Battlefield 4 patch released, includes fixes and gameplay tweaks

DICE has released a brand new PC patch, which adds several stability improvements and some gameplay tweaks.

Battlefield 4 patch

DICE has released the very first Battlefield 4 patch of 2014 for the PC. The patch is a moderate one, mainly dealing with game fixes, and adds a few gameplay tweaks as well.

The new patch, released today on the PC only, adds stability improvements, and fixes some memory leak issues as well. The patch also fixes the sound loop bug that has been plaguing the game since day one.

The gameplay tweaks are quite limited, and only concern the jets in the game. The main cannon has increased damage by 25%, and the stealth and attack jets have been evened out in their handling.

You can find the full Battlefield 4 patch notes below. In addition to the PC patch, DICE has also released the new R18 server patch, which adds some crash fixes and enables live scoreboards on all servers.

Battlefield 4 patch notes (Jan 14)

• Various fixes for improving general stability
  • Fixed a memory leak issue occurring after level shutdowns, which could result in a out-of-memory crash in longer play sessions
  • Additional fix for the “sound loop” deadlock when running High/Ultra graphics settings
  • Added a warning for using Legacy AMD drivers that were out of date
  • Fixed a player feedback timing issue where blood was appearing before other damage indicators, and before damage was actually done
  • Fixed a bug where players’ rank icons on the scoreboard would not be updated
  • Fix for Asian users unable to start Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 on Windows 8.1
  • Normalized repair rates across all vehicles.
  • Fixed problem with killer health in kill card not being correctly updated (showing 100% health even though the soldier was hurt)
  • Fix for friendly marker not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members
  • Fixed a bug where a Main Battle Tank Coaxial HMG ammo box was occasionally blocking the driver’s camera
  • Increased damage by 25% for the Stealth Jet 20mm cannons.
  • Stealth Jets now have more similar handling attributes to each other. F35 & J-20 are slightly more agile, Su-50 is less agile.
  • Attack Jets now have more similar handling attributes to each other, and all 3 are now slightly less agile than earlier
  • Fixed camera glitch when switching weapons while moving in crouch
  • Fixed an occasional bug where players could experience intermittent engine sound dropouts when driving wheeled IFVs
  • Fix for player spawning under the map when deploying on Lancang Dam
  • Fixed flickering in map and minimap on Rogue Transmission and Operation Locker

1. Tn0rr1s
    January 13th, 2014 at 8:45 am

Better than nothing I guess right. All I know is that I’m jonesing for second assault.

2. Alpha_Mongoose
    January 13th, 2014 at 9:09 am

I’m thinking “nothing” is better than this shit. I’m with you on the DLC

3. Doc
    January 13th, 2014 at 9:25 am

do yall think the new metro is to…well small for 64 players?..it was my fav map on bf3 but now..im saddened that I cant even play it anymore due that the map is the same size..but with a lot more people..i just cant play it anymore..

• Up
      January 13th, 2014 at 11:57 am

Welcome to what PC users had in BF3! It was a pure grenade/rpg/m320/spas12 fest. Was a very quick way of ranking up mind.

I’m sure they are adding a few extra corridors/access into it.

• Name
      January 13th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

A lot more people? Battlefield 3 had 64 players as well… were you on last gen consoles? If so, then no 64 is never enough.

• SamSafari
      January 14th, 2014 at 3:55 pm

The entire back outside area that was once out of bounds has now been added into the full map making it a bit bigger

4. iTs Me mR bYRd
    January 13th, 2014 at 10:45 am

WOW First ppl say fix the game. now ppl cracking on no SA DLC…
    HAHA DICE cant please every1. Id rather have stability but I’m not premium so no complaints here

• krokro
      January 13th, 2014 at 6:12 pm

So true.

• ScreamFace
      January 13th, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Well the SA DLC should be finished. It’s on one platform, we have seen it up and running on PC for a while now.

We bought premium expecting to have had it by now. Or at least very soon. Except it’s now in a void of not knowing when it’ll be released.

Clearly what they’ve done is, had to take people off working on the future DLC to fix the game. Which for most of them is actually just testing the game as level designers aren’t involved in the code. So they’re pushing back the SA DLC release only to lessen the gap between it and the following DLC.

People have a right to be pissed. They bought a game, it didn’t work. When they bought the game they also bought additional content which is now being withheld because the game didn’t work.

5. Babel_One
    January 13th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I just heard my nearby teammates congratulate me when I got promoted. I guess that’s new, too.

6. Angry Chicken
    January 13th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

WOW still no network fix? Oh well , i really wanted to love that game like i loved BF3. But since there are still issues like people killing me BEFORE they are around the corner, Instantly killing me, killing me AFTER they died and the server completely ignoring shots that were dead on target, i have little hope left. I might as well just sell my Origin Acc on ebay and never buy an EA Game again. I can’t believe i even bought Premium for this piece of shit game, believing that you would fix it in time. Now months later the game is still broken. Way to go , that was my last EA game!

• Mr. Anonymous
      January 13th, 2014 at 4:41 pm

K, sounds good.

• krokro
        January 13th, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Haha

• HEY!
      January 13th, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Happens to me all the freegin time.

I need to know this:
      Does your lag get worse through continuous play?

🙁

• Miles
      January 13th, 2014 at 10:22 pm

We all know that feeling..

7. GaryBettes
    January 13th, 2014 at 3:14 pm

No Campaign Reset Patch? Disappointing.. How About When Ever I Try To Join Conquest And There’s Always An Error Joining? Or When Ever I Unlock Stuff And Those Orange Triangles Always Appear Over And Over Again. Those There Things Are A Major Priority That Cause Obsessive Annoyance..

• Mainer1
      January 13th, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Like using a capital letter to start every word in a sentence?

8. Doc
    January 13th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I didn’t notice till you pointed that out..hmm

9. ScreamFace
    January 13th, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Jan 14 patch notes.

‘Fix for friendly marker not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members’

from the Dec 16 patch notes

-Fix for player tags not always showing when needed to, resulting in players shooting team members.

• Gazza
      January 13th, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Yep the issue with the friendly has not been fixed at all. The netcode is still crap. I lost 20-30 fps with the previous patch when they fixed the flashing textures (thanks for that DICE). Also there is a bug where using a sight that has night vision reverts back to a normal sight until you die. I couldn’t give a rats arse about second assault until they fix the god damn game.

• Arariel
      January 14th, 2014 at 5:45 am

That is another reason why BF4 is sitting under a pile of games while GTA Online is getting a lot of play time. DICE is incompetent and pathetic.

10. Mark
    January 14th, 2014 at 12:26 am

This whole health kill card issue is ridiculous. I have so much in game footage of when I kill an opponent. Their health bar goes to ZERO and then they kill me and the kill card says my killers health is ZERO. How can they kill me with zero health? Clearly your patch did nothing to address the real issue and now you have added a whole new one. Thank you for making me even more excited for TITANfall than I thought was humanly possible.

11. idreamzy
    January 14th, 2014 at 3:20 am

how long till the servers are back up?

12. Cijoda
    January 14th, 2014 at 4:00 am

Still have a the problem rubberbanding lag

13. wowzers
    January 14th, 2014 at 4:43 am

how long till the servers are back up?

14. scott
    January 14th, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’m just sooooo sick of the lag issues, and now played after the January 14th patch my lag is even worse with 100% connection!!!! Why did I go premium!!!!!!

15. ShortRound
    January 15th, 2014 at 4:28 am

This patch didn’t fix anything…only made it worse like all the patches before it.

16. Driest
    January 15th, 2014 at 11:30 am

Me and my friend are having problem with connecting servers. Game would not start but instead it closes saying “Couldn’t connect to server”. I never had this problem and when I did it was only problem of PunkBuster not being updated during previous games like BF:BC2 and BF3. But with BF4 not even allowing ports on router seem to help. :-/

Some servers work fine some not. But the game is better than it was. Thanks DICE and keep it up.

17. adam
    January 18th, 2014 at 4:02 pm

You haven’t fixed anything. It has frozen up 4 time in a 2 hour period. Fix Ur stuff. I didn’t pay 100 dollars for this cap to always happen

18. cleaner74
    February 1st, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I hve to agree with many coments in this forum. I got so frustrated in the last couple of days since they released the last patch because the netcode issue seems to be even worse now. I can’t win a single firefight doesn’t matter what gun I’m using or wha t skill level I’m shooting at. Situations where I would use a third of a magazine to kill an opponent don’t happen any more. I empty a whole magazine in the other guy with majority of my bullets not getting a hit marker (and that’s for short to medium range) and eventually I end up dead and in the kill cam I see that the other guy is running around with zero health.