“Ask DICE” has pathetic softball questions on Battlefield 4

Developer DICE avoids the issues and answers some questions that could have been written by its PR team.

DICE Battlefield 4 questions

DICE recently released an entry in their “Ask DICE” post, where gameplay developer Alan Kertz answers some of the questions that Battlefield 4 players sent in. But the way it reads, the questions might as well have been written by DICE’s own PR team.

In reality, it’s a bunch of softball questions — easy to answer, obvious questions that make them look good. The questions — apparently selected from over 200 pages of player questions — are so lame that the whole article is painful to read. Almost as if it was written by the PR staff at DICE.

Consider the first question: “Balancing Battlefield 4 must be challenging, what is your ideal vision for the game’s multiplayer?” Yes, we’re sure that all those gamers who are upset about Battlefield 4 and its numerous bugs and glitches are wondering about the “ideal vision”.

Another supposed question from players is “Why were smart weapons added to Battlefield 4?”, and the answer, if anyone is wondering, is “Battlefield 4 is a game set in the modern warscape, and in order to properly convey that we included smart weapons“. Gee whiz, we had no idea!

The whole post has absolutely nothing interesting or new to the average Battlefield 4 player. While it’s great that DICE is trying to reach out to players, this sort of obvious pat-ourselves-on-the-back PR isn’t only useless, it’s annoying and insulting.

Next time, DICE, please answer the serious questions — questions we actually want answered. Don’t talk down to us.

TAGS:

1. Maxime
    February 9th, 2014 at 9:49 am

The answers aren’t that bad. You only gave half of the reply the employee wrote!

2. Vincent Vukovic
    February 9th, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi! What questions did you feel should have been picked but were not?

• Maxime
      February 9th, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Are you from DICE or what? LoL!

• winningsince1337
      February 9th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

What I would like to know is why the G36C does not reflect it’s real life or BF3 counterparts. Mainly the RoF of the gun. I read somewhere that some EA/DICE employee said it’s based off some audio they recorded of it. However, this does NOT match H&K’s specs which also match the bf3 specs. What gives?

• KissSh0t
      February 9th, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Hello Vincent… I have posted lower in this post an issue that is still in the game, a rather silly issue when you think about it.. If you could forward on the bug to those that can do something about it that would be awesome.

3. Ignas
    February 9th, 2014 at 10:13 am

Its looks like Bf4central team has a huge butt hurt, blaming DICE in almost every post. I know there are a lot of problems in this game, but write more positive.

• SouthoftheBear
      February 9th, 2014 at 10:59 am

I agree. bf4central continues to put all the blame on DICE. Really though, what should DICE do, trying to revive a failing game. They’ve fixed many of the major issues and the only problems left are minor stuff. Everyone keeps complaining how DICE should “fix the game,” and then they rant how they want DICE to stop what they’re doing and give everyone a free map pack! This is getting old. DICE is trying their best to stop the issues, but there’s only so much that they can do to satisfy the players. Everyone, including bf4central, needs to chill out and enjoy the game.

• Right...
        February 9th, 2014 at 11:51 am

“…and the only problems left are minor stuff”

– 0% bug
        – 1 hit kill bug hidden behind a headshot icon (not even fixed just masked)
        – bf4.exe back to crashing for some people
        – “unfixable” hitreg, that’s completely fine in other FPS games
        – promised levolution effects edited out of first DLC

Not to mention, maybe you suck ups should go back and watch some of the PR videos from before the game was released. There are a lot of “features” that this newest engine were supposed to provide that have been completely removed. Even with the above items completely fixed and BF4 running perfectly for everyone – there are features that were advertised that you will NOT get.

DICE is not where all the blame lies, the blame for a shotty release goes to EA. But this is almost 4 months later – the problems in the game at this point in time are solely on DICE and their shitty code.

If all that is really “minor” to you, I have a software projects laying around that only have “minor” issues – I’ll gladly sell them to you for $100/piece.

• DutchDinosaur
          February 9th, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Amen to that!

• Bojack
          February 9th, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Whet are some of these features we’re not getting?

• Arithon
          February 10th, 2014 at 12:49 am

You left out that the “commander” feature is broken in order to work with iPads so you cannot move in and out of the role without quitting the game.
          Totally jarring and you have no overview of the battlefield.

The game was launched at a hugely premium price and delivered it in a BETA state.

The game constantly causes memory leaks in the DirectX stack causing a quit to desktop, often needing a reboot to fix the damage. No other game does this. Just BF4.

I don’t want any DLC. I think the whole map monetisation is cynical and destructive. It fractures the community and kills the game.
          The only way this works is that Premium should be gifted to all BF4 players as an apology for the BF4 launch disaster and those that bought it get refunded.
          The whole in their purse would make EA reconsider such an ill-advised rush to market in future and BF4 would recover the player-base.
          Fixing the major bugs too, would help.

• Johnny Neat
          February 10th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thank you for dropping science on the fanboy apologists.

• facebeard
        February 12th, 2014 at 8:35 am

Yeah i would love to chill out and enjoy the game but it crashes consistently.Every week or so i will go on origin to see if the game works but i experience the same crashing phenomenon…last week i tried going on a conquest server and to my surprise, every single one of the servers that i tried to go on wouldn’t allow me to join because it required the dlc map/expansion pack….yet i was just trying to see if i can play a game long enough before the game crashed on me.As far as i know, i am officially done with both EA and Dice and possibly considering the idea of uninstalling origin despite having bf3,bf4,and dead space 3 on that account..I am never buying another EA product and it sucks because i was excited about titan fall but after having to deal with bf3 drm a few years ago with my xbox live account and now this..a broken bf4 game on pc ..I have to say that enough is enough, im officially done with the abuse.

• InSaNeOldGuy
      February 9th, 2014 at 5:37 pm

imo bf4central is just calling out DICE out for all the BS they keep shoveling out the door, like this post by Kurtz. Honestly, we have every right to be pissed off.. The game still isn’t fixed. And if anybody is butt hurt, it should be the gaming community (literally) for having trusted EA/DICE to sell them a working game for $60 plus $60 for Premium. $120

If you purchased a new truck and the engine blew up and the wheels fell off when you drove it off the lot, would you go back into the dealership and say, “You’re doing such a great job; keep it up !” ???

I’ll tell you this straight up… If we bend over and say, “Thank You DICE” then we’ll get more of the same when BF5 drops.

OR we can say, “Fix the game” and “Where the heck is Second Assault ?” and set some boundaries not only for ourselves, but future gamers.

• oddball97
        February 10th, 2014 at 1:30 am

this is a good opinion in my opinion

4. Smithy
    February 9th, 2014 at 11:58 am

Too many are blinded by their fanboyism to see the truth. At least this site has the guts to speak up and call this “Q&A” what it is: lame PR from DICE.

• Asgaro
      February 9th, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I love this site for their critical views on everything Battlefield.

To all the haters:
      Why don’t you go to any other gaming websites? All other websites talk mostly positive about BF4 or don’t report on the issues as frequently.

Thumbs up to this site.

5. Bf fanboy for life omg
    February 9th, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Sooooo I’m torn. I do have fun playing battlefield 4 I’m not going to lie because since I play on the console (xbox 360 and one) I don’t have to worry about getting sent to the dashboard like people on PC. Lag hasn’t been any issue for me at any point. On 360 my worst experience now is dawnbreaker crashing 98% of the time. On xbox one I really really feel the shoddy net code. It’s the same problem most fps games have though. I’ve felt it in several cod games and even a bit in bf3. I want to love this game but when they release something this hollow…. It infuriates me. Wtf dice. Don’t do an ask dice and then make up your own questions. No one cares about those useless questions that have already been addressed. I think they feel the fear and why not when a lot of people are having issues. Personally though I know there are A TON more people who play the game fine than those who don’t. My reasoning? People who have no complaints for the most part won’t be here typing. They’ll be playing the game since for them there’s no issues. Like I said I’m mixed. I love it and dislike it at parts

• krokro
      February 11th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Then it should be the same for all the videogames, or at least the big FPS. This is not the case, bf4 has raised the bug bar very high.
      And if “Lag hasn’t been any issue for me at any point”, then you should aim. 🙂

February 9th, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Too many snipers on every server make this unplayable to me. Waiting on better games coming GTA5 and The Division for PC. Then BF4 will be a rainy day game 6 months from now yet will probably be still buggy. Maybe Bad Company 3 will be better if they even make it.

7. Anonymous
    February 9th, 2014 at 3:50 pm

90% of the “questions” they receive are probably “fix the game”.

8. KissSh0t
    February 9th, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Something I have noticed while flying the J-20 is that the Canards “the front wings”, move opposite to what they should be.

So pulling down and the canards point up.

and pulling up and the canards point down.

This is incorrect.

When you pull up, the front leading edge of the canard should point “UP”

When you pull down, the front leading edge of the canard should point “DOWN”

I’m not sure if this is a known thing or not… of if people have even noticed this as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.. but it needs to be fixed.

9. cody
    February 9th, 2014 at 7:43 pm

sorry ass devs this game sucked ass my game didnt save and i had to do it over and over

10. csreynolds
    February 10th, 2014 at 12:51 am

The community asked thousands of worthwhile questions about netcode, fixes, crashes, features, Commander, design decisions… yet the team picked THESE questions to answer. Like anyone cares why sniper rifles and hand grenades leave smoke trails over why this game is as broken as it is currently.

200+ pages of queries submitted via the BF forums, and he answers seven. Bravo Kertz… *claps*

11. Babel_One
    February 10th, 2014 at 2:58 am

These questions seriously do look like a PR piece and were already prepped beforehand — not actually originating from the users. Next time, they should indicate the author of the question to prove my theory wrong.

Personally, my favorite user-submitted question was “when does beta stops??”. (I think it had the second-highest number of votes/)

12. Andy
    February 10th, 2014 at 2:59 am

Hello guys!
    BF4 Central says it right… What the f***ck questions were answered.
    We have millions of problems with the game and they answered to why maa (mobile anti aircraft) is selected to be on the game?

DICE has become a joke and all of you who don’t admit it are just not loving this game

13. damodl
    February 10th, 2014 at 4:24 am

The game is in a sorry state and has been watered down to appeal to the masses. Both of these reasons are like basically spitting in the face of fonsumers that trusted the brand. However, the watering down/lowering the. Treshold is understandable from a business point of view.

The state it was realeased in and the fact that it is not fixed almost four months later is unexcusable. Add tbis weakly disguised pr move and people have more than enough reasons to be angry.

14. Andy
    February 10th, 2014 at 4:39 am

THAT!!!

Well said man

15. Pklemy
    February 10th, 2014 at 6:20 am

Dice may or may not be trying to ‘fix’ the game but the main issue I have with this is that they know there are issues and they setup this Ask DICE, but instead of using it for the BF4 community it was just crappy PR. They must have known there would be some backlash. Whoever decided this was a good move needs to be sacked. If you want to build trust, be honest and address the issues that the people are facing, we are the ones paying all your wages!

16. Pklemy
    February 10th, 2014 at 6:22 am

I don’t want to point fingers, I don’t care who has the issues, I just want to enjoy the game so just get the fixes out there.

17. deadie
    February 10th, 2014 at 7:20 am

As i am a swede i was extremely proud over DICE after BF3. I thought they did a great job with the game, gamers and the whole community.

Now i bow my head in shame of how they treat gamers who supported BF4 & gave them their money without ANY hesitation. I myself was one of them.
    What the hell happened – and why are they so silent about the whole thing?

I thought we swedes had some dignity at least.

Apparently not. :I

• z. little
      February 12th, 2014 at 3:30 am

Swedes have wonderfull dignity, and DICE Swedes have a fat wallet to boot.

18. Eins
    February 10th, 2014 at 9:20 am

Look these guys obviously have their PR guys answering these.. do you think their programmers and tech folks are gonna answer these?
    They’ve got boatloads of issues to track and resolve and not surprised they do not have time to field these softball questions..
    BOATLOADS.. this game is still not stable.. I crashed several times this weekend..

19. Rich
    February 10th, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Kudos to the Bf Central team for asking the hard questions and saying the things that need to be said. They have been supported of the game in the past, when it merited it, and even gave EA a pass for a good whiles to fix BF4. But eventually enough was enough.

EA is a very powerful companies and has many, many drones who will spout the official party line. its nice to know that someone is independent and cant be “bought” or intimidated into Lieing about this game too.

The BF4 forum is full of drones shilling for the company, for whatever reason. Some probably just like this POS ; Others I wonder.

I myself dont think this game is ever going to be fixed and Ive quit playing it. But I hope BFC keeps telling the truth. If the truth is AE gets its act together then so be it. Right now they still havnt and dont deserve good press from anyone.

20. Fenway
    February 10th, 2014 at 2:23 pm

My two cents:

Look, EA does not care what gamers have to say. They care about shareholders.

They made great money last year and this was despite the Sims and BF4 release snafus (currently $26/share, expected to go to $30).

So, they make BF5 a polce-themed release and 70% of gamers put out some cash. They still make money because of hype and a new studio and a new format, etc. Humans can be forgiving and we want our games.

EA may be positioning themselves to be acquired by Google, Microsoft, Sony, Amazon, Netflix… (Amazon just acquired Doouble Helix.)

I just don’t think the CEO of EA really gives a shit about gamers, hell, he’s not supposed to. He’s there for the shareholders and we keep shelling out dough for this stuff.

21. Meggion
    February 10th, 2014 at 2:28 pm

At least 2 valuable points that has been intentionally overlooked by BF4central staff are that MAA and smart weapons are going to be adjusted with the most recent updates.
    There is zero reason to duscuss all the bitter garbage we’ve been hearing for months from so-called “community”. They have clearly made a progress in that regard and continue to do so. I’m more interested in vision behind certain design decision and a road moving forward.

22. firestarter111
    February 10th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

its clear, at this time, only the most noobish and annyoing fanbois are left over in the game (aka forums, battlelog, etc.)… .

everyone still defending has some serious faulty recognition about how a shooter should work. everyone sane has moves on and letz the game die. like i. after 800 hrs bf3 and now over 300hrs bf4. i say its broken to a state where there is no chance of getting it fixed. and this lies deep in the frostbite engine and the next games will suffer the same probs with this coding.

hits clearly not registering, faulty indicators and still one shot kills, and on top of all this the big syncronisation problem. its broken. but i can understand it, that some people playing 2-3hrs per week on a big tv to relax a little do not know what the heck these “haters” are talking about.

they are destroying the franchise. i am curious if its transforming or if its really dying… .

• firestarter111
      February 10th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

btw.

how ea could fix this mess:

give premium for free and appoligise. give the players with primium a 50% discount on origin.

fix this game as good as possible. relaunch the franchise after a solid break with top notch functionality in its core gameplay (aka the fps mechanic).

so that will never happen. excat the opossite. launch next shitty fraud in t- 8 months.

23. Jesse165
    February 10th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

If DICE added an offline mode against bots like what was in BF1942, BFV, BF2, and BF2142 it might have made up for all the netcode issues and other stuff but since they didn’t even add that I can agree that this looks like the worst game of the entire franchise and unless bots are added I am never buying this game!

24. gary
    February 10th, 2014 at 10:45 pm

they are busy working on the BF4 new premium DLC, called flappy bird warfare.
    give them a break guys.

25. Rivie
    February 10th, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Well put. I have not purchased an EA published game in 3 years. Madden 2012 and Bf3 were the last one’s in 2011. Not that EA or Dice give a rat’s ass. Either way I work too hard for my money and will not stand for getting ripped off by these thieves. There are tons of games by other publishers/developers that do not have 1/3 the issue these numbnuts can’t figure out how to fix. Or just will not, now that they got all that pre order and sales money.
    Man up and speak loudly…with your dammed wallets!

26. Number 8
    February 11th, 2014 at 9:34 am

I am posting this here since I was banned from the BF4 forums. I was given no reason for the ban on any of my posts, and can only assume I was banned for continuing to bring up the problems with this game. To DICE/EA, you just lost a loyal customer that has been with you since BF1942. This is the worst game in the series, and one of the most broken games I’ve ever played. The community for this game has become just sad and pathetic.

27. iRocBarDie
    February 14th, 2014 at 11:38 pm

There’s a fine line between attacking a company and criticizing it for promises (and common sense) unkept. Battlefield forums are full of people crying “fix the game.” It is annoying to everyone and doesn’t actually help. They cry because, I think, they not only paid but like (or WOULD like) the game. But without some advice, new info on problems, some output, those cries are as useful as the in game chat most of the time: “noob” “kill urself” “go play cod”

B4central is bringing out valid issues that players experience everyday
    playing the game. I may not agree how they do it or what they focus on some of the time but this is not unwarranted slander.

28. guesswho
    February 16th, 2014 at 5:36 am

“They’ve fixed many of the major issues and the only problems left are minor stuff.”

This is NOT true, I “tried” to play, 5x crashes (freezes) later, i gave up. This game is still not working properly on PC and this is simply NOT acceptable …

29. jimmynumbnutz
    March 24th, 2014 at 4:44 am

Guys i have a great idea there must be some famous people playing bf4.If we could get just a few to say in a youtube video FIX THE GAME NOW i bet they would get things sorted pretty damn quick.Now how do we get this organised?

30. jimmynumbnutz
    March 24th, 2014 at 4:47 am

Still freezing lagging rubber banding and still being shot dead behind cover in bf4 ps4 🙁 and one hit kill is still there 🙁 🙁 🙁