EA doesn’t believe Battlefield 4 had a bad launch

EA seems to be completely oblivious to how badly the BF4 launch went.

Battlefield 4 Launch

According to a recent interview with EA’s Chief Creative Officer, Battlefield 4 did not have a bad launch, and says it was a “successful product”. Which is quite a statement to make, considering how everyone and their mother knows just how awful the game was at launch — so awful that EA is now facing three different class-action lawsuits over the launch of Battlefield 4.

In an interview with RockPaperShotgun, EA’s COO Rich Hilleman seems completely oblivious to the issues Battlefield 4 has been facing. RockPaperShotgun had the guts to really ask some tough questions to Hilleman, who kept insisting that Battlefield 4 was a successful product from the get go.

Hilleman says that he doesn’t agree that Battlefield 4 had a bad launch, and says the game has been successful both sales wise and gameplay wise. He might be correct on the first part, but certainly not on the second part.

We’ve previously heard from EA CFO Peter Moore that Battlefield 4 sales were in-line with their projections, but he didn’t say anything about the quality of the product.

It’s one thing to launch an unplayable game, but it’s a completely different thing to deny the issues. Battlefield 4 has set back the franchise quite a bit, and a lot of gamers will be wary of buying the next game in the series (us included).

If EA isn’t willing to accept that Battlefield 4 had an awful launch and try to fix things going forward, the same thing will likely happen with Battlefield 5.

You can read the full interview here.

February 16th, 2014 at 10:45 am

I didn’t have many issues like alot of others did at launch, but after about 6 weeks the problems with crashing and other bugs started mostly from the patches and steadily got worse. The sound loop remains now even after the latest patch. I’m playing Titanfall beta now anyway to care much about BF4 any more. May come back to it at a later date.

2. Driest
    February 16th, 2014 at 10:45 am

They are right about sales. Game was a hit! Definitely lived to that hype but bugs were absolutely everywhere. Game launch of technical view was critical. Many players went mad and even I will consider buying the next game after first discounts.

This mistake can not repeat in the feature.

3. ShavedApe
    February 16th, 2014 at 10:51 am

His statement isn’t that unexpected it did have a successful launch in terms of sales. If they hit their target figure for sales then they can call it successful regardless of how broken it is.

4. WOOT FTW
    February 16th, 2014 at 1:06 pm

It’s all about the pre orders. They made a lot of money on those because a bunch of fools pre ordered it. I pre ordered BF3 and it was glitchy and when I found out about the premium version, I realized how screwed over I was. Never Pre order an EA product. As long as they have your money, what needs to be fixed?

5. Leigh
    February 16th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

He knows exactly the quality of the game, but he has to maintain the lie to shareholders.

6. Sébastien Plante
    February 16th, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I liked BF2 a lot, I liked BF3 until it became pay to win… and I hated BF4. A guy who got it free with his videos card had hard time try to sell it for 20$. That give the idea!

• Meggion
      February 17th, 2014 at 12:49 am

Where exactly BF3 became pay to win ? Would you be so kind to elaborate on that one. As i don’t remember anything aside from premium dogtags, camos and a knife skin.

• Ten4
        February 17th, 2014 at 7:25 am

Pay and Hack. You know the people who are making good money off of FPS. That shit is everywhere. A simple search will give you everything you need to be king of the hill.

EA reminds me of LULU Lemon. Out of touch with it’s customers. Easy to lose, hard to get back.

• Skullhumper
        February 17th, 2014 at 9:53 am

He is talking about buying locked items through origin. You were able to buy all the locked items instead of playing the game to unlock the locked items. And yes this annoyed me too, took the fun out of playing hard to unlock items.

7. Rich
    February 17th, 2014 at 2:45 am

I was a sucker. I bought two copies for my son and I, “well a 3rd for some Russian hacker but got that money back”.

I learned many lessons. First people are stupid, which didnt surprise me. 2nd was “I: was stupid for pre-ordering, “which did surprise me”.

Fool me once shame on you………

• quad
      February 18th, 2014 at 12:22 am

Well put, sir. That said, it is easy to see in retrospect what you did wrong – it is a totally different story to REMEMBER not to redo, come next launch. Had people had longer memory, the clown cited in the interview mentioned above would not have been able to say that “BF4 did meet the goals set for sales”.

PS. No, I did not buy BF4 (and will never do – BF2 is more fun) and paying DICE/EA for a premium is a sin in my world.

8. mohammad
    February 17th, 2014 at 7:51 am

ea thieves need to be lashed by the whip to learn not to do this crap third time again .

9. Andy
    February 18th, 2014 at 1:31 am

I think they just dont give a damn about what the community thinks..
    I’ll be damned if i ever preorder an EA/Dice game

10. Jay Benedict
    February 18th, 2014 at 10:47 am

I play the game with a premade squad of five. At launch, it was guaranteed that at least one of us would crash to desktop when loading a new map. None of us were immune from it. Audio fell out frequently. Levelution triggers would boot half the server.

There were plenty of issues, but perhaps if he is getting sued he just doesn’t want to have admission of guilt.

11. dodo bird
    February 20th, 2014 at 9:20 am

we are all wearing the wrong hat and making assumptions that simply are not part of reality.

firstly the game waa a HUGE success, from an EA big wigs point of view. some seem to think the HORRID launch from a gamer perspective comes into play with him/them. hell no that is not even a consideration, you think they give a rats ass how many millions had major issues with BF4? really ? lmfao, the ONLY millions that they even remotely care about are the millions of dollars they raked in selling this game and various content packs.

wake the F**K up and realize EA does not care about you and your issues at all, and THEY NEVER WILL. EVER, EVER , EVER. . their track record for complete lack of care or consideration for paying customers is very well documented online.

• DutchDinosaur
      March 4th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

True that… I joined BF3 pretty late, so I never experienced all the really bad shit. I had some issues, but the game was very playable when I started playing. Foolishly believed BF4 would surely be better. With DICE having learned so many things of their past mistakes… woopsy…

What a load of crap BF4 is! But I’m wising up. Not buying EA or DICE again. It’ the only way to get back at them; not buying their half assed rush jobs again. Deal with your stockholders then… Buuut, that’s not likely to happen I guess. There’s always people who don’t know or that keep hoping…

I’m done with this game. To frustrating to waste my time on.

12. AfghakiPSN
    February 21st, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Well of course they won’t think it was a failure at launch, they made a crap ton of money. That’s a win win situation for them…

13. Manny
    February 21st, 2014 at 11:24 pm

This game is seriously defective. Every time they “fix” it, it gets worse. I can’t find any non-expansion pack servers that aren’t full. I can’t join empty servers. My Xbox freezes or crashes during games. Today, my controller stopped working during the Railway game. I couldn’t even turn the Xbox off. My friend’s PS4 is even worse with BF4. If they don’t fix this then I don’t know if I will ever buy another game made by Dice. I have always defended EA from overzealous finger-pointers, but this is getting ridiculous. Someone needs to be fired.

14. zzz-SandmaN-zzz
    February 22nd, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Sounds like Rich Hilleman could have quite the career in politics.

15. regan johns
    March 14th, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I am extremely disappointed in the new bf4 used to be my favorite game now I cant play one match without it screwing up freezing on me and I would like some recognition that you guys are actually doing something about it something needs to happen because I have loved every bf so far but as its sits if this doesdlnt get fixed I will never buy another dice game let alone bf