Battlefield 4 Second Assault release date revealed by Origin

According to EA's Origin, the Second Assault DLC will launch on February 18th.

Battlefield 4 second assault release date

There has been some uncertainty regarding the upcoming Second Assault DLC for Battlefield 4 as we have to get an official release date from EA and DICE (besides the Xbox One owners with early access).

Now it seems that the Battlefield 4 Second Assault release date is set for February 18th, according to none other than Origin. A screenshot of the German/Austrian Origin shows the release date, however, this has not been confirmed — other versions of Origin in other countries don’t show a release date for the DLC.

Second Assault includes four popular BF3 maps remade for Battlefield 4: Gulf of Oman, Operation Firestorm, Operation Metro, and Caspian Border. Xbox One owners have already had access to the DLC, as part of Microsoft’s exclusive agreement with EA.

If the Battlefield 4 Second Assault release date turns out to be February 18th, it’s likely the date for Premium owners. Everyone else should have access by March 4th.

Hopefully EA will make an official announcement with a release date soon. We figure they’re trying to avoid any talks about DLC since that will open up criticism from players — e.g. why they are releasing new DLC when the game is still broken.

Be sure to check out some Second Assault gameplay videos while we all wait for the DLC to drop!

Thanks for the tip, Mark!

1. dually_ebda
    February 7th, 2014 at 10:16 am

Must have gotten the game all fixed up.since they said they wouldn’t release any DLC until it is working as expected. LMAO…… bf4 still runs terrible on my and most my friends machines.

• Toaster
      February 7th, 2014 at 10:42 am

All of my friends are playing just fine. Buy a real computer next time scrub.

• Joe
        February 7th, 2014 at 2:39 pm

@Toaster – It seems your feelings got hurt somehow?…to the point you had to result to name calling?

Relax little buddy…

• Moliat
        February 7th, 2014 at 6:23 pm

If you think the game runs just fine, then you’re the filthy casual here. Netcode is still horrible, still glitchy and still riddled with bugs. Doesn’t matter how good your computer is if the game’s coding is shit.

• burnttoast
          February 8th, 2014 at 4:24 am

Yea toaster scrub. Explain why ps3 freezes, and glitches? Hmmmm?

• Your mom ho
            February 9th, 2014 at 9:42 am

ps3 freezes all the time because its to shit of a console to handle the game, buy a better console scrub

• jay
            February 20th, 2014 at 10:13 am

the ps3 does that becoz the is meant to be played on the ps4. plus you need a new hard drive . game runs to hot . it uses everything 100% of the processor. on the ps4 its only like 25% . the only way to fix is to revert it back bf3 . and they cannot do it. why in the hell does xbox get the dlc first . playstation has allways got battlefield dlc first. that does not make sense .

• lickalot
          February 10th, 2014 at 11:34 am

I been playing since day one. my quit% is 2.1 play on max settings. its comes down to your pc and connection. my buddy next door was getting your so called net code crap. looked at his modem. was 8 years old. called cable co. got a new one. started up game what you know, smooth as butter. we both 110 now just waiting on dlc. so don’t bitch to someone that it still broken when 2 different pc’s are not having any problems. yes there is a few bugs i seen like the 0 health death but so what. respawn and kick some ass

• Chance
          February 10th, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Game runs perfectly fine for me. Has been ever since release.

• burnttoast
        February 8th, 2014 at 4:26 am

Really? You have special friends. The game has problems, admit it. Trying to act tough just makes you look dumb.

• Derpy
          February 9th, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Game runs fine, no need to complain. The only true problem is the one-shot, but that is just a damage multiplier glitch. (Headshots normally do x2 the damage, but it multiplies x10 or some crap)

Most people complain about netcode and I used to be someone that did. Until I got an upgrade to my internet connection.

Either get a good connection or stop whining about the game.

• Estacy94
        February 12th, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Buy console it works fine on there for me.

• jay
        February 20th, 2014 at 10:00 am

hey only hackers and cheater play on a pc . and still ps3 and ps4 play better haha

• RunningWitTACOS
      February 10th, 2014 at 9:00 am

ever since update 5…..I have t had any issues, glitches, freezes, or bugs on the 360 at all. I used to freeze almost every half hour and got kicked out of dawnbreaker everytime on conquest but havent had that problem since 2 months ago. and im not a casual player, i play maybe 6-10 hours every day. Just dont play Conquest people, Ive noticed that the only small issues i run imto is in Conquest. Otherwise team deathmatch, rush, and air sup. are all just fine. Its common sense if u dont like the game than play sumtin else or go back to your COD crappp you say this game sucks well look at every call of duty ever made……..INACCURATE WARFARE!

• ImWhite
      February 10th, 2014 at 10:35 pm

they halted development for all upcoming DLCs until the game’s fixed, “halted development”. Development and Releasing is obviously different.

• Matt
      February 13th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Mine works just fine. Buy a decent computer maybe..

• boeie
      February 18th, 2014 at 2:58 am

Dlc for ps 3 in market now ..enjoy

2. Smithy
    February 7th, 2014 at 10:37 am

They better release a new patch with this DLC.

3. Butters
    February 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am

So all the bugs are fixed? I had no idea

4. Danny markovsky
    February 7th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

i must say that the game is real good but there is still few problems with the netcode and the dmrs and the o health bug but they will fix that the already fixed a lot of things in the game maybe that going to be fixed in the patch next week its a real big patch

• TheHippotail
      February 7th, 2014 at 4:05 pm

The 0 health thing isn’t really a bug. The engine is just rounding the amount of health a person has (i.e. .4 health and below rounds down a number, .5 and above rounds up). IMO the DMRs have been fixed. They updated the damage models in a recent patch, which is really all they needed. Now they are good for medium-long ranges, and that’s it. They shouldn’t be CQB weapons

• Itsnotabug
        February 7th, 2014 at 10:28 pm

The so called 0 health bug is not really a bug. Its just a display error the player is not actually on 0 health or 0. whatever. Vsing a few friends they would complain “awww you had 0 health” when i actually had anywhere from 10-40 health. its more of a “damn 1 bullet away from killing you”

• blueberry
          February 10th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

yeah i was playing against a buddy and killed him, his screen said 0 health but i still had 70 health so it’s not literally people running around with no health everywhere. but it is still a bug because if it wasn’t a bugged then the correct health would be showing.

5. Peter
    February 7th, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Just booted up BF4 after a 2-month hiatus. Smooth as silk now, feels snappy and mostly just feels great! Still needs a little work but I had a good time playing BF4 finally!

February 7th, 2014 at 12:56 pm

New maps, same sound loop bug on every other map.

7. Camtron
    February 7th, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I play on an old Xbox 360 and the game runs fine. It has frozen a couple times when i’m in a party though. I can’t wait to upgrade to Xbox1 and try this whole 32 V 32.

8. Boner
    February 7th, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Well I know that us PS4 owners got a nice new update that was so fckd up that a lot of members lost sound. Ironic don’t you think, that it is February appreciation month. Hmmmmm is this a ” Keep your gamer’s happy stunt”.

9. [FDF]Gaming
    February 7th, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Game is fixed, you shoot blanks on purpose… and zombies (o hp) are ment to be there also. and every once in a while you to see only guns floating around on purpose =).cmon its cant be just me who experience these kind of problmes?… especially when this happens on my 2 pc:s and xbox360…

10. graham148
    February 8th, 2014 at 1:58 am

If you take a look on ps4 you can already see new assignments for 2nd assault also if you look in browser you can already see all the maps but just cant play them, so it must be coming soon.

11. Grimezyy
    February 8th, 2014 at 2:16 am

It’s funny really, hearing all these PC players who so often claim they get the best out of battlefield. I play every night with at least half a dozen friends and we have minor problems on ps4! Maybe that’s what you should all do, buy a ps4! If the games running horribly even on a ps4, then it might be your end that’s got the problem. Can’t wait for second assault! Woooop

• BL
      February 8th, 2014 at 8:40 am

Why would be lower ourselves and go backwards with hardware? Its ok when you grow up you might be able to get one, build one and experience a real gaming platform. Btw hows that 900p looking with BF4. 2560 x 1600 all ultra here on 30 inch display that costs as much as 4 PS4s alone.

• bman9669
        February 8th, 2014 at 9:38 pm

thats the thing… us PS4 users pay 4x less and still get a great experience. i did the PC thing and its really personal preference. i find games are more user friendly on console. just because you have a powerful PC dont mean crap in game play just visuals… id rather focus on killing the opponent then counting the blades of grass i see. IMO

12. AjaSos
    February 8th, 2014 at 5:47 am

All players must understund DICE dont repair net code dont hange game mechanix becouse this is not their goal : net code problem – in local network game work perfect, 0 power kill – this is network problem and design game

13. Mark
    February 8th, 2014 at 6:37 am

Dice is getting silly, they buffing the most annoying guns (DMR) and on the other side still letting every single map’s sky be spoiled within mobile AA dominating the sky as there wouldn’t be a possibility of 32 stingers… it’s getting ridiculous as the bf3 was getting within it’s silly nerfs and bufs… probably hearing the underaged ones again…

• bman9669
      February 8th, 2014 at 9:40 pm

dude you hit the nail on the head!!!

14. williamcrms
    February 8th, 2014 at 9:20 am

I’m glad that DICE has kept their word and have postponed SA until now to fix the game, instead of releasing it unfinished like everything else. Also like that they are asking the community for balancing and letting people ask the devs some questions. I still have a few issues with the game like interpolation (netcode) and not being able to get into pregame squads, but i can’t wait to try out the new maps. Thanks for working hard to patch the game DICE, but please just increase production and testing time in the future so we don’t have to wait months to play the finished product.

15. Jhueyz MAIN
    February 8th, 2014 at 12:26 pm

The games workes fine for me also. Occasionly get kicked out of server. In the beginning a lot, now almost never. And yes the netcode is still a bit crazy. But maybe they are almost there with the future patch. Otherwise they are not gonna release the next dlc.
    And also not a lot of trouble with the netcode. Sometimes but hey I don’t care because the game is playable for me.
    It the depends on the standards people need to such a level they don’t play the game any more if it sometimes glitches out.

But it’s my oppinion

16. brian
    February 8th, 2014 at 12:38 pm

It ain’t fixed yet its still freezes or crashes every 20 mins everytime

17. yawn
    February 8th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I have been doing Unix development and administration since 2000. I have a whole network of various computers, with various architectures and specs. After spending entire days writing code, the last thing I ever feel like doing is playing a game on PC.

I guess I’m getting soft, though. I used to think all gaming was a waste of time. Now I have a PS4, PS3, and an Xbox 360. I do not have a PC gaming rig. This is also due, in part, to me wanting to spend as little time as possible on any machine running Windows (which is inherently riddled with bugs). You can spend thousands of dollars on a pc gaming rig. I personally find it hilarious when people do that and all of a sudden think they are some sort of computer expert.

• Chron
      February 8th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

That may be true, but there’s plenty of other experts out there besides yourself who have spoken out about the issues, gone into details of why such bugs exist, with some even making suggestions on how to fix it.

Sure, buying a £2000 rig doesn’t make someone an expert, but that doesn’t discount the fact that there are a large number of other devs and field-specific experts out there that do have enough knowledge and experience to speak out about it.

If you want to at least encourage a reasonable discussion then you shouldn’t add lines like “Windows is inherently riddled with bugs” into the discussion without at least expanding on how you’ve come to that conclusion.

I could say “Unix is more open to exploit because it’s open source”, or “OS X has some major usability issues because it has a similar structure to Unix” but I’d be an absolute idiot for saying either of those things without expanding on why (especially since neither of them are true — e.g. open standards are often more secure than security through obscurity).

People aren’t prepared to let DICE or EA get away until they’ve fixed the bugs. Problem is that at least in the case of the whole netcode fiasco, many players will still see it as ‘buggy’ even when/if it is fixed. Even when/if explosives are tuned down, people will still blame those 1 in a million situations on bugs, even if it’s not the case.

I think everyone who’s played a game the series any time before BF3 (when the hit detection issues were first noticed before getting worse with BF4) knows that this isn’t what we should expect from DICE. Since DICE said they’d delay DLC until the issues were fixed, and we’re still waiting on that big announcement regarding ‘netcode fixes’ that was recently talked about, we’re wondering what’s actually going on. Add to that the delayed mantle update which was only worth talking about on the lowest end hardware (which I’d wager the vast majority of players aren’t using – I’d guess most at least have a dedicated GPU rather than an APU).

• yawn
        February 10th, 2014 at 3:48 am

Not all Unix is open source. You say unix and think open source re (Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc). You forget to mention (to name a few) IRIX, SCO, AIX, HPUX, and Solaris (which was originally closed-source, went open, then got bought out by Oracle and reversed again.). Does it mean that various flavors of *nix are totally bug-free? Of course not. There have been numerous exploitable bugs in both open and closed-source Unix distros. When I say Windows is riddled with bugs, that usually goes without saying. If you’ve followed IE at all for the last decade or two you likely have an idea how riddled. That isn’t my point either, though. My point is that if I run x86 Solaris, configure my own Kernel, firewall, and net services then the prospect of me getting hacked via buggy client-side software is much lower. Not impossible (anyone who says so is an idiot), but with a little knowledge and not much effort you can lock down a most variants of Unix.

With Windows, people are going to mostly rely on 3rd party software for security (which can actually introduce bugs as well as fix them). I like having a console and having my gaming experience separate from my work, data, ETC. I will say that Windows 7, though not my thing, was a step in the right direction but I’m sure now that 8 is out it is becoming obsolete. Not that it’s all Windows fault. But when I say ‘inherently buggy’ I say so due, in large part, to the wide-open nature and the default, run nearly everything, configurations it ships with. Are there seriously fans of Microsoft out there who actually defend Windows? I do have a single Windows machine, but try to keep it as isolated from the internet as possible and only use it to run certain software that I can only get on Windows.

• wgmann
        February 10th, 2014 at 6:46 am

i agree with you all the way sir! hardware is probably most of people’s problems but since even the best rigs still have issues its definitly software as well. and the game is not really finnished yet. dice didnt want to release it when they did but had to because ea presured them to. so i have no problem with the “bugs” they were bound to happen!

18. McGill94
    February 8th, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I have to say my bf4 runs perfect on my 360

But whenever you get on dawnbreaker it crashes 5-10 minutes in and pisses me off to the point of a full on rampage and very very rarely on shanghai but other than tht its a feckin masterpiece game

19. Tyrane
    February 8th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

it’s about time lol I’m sick of second assault I want a new dlc lol. I’ve been playing it for months now

20. bman9669
    February 8th, 2014 at 9:44 pm

ok here is my rant for tonight….. WHENNNNN will they fix the problem of you shooting a person with a tank shell in the feet and that said person surviving???? the splash damage of a tank shell is soooooo weak…..DICE fix this please its so irritating!!!!!!

• Tn0rr1s
      February 9th, 2014 at 12:23 am

^

21. Meggion
    February 9th, 2014 at 2:28 am

I can understand that some people have problems and it is indeed should be fixed but for those who have ZERO issues since release delaying Second Assault makes no sense.

22. KystalCraze - John Bradshaw
    February 9th, 2014 at 2:51 am

Have any of you heard of “Inspect Element” the tool that allows you to change anything on a page temporalily?

23. tom
    February 10th, 2014 at 12:44 am

So second assualt has a realese date i hope we don’t have as much trouble as th china raising dlc this new patch has made it worst for me as somtyms through a multiplayer game i get kicked then an error appears also when sum1 kills you with 0 health also sum of my mates are saying it crashes when you spawn into the passenger seat in a tank also for a game which makes so much money carnt even get the campaign ryt can understand muultiplayer having problems but when the campain keeps crashing that’s piss poor carnt wait for the 18th more crashes

24. wgmann
    February 10th, 2014 at 6:40 am

the “bugs” people seem to be having with invisible people in the begining of the rounds and not haveing your gun for a few seconds when u switch kits is just a result of the graphics not loading instantly on your pc/ console. watch gameplay on youtube of someone on a beast pc and you will notice that all map textures and characters and guns are loaded. the less powerfull pcs and xbox 360/ps3 are not that fast so it just takes longer for graphics to load its as simple as that…

25. Ashton
    February 10th, 2014 at 9:28 am

Playing ps4 i have had no problems with bf4. It plays fine, just release the map packs on time and fix the game inbetween. Either way its gonna take the same amount of time to get it done.

26. Fluttershy 429
    February 10th, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I have to agree with McGill94 I can’t even play Dawnbreaker anymore since I’m afraid that I’m going to have to restart my console or that it’s just going to fry it one day, Please Dice Please fix Dawnbreaker and nerf the 25mm cannons on the scout choppers at least against infantry since against vehicles that makes sense but when you repeatedly fet raped by the 25mm and there is nothing you can do to get away (since the splash damage/range is rediculous) it gets rather infuriating and impossable to do anything to fend for yourself and actually do anything to come close to winning

27. Johnny Neat
    February 10th, 2014 at 6:20 pm

BF4 plays light years better now than on release, but it still has issues. I play XB1 & PS4 and PS4 is the most stable of the two, but it kicks you out every 5th game or so. Weirdest thing. On XB1 it locks onto a blank screen if you try and quit a lobby and controller randomly and on its own inputs random commands, but I think that’s more of an XB1 issue as it happens in CoD:Ghosts too.

Second Assault has been exclusive to the Xbox platform for much longer than planned. It’s annoying to say the least. I’m not going to hold my breath for EA & DICE to change their current business model and game development. It’s a shame. Such an amazing franchise and experience turned into rushed money grab.

• Johnny Neat
      February 10th, 2014 at 6:25 pm

P.s. This whole buffing DMRs is a joke. Right now it’s a three way tie for what can be more annoying. Is it hardcore becoming a sniping campfest, losers getting on buildings & structures no one is or should be allowed to or DMR spammers with no skill running support class to make it even more annoying? Bravo DICE, guess BF3 wasn’t a good enough lesson.

28. Jeff
    February 11th, 2014 at 3:36 am

Seriously, yes they improved the game, yes it’s smoother, yes apparently they work hard to bring fixes (that sometimes generate new problems or bring back ancien ones…) but serious issues having impact on the gameplay are still remaining. So I didn’t spend money for China Rising and I’ll never spend a single coin for any BF4 add-on. Enough is enough… Not even angry actually, simply just really disappointed.

29. willy wonkaaa
    February 12th, 2014 at 11:55 am

Only thing for me is the freezing of dawnbreaker
    .. I do soo good on that map then freeze I pretty much leave every server after floodzone because of it I would think theey would fix the maps befor releasing more. Screw it tho id rather play second assault soonet tgen wait for the to fix 1 map

30. Estacy94
    February 12th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

The console version works fine for me its the pc “master race” that has the problems. Not so good is it.

31. Estacy94
    February 12th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

The PS3 version works fine for me its the pc “master race” that has the problems. Not so good is it.

32. jack
    February 13th, 2014 at 10:45 am

yeah….i want to pay for maps that i already own on 3. Come up with something original please.

33. battlefield dude
    February 13th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I’m selling BF 4 and going back to BF 3. BF 4 has been a dissapointment to me. I really enjoyed rush on bf 3 but the 4th one really screwed up the maps for rush. Its impossible to be sneaky or flank due to lack of space. I also hate r2/l2 being aim and shoot now. But this is just my opinion. And mine alone

34. EA bad company
    February 17th, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Anyone saying the game is working just fine are either noobs or they don’t know anything about proper FPS-games.

This video is not very good, but it explains many of the main problems. There is so much more which isn’t explained however, the variety of game breaking bugs for example.