Battlefield 4 plagued by lag and rubber-banding

After the latest patch, the game has been plagued by rubber-banding and network issues, especially on the PS4.

Battlefield 4 plagued by lag and rubber-banding

Over the last week, we’ve seen numerous reports of lag and rubber-banding in Battlefield 4, especially on consoles. The reports seem to have escalated since the last patch, especially on the PlayStation 4 version.

Of course, rubber-banding comes down to a number of factors, including game servers, connection, player latency, and more. These problems seem to have been introduced with the latest patch, especially after the latest PS4 patch. We’ve played Battlefield 4 on the PS4, and can confirm serious lag and network issues. The game will stutter and often cancel out commands such as reloading, entering a vehicle, using the scope on rifles, and more.

The official forums for the PS4 version of the game on Battlelog are filled with reports on rubber-banding, lag, and connection issues. The problem doesn’t seem to be as bad on the PC and other versions, although there are some reports of increased network problems on the Xbox One as well. This could mean that the problems are a result of the latest server update.

As the videos below show, the rubber-banding effect, where the game seems to jolt back and forth, is especially prominent on larger maps with more players.

1. Slugger
    March 3rd, 2014 at 10:29 am

I don’t mean to hate on Dice, but I’m starting to wonder if BF4 will ever see a solid state for gameplay. I have to question whether they could fix a sandwich without breaking the kitchen…

I want to like this game, but it’s really hard.

• Ashley
      April 11th, 2014 at 7:15 am

I think you’ll find it’s EA who run the servers, or at least they did for BF3 and even on FIFA they have issues with servers, EA are terrible with servers but they don’t care about our thoughts so long as we’re buying their games! EA wind me up big f***ing time because they have their name in brilliant games but yet don’t care about the community!

• rogerthat1945
      July 9th, 2014 at 1:06 am

I love the game also; BUT
      How in heck freakin sdelfkqawnhert;voq8iyhasdvorghijsnl.ikgfjn bleep bleep bleeping bleep do I get out of BF4 “CONSOLE” which automatically appears in BF4 and locks me to the spot and kills me dozens of times?

I get that about twice a week. 50% of my game time is ruined by that GLITCH sd.lkjfhnqwvrtkih nrqeuri yb snekaing bleep.

2. YaKKO21
    March 3rd, 2014 at 12:34 pm

So true, haven’t been able to enjoy Conquest 32v32 action since I got my PS4. Hopefully this gets resolved soon‼️

March 3rd, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Battlelag 4 on all platforms.

4. Reader
    March 3rd, 2014 at 4:34 pm

So true. Ever since the patch release in January, I have found that the lag has become really bad. I now have to be much more strategic in the way I play, just to get a decent K/D every game.

• Alpha_Mongoose
      March 4th, 2014 at 7:56 am

You sir are just one of the problems with BF4, only concerned about your precious K/D ratio. Teamwork FTW. Go play COD!

• Scott
        March 20th, 2014 at 4:10 am

Don’t judge just because someone mentions K/D.
        I always PTFO and teamwork as much as I can and with friends, but I still strive to better my K/D as it’s just something I’d like to improve on.

• John smith
          March 20th, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Agreed. If you want to say join a clan, especially one that keeps a tight group, they will look at your scores and skills as an individual. If you have a K/D below 1.2 (if your lucky just 1.0) they wont even consider you for their group. as they say “A chain is only as strong as its weakest link”.

• bf master
      March 4th, 2014 at 7:59 pm

That is right, some times I get tired of the lag, the instant death, tired of shooting a whole mag to someone without getting a single hit marker then I decide is time to go camping

5. Reader
    March 3rd, 2014 at 5:00 pm

My PS3 just crashed. It has been crashing on average three times a day for the past 7 days.(Ever since I’ve started using the Jets routinely.)

Man, what the flip is going on?

6. mohammad
    March 3rd, 2014 at 5:25 pm

see ! what did i tell you people ? every patch they release no matter what platform you playing on it will die… & die… & die… in less than a month & everything will return to crap .

7. bman9669
    March 3rd, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Its so hard to like this game in this state. The game visually is fanomanal but game play is absolutely awful. 60 fps on PS4 my ass. Like that was the main thing that besides 32 vs 32 that I got it on ps4 for and it can’t even do that. I really don’t see this game ever being fixed.

• mossyoaktoe
      April 1st, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Dude, phenomenal.

8. seanzy89
    March 3rd, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Yeah, the game worked fine for me on the xbox one and was on a roll with it until the last update. Now I havent been into one game of any gametype without rubberbanding my way across the map. Love battlefield, hate the first year its out. Hope a patch comes out soon.

9. Jimboy
    March 3rd, 2014 at 9:00 pm

All I can say is that Bad Company 2 is now only 5€ on steam and you can redeem that on origin as well.
    I like BF4 but I’ll wait for the LA team to see if they are able to fix this. I have a feeling however that EA just doesn’t give a crap, and only assigned a few ppl to work on fixing bf4 while the rest is already doing future titles… money talks :S just look at Diablo 3 and loot 2.0 which made the game finally enjoyable. They could have fixed that before, but that would have made the AH not that important from which they got a ton of money. This is why I love indie devs, and kickstarter.

10. Tn0rr1s
    March 3rd, 2014 at 9:08 pm

For those that have owned the bf series for a while (I only started really playing this franchise a year after the release of bf3): So, I know that the third one had its fair share of problems during beta and post-release but was it ever to this extent? Wanna know if this is really unprecendented because I get the impression that it is…

• Tn0rr1s
      March 3rd, 2014 at 9:10 pm

By the third one I mean the last one (bf3)…my bad.

• El_cripix
      March 4th, 2014 at 12:31 am

Not really, BF3 was ugly at first, but they fixed it sooner than what bf4 is now taking. to be honest i liked the new patches back in bf3, they were about weapons, gadgets and vehicles tweaks, so you kinda had virtually new weapons every patch LOL.

• skullhumper
      March 4th, 2014 at 7:50 am

BF3 was bad, really bad when it came out but BF4 has more lag issues. BF3 was the same crashing disconnects and unable to join servers. BF3 didnt get completely fixed until the 2nd to last map pack release. Y do we get our hopes up for games we know is going to be glitchy. Premium pack is the last thing i am buying from EA/Dice and not buying anything else from them. Staying away from madden too!!!! I love BF and a veteran of BF but this is getting riddiculous. I have noticed not many ppl play anymore and only a handful of HC servers. Ea/dice killed this awesome game. Too bad

11. John
    March 4th, 2014 at 6:22 am

I’m getting rubber banding A LOT on my Xbox one, and its sad because other than that the overall game play seemed to improve…

12. WOOT FTW
    March 4th, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Don’t preorder a game ever again people. That gives them your money before you get their product. It’s backwards.

13. jargon
    March 5th, 2014 at 2:56 am

you mad bro? :P

14. 7thfret
    March 5th, 2014 at 5:27 am

TITAN READY!

15. Don
    March 5th, 2014 at 2:27 pm

i can confirm PC one is HORRIBLE after last patch. Every server is literally unplayable due to rubberbanding. I got 64Mbit internet with like 10-20ms pings on EU servers and every single one is rubberbanding like crazy. And no, i have 0 packet loss.

16. Mike
    March 8th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I too would like to play the new “Titan” mode but am not sure I want to pay for the expansion to do so! I don’t get a lot of playing time cause I have kids and a job so when I sit down and it’s doing this crap, it kind of ticks me off.

17. grksuperleague
    March 11th, 2014 at 5:37 pm

seriously how does it keep getting worse? Just fix the F-ing problem and stop releasing extra content until its fixed!!!!!!

18. Arie
    March 11th, 2014 at 9:55 pm

When I first got my ps4 last week battlefield worked perfect. But now it gets worse and worse everyday. Its sad that the ps3 version works way way better. I have had to resort to sniping in order to even play and I hate sniping. Fix this pile of crap

19. steven105
    March 15th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

this will be the last battle field I ever buy. you guys would be stupid buying the premium. at least call of duty you can play. battlefield was definitely a big mistake buying it.

• dre
      March 17th, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I agree

20. dre
    March 17th, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Ok look everyone if it get fixed great it should be fixed if not dont ever preorder a battlefield game again i mean for me i will read reviews after reviews for now on before i ever preorder battlefield game most games shouldnt be preordered unless u k it will work right or be fixed right away look im sure they are tryn and workn hard on it but its are money and time down the drain they got paid reminds me of a scam we got scammed i guess i mean the potential of battlefield is amazing but its not playable still after many patches i thought it was bad on ps3 but its just horrible on ps4 just crazy

21. dre
    March 17th, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Now i want too say it looks amazing in has huge upside but its just very very laggy in vehichles when running just not playable for any normal person it needs fixed im guessn it cant be fixed by now so i bought it with season pass and now im just stuck checkn on it every now and again See if it got fixed

22. Rubberband man
    March 20th, 2014 at 8:08 am

I was playing on my ps4 last night and it kept doing this. How the hell am I supposed to shoot down anything in a jet when this is happening? Complete bs.

23. elM
    March 23rd, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I am a huge fan of all bf games. I am played bf 3 on a regular basis and was so excited for bf4, however, if you don’t fix this laggy rubber band issue, I will NEVER play bf again. In fact, I will go back to COD permanently and advise EVERYONE I come into contact with to do the same. How the f*ck can they even entertain the idea of expanding the destructible environment before resolving this ridiculous issue. YOU ARE RUINING YOUR LEGACY. Fix this issue NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. crashandburn
    March 26th, 2014 at 9:21 am

I so wish my wife would let me try this game. I wish she would let me get PS4. I wish she would stop controlling me. I am just a glove puppet and she is the hand.

• unikorn
      April 27th, 2014 at 9:08 am

Grow some balls dude XD but trust me you don’t want to buy not unless they fix these issues

• castortroy26
      July 13th, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Just like a Playstation guy

25. NiteVisionNasty
    March 26th, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Im having the same problem on PS4 I tried playing Naval Strike and I couldn’t make it through the match and eventually quit. This really irritates me because BF4 is great game if they can ever get it to work properly.

26. bauhaus
    March 26th, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Looks like my original lag issue isn’t as bad now but the rubber banding makes it unplayable on pc.

27. Alan
    March 27th, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Rubber rubber rubber rubber rubber rubber rubber rubber rubber.

That’s my BF4 experience nowadays. Damn you EA.

28. Hussain
    March 29th, 2014 at 11:52 am

This game on ps4 is unplayable on all maps and game modes. A few months ago, conquest large was fine, no rubber banding. Then that went to shit and I had to resort to just playing rush. Then that also went to shit, and I played domination. Now, literally nothing is playable. It’s seems like their “patches” make the game more and more unplayable every time they come out. I really regret buying this game now, I should’ve just kept my xbox 360 and played battlefield 3 until they fixed this crap game. Atleast in bf3, it was actually PLAYABLE, Which is kind of important when it comes to video games.

29. Joe
    March 30th, 2014 at 8:51 am

EA and Dice have been investigating this issue for months now. I saw a thread in the battlelog forums addressing this issue dated to Nov 2013. Why does it take 6 months and still no fix? They release Naval Strike without addressing the rubber banding and now they have the original game and three expansions that have problems. Ive noticed for me at least that the issue is mostly on the 64 person servers. EA has our money, what do they care!

30. ADAN SIERRA
    March 31st, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’m not buying premium for bf4 in xbox one nor any expansion either.. I’m better keep playing myself in the 360 and having awesome moments with my friends in the meanwhile.. in fact I’m not buying ANYTHING for bf4 until Dice fix all the issues.. it is frustrating to play bf4 in the xbox one nowadays. }:(

31. Dman
    March 31st, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Would we all agree that the quickest way to fix this is to cap matches at 54 players and boost the servers a bit would prob help no?

32. Chipsmaster
    April 7th, 2014 at 8:58 am

Stopped playing it, totally unplayable even when changing network smoothing to 10% still total tosh, if everyone is moaning on all platforms, why is nobody telling us or giving us a smidgen of information

33. bigfatdave
    April 7th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

It shouldn’t be a case of “i hope they sort it out soon”. I paid for the game then like a fool I paid for premium and all I ever get is lag. You can’t use vehicles easily, you cant swap weapons easily… well you just cannot do anything easily. How is this even allowed? Why are they not showing support for their users and doing something about this rather than keep trying to shove premium content down our necks.

Dice should have released a fully functioning game but what we got instead was a half cooked bag of lag and it clearly seems like they do not care.

COD might be an awful game but at least you can play it.

34. LoCoInDaHeAD X3
    April 12th, 2014 at 5:19 am

My bf4 experience is officially not fun AT ALL!!!! Dice has officially ruined bf4 for me. Every single game I get into lags so much , the type of lag I wouldn’t wish on even my worst enemy. Dice, if you’re reading this…you suck. When ever I play bf4, the bat that I usually keep in my room , I bring it down to my garage because I know if I play even just one game of bf4 on your God forsaken servers with that bat in my room I would smash my tv and xbox into oblivion. So dice…buddies…if you’re reading this get your crap together or hire a bunch of guys who actually can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!….chumps.

35. SlimShady
    April 12th, 2014 at 8:37 am

I am also tired of this game. I was a fan of bf3 and was really looking forward to bf4 on the ps4. However the constant netcode issues makes it almost unplayable. I mean if i lose a gun fight fare and square I’m ok with that however if i lose one because I’m firing and getting NO hit markers or getting blasted behind walls, problems with ADS, the list goes on and on… that pushes my buttons.

I hope they get this game fixed and playable but we’ve all been saying this since the games release 6 months ago, so I’m not holding my breath.

36. LoCoInDaHeAD X3
    April 12th, 2014 at 1:39 pm

37. gameboy75
    April 13th, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Why do I get the feeling every multi player game is going to be complete bs on the “next gen” consoles. By the way the PC I bought last year is graphically superior to the PS4 and I mean noticeably in all respects and it runs smoother and better online generally but less players. PS4 and xbone are not next gen they are the equivalent of £40 upgrade on a PC equivalent of a PS3. Not good machines unfortunately and even worse software developers. No good games are coming honest. Its all bs save your time and do something fun

38. C0pperh6ad
    April 15th, 2014 at 8:52 am

It is so bad for me that again, like everyone here, we have lives and we want to enjoy this game. SO FRUSTRATING – Rubberbanding to a point where I thought my old PS3 was broken or not have processing powerful enough to support BF4 online.

I even changed my ISP and my ping is consistenly around 14ms with no packet loss!!!!!! 20 Mbs downlink and 2.5 Mbps uplink which was plenty for BF3 and at the beginning of BF4!!!

Since 2 months now, I am suffering from the EA server disease big time.

39. Joshua Wedlake
    April 15th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Ps3 bf4 lagged horrendously but I upgraded to ps4 . In mid February and have experienced ZERO problems with rubberbanding of bullet collision detection..don’t know if it’s just me but ps4 had no problems at all on my end.I have 30.mps internet and the ps3 version was terrible

40. Roy
    April 17th, 2014 at 5:56 am

Yeah, it’s hard to enjoy a game that consistently lags and or kicks you. It’s frustrating when you die because you can’t even crouch.

41. Jess
    April 21st, 2014 at 5:18 am

Had to stop playing yesterday on ma PS4.

Very frustrating

42. Jake
    April 22nd, 2014 at 4:52 pm

and they wonder why I haven’t bought premium yet…what good are more maps and content when the gameplay is like this. I just upgraded my internet too and that had no impact :( working with 50mb/sec down 25/mb sec up

43. Hertz(-FG-)
    April 26th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I’ve been playing the Battlefield series since their first game (1942). For many Bf3 was their first battlefield game. So to answer some questions, no, it hasn’t always been this awful. The franchise started on the PC, and it was superb to say the least. Every DLC (back then they were called Expansions) actually worked.

But as the dawn of consoles has come, they’ve drifted to monetary goals, not just good, fun games. It’s hard being from the era of when games had a fun aspect to them, now its just goals and profit. 100% competition. But as stated before, this isn’t Dice’s fault. No, they make excellent games. But EA has been a criminal for a good while now. And this has been happening for years. Alas, EA has never felt the sting of letting its consumers down. And sadly the only way to impact them is to stop buying. Which also affects the developers who are not bad.

And I’m not pushing that the console is better then PC debate. god no. But in all honesty the era of consoles has brought along with it very severe problems for the gaming industry that may have been avoided. i think everyone should be able to have a good PC and try the new games, and old games for that matter. There’s many old titles out there that are still very good, even for today’s unrealistic standards.
    /end rant

44. WNF
    April 28th, 2014 at 1:00 pm

399 euro for the ps4
    54,95 euro for the game
    49,99 euro for premium membership, to get some decent maps
    49,99 euro for playstation plus, to play multiplayer

And what do you get in return?

Laggy servers, black screens and servers that keep on failing.

Thanks, no EA-games for me anymore at this rate.

45. Aidan
    May 1st, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Well this game lag’s on my computer works fine testing range but when I go online I cant shoot anything and I get kicked after 5 minutes . but for my dad who plays this his game runs smooth and fine so dice plz plz fix this or ill ask for a refund

46. Frank
    May 8th, 2014 at 7:48 am

When are people going to realize that the vast majority of issue with this game are due to out of region players? Region Lock or Ping Limit and watch your bullets actually work!

47. chris
    May 26th, 2014 at 3:22 pm

People need to stop buying games from EA fifa 14 has the same glitches fifa 12 had, Except when ultimate team breaks it can be fixed the same day because of how much money it makes them
    Battlefield 4 seriously bad company 2 was a more polished game than bf4 on xbox one constantly seeing players rubber banding dice/EA refuse to region lock the servers so people from the other side of the world jump into euro servers because they can kill you before they go around a corner and are virtully unkillable getting stuck in scenary 5/6 attempts to climb out f the water on flood game is junk they should be embarassed but all they see is how much ££££ its made

Anybody who buys bf5 is stupid EA will never change

48. Blah
    June 15th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Yeah, it gets nearly unplayable. I was trying to drive a tank, and it wouldn’t budge, and I eventually got blown up just because of the lag. Also, I’d jump from a helicopter, open my chute, and come to the ground, but the next think I know, I’m a foot from the ground, and I die. Come on EA, fix your servers!

49. Jason
    June 24th, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Seems the lag is back.

50. bryce
    June 30th, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Well I hate to say I but I do not like bf4 now the lag wasn’t to bad at release for me but after January that’s just gone to shit and I cant even play without getting one shoted from a guy using a shotgun across the freaking map so im done with the bf series unless the new one doesn’t have bs connection problems I just find that like u guys are saying dice and ea have killed this game forever unless visceral can revive it somehow

51. Robert
    July 1st, 2014 at 9:05 am

I just tried to play online with my Xbox360 and every game, every server, every player, is experience extreme rubber banding and lag. There is a problem somewhere and it isn’t my internet connection

52. AK
    July 1st, 2014 at 10:09 am

Kiss my ass EA. You lost a fan, customer, and supporter.

53. Rols
    August 5th, 2014 at 12:51 am

I gave it another go after not playing for 3 months and it’s still a laggy mess. Getting one shotted and even losing a gunfight when I camp and ambush some one who takes a whole mag and turns around and kills me with one shot. COD: Ghosts is even more rubbish with campers. A bad year for FPS. I’m playing KZ:SF which at least keeps the lagging to a minimum.

54. coco
    August 8th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I didn’t have any problems before but since the past 2 days, BF4 is pretty much unplayable on ps3. It lags, glitches, suddenly I appear somewhere else on the map, I die pretty much instantly, I unload my whole mag into a Lvl 1 and nothing happens. It sucks because it was a fun game, just no point in playing.

55. Bambismurfen
    September 11th, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Pretty much the same thing for me,it worked perfectly for 3 weeks. I played nearly every night and just a couple of days ago this “Rubber-banding” comes out of nowhere…. Really killed the game”/