Battlefield 4 shipped with “dirt all over it”: Oddworld creator

"How do you take that fucking jewel and ship it with dirt all over it?"

Battlefield 4 shipped with

Battlefield 4 had an awful launch. There’s no denying that — the game was broken and unplayable, but EA has consistently stated that it didn’t affect sales and that the Battlefield brand wasn’t damaged.

The bugs in Battlefield 4 have been so bad that even other developers noticed. Some have spoken out about it, like Oddworld-creator Lorne Lanning. In a recent interview, Lanning said that Battlefield 4 shipped with “dirt all over it”, adding “How do you take that fucking jewel and ship it with dirt all over it?”

Lanning didn’t pull any punches when talking about Battlefield 4. He said:

“Why did Battlefield 4 ship? You know that team was crying. You know that team knew that game wasn’t ready to go. You know that team fucking spent a lot of sleepless nights building that shit out to look as good and play as good, when it was able to be experienced, being played as they were intending it to be played.”

See also: Battlefield 4 budget was $100 million

He added that “someone made a decision that shareholders are more important than customers”. Ex-DICE developer David Goldfarb joined in, adding via Twitter that BF3 shipped with dirt all over it, too. As we recall, BF3 was plagued by bugs and issues, but at least it wasn’t as bad as Battlefield 4.

Recently, DICE announced that Battlefield 4 Naval Strike was delayed on the PC because of quality control issues.

Via VG247

TAGS:

March 27th, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I had more problems with the game after the first month than at launch. The first 30 days were great for me, no crashing or sign of bugs. Then that went to hell in a hurry. Now its just down to poor netcode and bad hit detection same thing really.

2. ScreamFace
    March 27th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Yeah for me the main issue is just the netcode now which sadly I think at this point is something that’ll never be fixed.

I was annoyed at BF3’s netcode but that plays and handles amazing compared.

3. mohammad
    March 27th, 2014 at 5:45 pm

amazing….. & you know what more people like this guy need to speak out loud against ea .

4. They call me God
    March 28th, 2014 at 12:38 am

A lot of what Lanning says is true, but, said so ineloquently he just makes himself sound and come across like a bigger retard than EA’s board of directors.

5. bman9669
    March 28th, 2014 at 4:43 am

you know if dice just released more DLC with bf3 i would of been happy to wait for bf4 plus it would of given them the time they needed. like im sure they had more maps mad that nvr made it into bf3 so the could of made moe DLC and had another yr to work on this game to make it right….but nooo shareholders had to make them rush it to compete with call of shitty!! and now look there going to release another COD in the coming months and here BF4 is unplayable and in horrible condition game play wise and no going to compete at all with it so what was the fkn point EA??? i tell you one thing they will see how bad BF was affected when the next one launches…mark my words!!

6. ThePurpleClown
    March 28th, 2014 at 8:36 am

Wow…just posted this to Battlefield’s Facebook and got banned from the comments section. so much butthurt, DICE.

7. Johnny Neat
    March 28th, 2014 at 12:03 pm

That’s my experience since this Naval Strike DLC. Unplayable. I gave up. Luck for me I own both consoles so I’m playing Titanfall and not Call Of Duty: Same Old Same Old till BF4 gets straightened out a bit. I have no faith BF4 will ever play as it was intended though which is horribly sad for such an awesome game.

8. WOOT FTW
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Off topic here. But has anyone else seen a lag spike with BF3 on 360?