Battlefield 4 “Mantle” update for AMD graphics cards delayed

DICE wants to fix the game first before moving on to work with new AMD Mantle technology.

Battlefield 4 AMD Mantle

A few months ago, AMD announced “Mantle”, a new graphics API for PC that’s better optimized at gaming than the usual DirectX API on Windows PC. AMD said that Mantle would provide up to 10% better performance to gamers when running on the same hardware.

The very first developer to come on board with Mantle was DICE with Battlefield 4. Back then DICE said that Battlefield 4 would get a Mantle update in “Late 2013”. Since it’s 2014 now, DICE has officially delayed the update. Instead, they are spending all of their resources at fixing bugs and optimizing the game.

While PC gamers with AMD hardware might be a bit bummed out, we’re glad DICE is focusing solely on fixing the game. Battlefield 4 still needs a lot of work (especially on the netcode end), and DICE should — and they are — spending all of their resources on fixing the game at the moment.

Last week we reported how the new Battlefield 4 patch brought some lag issues with it — something that has affected a lot of gamers playing on the PC.

AMD is EA’s biggest partner when it comes to Battlefield 4 — the CPU and GPU maker reportedly paid EA $8 million for Battlefield 4 marketing rights.

TAGS:

1. The Lag is not just on PC
    January 2nd, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I started experiencing horrendous lag and hit detection that becomes precipitously worse, (while playing on PS3) when the latest Patch was released in December.

Before that, my experience was ‘normal’ – the lag and hit detection would degrade over a much longer period of time and even then, less sharply.

2. The Lag is not just on PC^
    January 2nd, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Oh and as a follow up, has anybody on PS3 or XBOX managed to not experience this? If so, how fast is your connection?

3. ScreamFace
    January 2nd, 2014 at 7:28 pm

The issues with BF4 must be way deeper than we even know.

I wish they’d just be honest and let us know, instead of the pretense that it’s just minor stuff that could be fixed any day.

• Razvan Dinculescu
      January 3rd, 2014 at 3:12 am

I could not agree more – I’m a developer myself and I know how these things work …

4. Steve
    January 2nd, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Whilst a bit sad about it being delayed, I have no problems with the performance from my 270x so can wait until there are less bugs. Does mantle bring anything other than more speed?

5. Cristiano
    January 3rd, 2014 at 7:05 am

I bought bf4 2 dayz ago and i cant play multiplayer e go to join a server and the when loading the map says. ERROR, Game disconnected: client closed down connection. but sometimes whit many tryes to enter in sv e play but when i left it to dinner or eat something i try enter again and: Game disconnected: client closed down connection. please dice help us

6. Cristiano
    January 3rd, 2014 at 7:09 am

And that i said of my crash appened to me again today more than 10 times, i see very much posts of people whit this crash. and much people sai i enter allways in the servers and after 5 seconds game freeze and crashed.

7. The LAG is not just on PC^^
    January 3rd, 2014 at 8:04 am

I have not lag on PS3, but it crash (too many time).

8. The LAG is not just on PC^^
    January 3rd, 2014 at 8:04 am

I forgot to say, 7MB internet connection.

9. Drew S
    January 3rd, 2014 at 9:45 am

What the problem is is the tick rate for BF4. CS:GO’s tick is 120, while BF4’s is ONLY 10. This will probably never increase, because I’m sure Dice would like to keep things like bullet drop and destruction in the game. So, the sad truth is that the net-code for BF4 isn’t going anywhere, ever.

• krokro
      January 3rd, 2014 at 11:50 am

It is almost the same in bf3, right ? It could be improved then, let’s wait (again).