Battlefield 4 Mantle update adds better performance on AMD systems

Independent test result show 7 to 10% performance improvement in singleplayer.

Battlefield 4 mantle

With the latest Battlefield 4 patch on the PC, DICE included the much anticipated Mantle update from AMD (and some other things as well). Mantle is a new API that only runs on AMD graphics cards, and offers developers quicker and better access to the hardware, without the bloated DirectX.

The new Battlefield 4 Mantle update goes live as AMD releases the new Catalyst 14.1 beta drivers. In order to use Mantle, PC owners need a modern AMD graphics card with Graphics Core Next.

As DICE points out in a news post, they designed Mantle to optimize both CPU and GPU performance, and players who are bottlenecked by the CPU should see the biggest performance gains.

DICE published their own benchmark results, which show performance compared to DirectX is anywhere between 14% and 58% faster. However, they used a very strict testing environment and tested only on singleplayer. Since most Battlefield 4 players play multiplayer, it would have been great for some multiplayer benchmarks of the new Battlefield 4 Mantle update.

Tech site AnandTech also did some benchmarks of Battlefield 4 Mantle, and they found that performance was up only about 7 to 10%. They also tested only on singleplayer.

It’s likely that real world results in multiplayer are less than 10%, but 10% is not bad for just a software update. And this is just the first version of Mantle on Battlefield 4. Future updates from DICE and driver updates from AMD could see further performance increases.

1. AndreizEl
    February 3rd, 2014 at 10:41 am

I got huge fps drop from 80-120 to 35fps… it’s kinda annoying, i might go back to 13.1

2. whatever_sa
    February 3rd, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I only play multiplayer and I have found that Mantle gives me much worse performance – there are huge drops now and then as well.

I did not put up with more than 3 minutes of it… it was that bad. Note that the driver is still in Beta so hopefully it will improve.

Asus AMD R9 280x
    Intel I5 3.3Ghz
    8GB RAM

3. Speedy
    February 3rd, 2014 at 12:56 pm

The AMD 14.1 Beta drivers cause my desktop/browser windows to flicker constantly (about 10 mins after boot up). Yes, they are Beta, but not sure how that one got through QC/QA.

Interestingly, while I do get about a 5-10% FPS increase (as well as massive 50% FPS drops every few mins), I noticed that when using Mantle, the BF4 renderer info tells me that I’m utilising 3 (of the 4) cores of my i5-750 (@ 3.15Ghz). When using DX11 it says I’m only using 2. So… is this a true Mantle improvement or am I only seeing the effect of an additional core being utilised. #canttrustDICEthesedaysandperhapsAMDtoo

4. max0x7ba
    February 4th, 2014 at 1:42 am

AMD 14.1 Beta driver only helps R9 290. With anything else Mantle stutters horribly, worse than BF4 beta.

5. JJ
    February 4th, 2014 at 2:01 am

I have had to revert to the previous drivers now. My fps went from an average of around 45fps on ultra (DX11) to about 25fps (Mantle) on multi-player with the added micro stuttering. My game suffered greatly (well, that is how I am telling myself for the poor performance I’ve had on the last bunch of rounds!).

My specs aren’t earth shattering, but from what I’ve read about Mantle, I am probably the target audience (weak CPU, okay GPU – AMD 640 quad, sack of RAM and a 270x)

6. gary
    February 4th, 2014 at 3:04 am

I think not all AMD systems
    i am getting 30fps now on Zavod map compared to 90 with 13.x drivers even on directx
    i guess we will have to wait another few month for this to be enhanced.

7. VoDa
    May 13th, 2014 at 6:43 am

Hi guys…
    I have BF4 wil janyuary patch on win 7 x64 with latest drivers 14.4 whql and i dont see the DX11/mantle switch in display setting in BF4… I have R9 280X from Gigabyte… How can i activate the mantle?? Or its in multiplayer only??

Thanks VoDa

8. CHuZ
    October 9th, 2014 at 3:27 am

October 2014. New drivers, new BF4 patch. BF4+Mantle still having ‘memory-leak’ issues and crashes.
    AMD’s customer care response: “it is not mantle, is BF4”.
    DICE’s official position: silence.