLI flickering.. wtf! Nice…

22. Lucid_Games
    December 17th, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Best thing DICE can do for itself? Buy itself back from EA and do this on their own. EA’s been nothing but a huge pain in the ass for the community as they seem to regularly get in the way of DICE’s products and rush half assed through QA, that is if they even decide to do QA. DICE would be a much more respected company if they parted ways with EA. EA shouldn’t have put them in this position to begin with. You have one of the most beloved franchises in Video Gaming history and you decide to rush something out the door to beat COD? REALLY? Who’s the genius over there with that idea? Sad… just fracking sad.

23. KEW
    December 17th, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Previous patch is “little” better than this bug patch. I am sli user, I am like playing in the disco with intense flickering graphic. Bsod all the time. Great job DICE.

24. Stoepid_apie
    December 17th, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I can only play Operation Locker. All other maps crash within 10 minutes of start. So annoying. Sound loop crash still happens for me, just without the sound loop. If that makes sense.

25. Hissi
    December 18th, 2013 at 9:45 am

Updated today the latest 891Mt patch and now my screen started to flicker! No flickr at all before this patch. I am running bf4 with new pc with amdhd7990 card with latest drivers… this last patch was shit!

26. Mark
    December 18th, 2013 at 10:10 am

Works great for me. Worked great before the patch. There have been some minor issues, but nothing game breaking. I’m not saying everybody that’s having problems doesn’t have a legit gripe. But…

How many lines of code does this game have? I couldn’t even venture a guess… but I would say it’s probably a lot more than any of us would care to look at. And it only takes a single zero or one to be incorrect and there is a problem. It’s going to happen.

How much does it cost to keep DICE open for one day? Again… I have no idea, but every day they haven’t launched a game is another day they are paying out and not getting anything back. Same goes for EA. This is a business and while I’m sure they want to have things run perfectly for a variety of reasons (not the least of which is to not have to hear all the whining) they need to make their nut. No nut = no games. No games = even more crying from all the whiners.

SLI giving you trouble? Turn it off till they fix it… JESUS! Play on a lower setting. They’ll get to it and probably get to it faster than most other companies would.

Don’t like it? Then don’t play. The only way to let a company know your dissatisfied is to not pay them money. Don’t buy the next one until you hear it’s perfected.

All that said…

None of the whining here or anywhere means anything. I know none of you have heard of the “100 to 1 rule” because I just made it up. But for every 1 of the whiners that takes the time to be annoying on a message board, there are 100 people who are playing just fine and aren’t on here because they are having fun playing.

I am at work or I would be playing right now too!

27. mydog
    December 18th, 2013 at 10:38 am

I am sli user It is i7 4930 780 It is worse than before with this new patch

28. ShadowFoxx
    December 18th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

still crashing mid game to desktop(home screen) Xbox one patch fail.

29. Vtwin
    December 19th, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I had no flickering or terrain detail issues before the patch, now the game is unplayable in SLI.

30. Gazelle
    December 23rd, 2013 at 11:45 pm

latest patch Dec 23 2013 causes freeze when going through gate in Ismalia-campaign 7?