Battlefield 4 Premium sales top 1.6 million

EA reveals that BF4 Premium sales have topped 1.6 million to date.

Battlefield 4 PremiumPublisher EA neglected to disclose any Battlefield 4 sales numbers during their last earnings report, but the company did reveal how many Battlefield 4 Premium subscriptions it sold for the game.

EA has sold over 1.6 million Premium subscriptions to Battlefield 4, which means that the game has sold at least 1.6 million copies, of course. And since the majority of players don’t usually buy Premium, it means that Battlefield 4 sales are likely to be much higher than 1.6 million — which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

Last week, EA said that Battlefield 4 sales were in line with their expectations, and that the numerous quality issues did not affect sales of the game. While the sales may not have been affected by the issues, EA is now facing three separate lawsuits over the buggy Battlefield 4 release.

A lot of gamers have felt ripped off after buying a broken game, and we can imagine those who shed out an additional $50 on Premium feeling even worse. DICE has tried to remedy this by offering a Battlefield 4 player appreciation month for February, where all players get unlocks and free BattlePacks.

The BF4 Premium service costs $50 and includes all Battlefield 4 DLC free of charge, in addition to other in-game items.

1. BF
    February 4th, 2014 at 7:48 am

So, we can safely assume that they sold at least 3.2 million units.

2. Moody
    February 4th, 2014 at 8:02 am

Well… I’m glad that I’ve won BF4 and didn’t wasted any money for this game.
    Serously, even if BF4 would’ve been a bugfree game BF4 isn’t a full new game. It’s a BF3.5. Additionally no mod&map tools, no battlerecorder and I have to use origin and battlelog to access this game.

CoD has gone down the drain in 2008. BF is going the same way now :(

• quads
      February 4th, 2014 at 10:01 am

“CoD has gone down the drain in 2008. BF is going the same way now”
      BF went that road as soon as DICE took over the development of it…that was way before BF4.

• krokro
        February 4th, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I don’t agree, BFBC2 was the title before bf3, and it was great (but netcode was already poor). Regarding the general gameplay, bf4 is better than bf3. But bugs and netcode ruins everything. It could be a really good game..

• RCV
        February 4th, 2014 at 9:41 pm

What do you mean DICE took over development of it? DICE are the original creators of the Battlefield franchise…

• Ryaf
          February 6th, 2014 at 11:52 am

BF 1942 : Old DICE devs —> good
          BF2 : Old DICE devs with Trauma Studios —> Good
          BF 2142 : old DICE devs —> Awesome game
          BC1 : New devs with some old too –> Correct game
          BC2 : New devs with old devs —> Fun and good
          BF3 : New devs —> crap
          BF4 : New devs —> Completly crap

• bobthebuilder666
      February 5th, 2014 at 1:05 am

Mod tool rant is completely useless. Theres no need expand game’s lifespan when you can buy new one! Plus dlc money baby!!

February 4th, 2014 at 9:40 am

Agree its BF3.5 but worse. Sound looping on every other map, poor netcode and hit detection. Too many snipers. Not what I call fun anymore.

4. larry
    February 4th, 2014 at 11:33 am

So right now what does it get you?????? Double XP weekends? With delayed DLC there is any real reason to get it right now.

5. Fenway
    February 4th, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Assuming Premium sales at USD $50 average times 1.6M units – $80M.
    Assume 3.2M units of BF4 at $60 = $192M. Total gross *minimum* sales would be $272M (some folks paid more for Digital Deluxe.)

That’s a lot of dough for a product that was not ready-to-go out of the box.

6. Curious
    February 4th, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I’m curious as to what issues people are having? Maybe I just got lucky, but it’s not been buggy for me at all. The only major issues I’ve had (got it day one) was the server problem in November when the server browser would show no servers available, but playing quick match was all that inconvenient for a week or two. Forced me to play some different maps and game types.

• Crowd Mentality
      February 5th, 2014 at 7:57 am

Most people that complain are console users or PC users with dated hardware. I’ve had a couple crashes myself that were fixed by driver updates and reboots. Some of my friends are running very old PCs and get some extra crashing, but the ones with more powerful PCs seem to have no issues whatsoever (aside from the sound issues they’ve patched).

That being said, the netcode is still garbage. Killed behind cover, collision issues, etc. But the netcode is one specific problem and not that BF4 is overally super buggy.

7. Rich
    February 5th, 2014 at 2:10 am

I not only bought one but I bought another for my kid in USAF so we could play together. Neither one of us likes the game and its going to be the last BF for either of us. Really a total POS.

8. Jeff
    February 5th, 2014 at 7:27 am

Instead of battlepacks give-away, they should fix the framerate drops first (playing on PC) ! And what’s the use in being over equiped for the battle when there’s permanent lag and freeze ! Since last patch Operation Locker became almost unplayable on my side. A complete disaster ! And you guys at EA, be sure free unlocks didn’t change anything to the problem. In fact it feels like we just paid to be part of the world’s largest beta-testing campaign in video game history named “Battlefield 4″ !

9. Dylan
    February 5th, 2014 at 8:59 am

The game has worked just fine for me since day one. I don’t know what all the fuss is about, but hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All I got to say is I’m not complaining…

10. kc2keo
    February 5th, 2014 at 12:29 pm

The game runs fine on my PC but I just don’t enjoy it. BF3 was OK. BF2 = best… They just need a remake of BF2 with modern game engine. Lots of things just worked fine in that game. Sure there were glitches and stuff but it really felt just right with the Commander and Squad structure. In BF4 I don’t get that feeling of “Battlefield Moments (TM)”…Whatever, water under the bridge. Just don’t play the game anymore really and know I am not missed which is fine. I still like to read stuff on here along with peoples comments when bored…

11. gary
    February 6th, 2014 at 4:17 pm

good on them for making money.

the issue I have with premium is, why should non premium people have to play the same game as premium people, as clearly the premium guys are at an advantage, almost like legalized cheaters.

have separate servers and battlelog portals for premium and none premium and separate games and patches.

• Brad
      March 27th, 2014 at 5:58 am

Do you even know what comes with the Premium pack? A few extra camo patterns, some stupid dog tags, a knife or two, a few attachments for weapons that most people don’t even own yet, and some XP boosts.

How exactly is that cheating?

12. kleschun
    February 13th, 2014 at 1:22 am

How can they sell 1.6 mil Premium if there are only 1.1 mil players in total?

13. gary
    February 21st, 2014 at 2:54 pm

pay to win.

14. hi man
    March 2nd, 2014 at 12:15 am

Does anyone know if buying premium will give you access to all of the DLC’s for BF4. Is premium worth buying if it doesn’t come with DLC.

• khks
      March 9th, 2014 at 12:33 am

You will get all dlc if u r premium. Get premium if u love the game .

15. DARKKi
    April 8th, 2014 at 10:25 am

My friends bought Premium and only one of them received ~107 weapons. Is that normal?