Battlefield 4 sells 7+ million, only 2% are still playing

The active player base is dwindling, likely a result of all the issues with the game.

Battlefield 4 sells 7+ million, only 2% are still playing

According to player tracking from various platforms, there are a total of 7+ million Battlefield 4 players out there who have played a multiplayer match at some point since launch. Of those 7+ million, only 150,000 have played in the last 24 hours. The number is slightly higher if we go back 48 hours.

Battlefield 4 active players

An active player base of 150,000 players represents just 2% of all players in the last 24 hours, or 3% in the last 48 hours. Which is quite a disappointment, to say the least. Of course, depending on how you look at the numbers, the active player base could be higher, as some might only be playing once a week or so. Nevertheless, this few active players at any given time is a concern.

Despite releasing several expansion packs, the ongoing problems with the game — netcode, bugs, glitches — have resulted in lots of players giving up on battlefield 4, just six months into the lifetime of the game.

EA has claimed that Battlefield 4′s problems did not hurt the franchise, but the numbers prove otherwise. We’re certain that many of those players who left the game won’t be quick to buy the next game in the series.

Total sales of Battlefield 4 are likely higher than 7 million, since some players only played singleplayer and never bothered to try the multiplayer.

1. Hadfield
    May 1st, 2014 at 11:45 am

You picked a Thursday morning to grab this statistic? And very early Thursday morning it seems as the number has risen significantly to:

PC – 48672
    PS3 – 40293
    XB360 – 20811
    XBONE – 17335
    PS4 – 46714
    Total – 173825

Seems pretty good for a time when most of North America is still at work/ school. You’d be better served by grabbing the number of players during or just after East Coast prime time.

• Kutark
      May 1st, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Seriously dude? Even if we were extremely generous and quadrupled that number for picking on a weekend, say fri/sat 48 hour period, AT BEST we’re talking 10% of the people who purchased the game are still playing it.

Thats still a HUGE issue, and clearly supports the fact that the game is in an entirely unplayable state.

Honestly i’ve never been one of those people who felt like class action law suits against games for crap like this has been warranted until now. I would sign up on that in an instant.

• Hadfield
        May 1st, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Like others have said below, the numbers from BF4 stats are players at a given MOMENT. It’s not an aggregate (total) number of players for an entire day/ week/ month or whatever metric.

A more useful way to look at this data would be to say that at any given (randomly chosen) moment throughout the day there’s at least 2% of the total population playing. If we add the following(admittedly baseless but not entirely unreasonable) assumptions, we can then draw meaningful conclusions:

1) At least 2% population playing at any given time
        2) Any given player in that 2% plays for one hour and only one hour every day

That would mean that any given day has at least 48% of the total population playing for an hour every day. If we were to take BF4C’s given number of 7 million copies in the wild, that’s 3.36 million people playing every day.

I admit that my methodology is overly simplified and doesn’t take many variables into account, but it should serve as a very rough thumbnail sketch or estimation. Now, we could move either figure in the assumption up or down but they would still be a number far, far higher than the numbers in the article above.

• Really
          May 2nd, 2014 at 2:52 am

… I got a headache by just reading this comment. The only thing you had right was the word “baseless”, the rest is just wrong on so many levels I don’t even know where to start.

• lolwhat
          May 2nd, 2014 at 10:57 am

Here is a chart of players playing over the course of months: http://imgur.com/HmaBKT3

Notice the steady decline.

• Tn0rr1s
            May 3rd, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Interesting lolwhat…albeit not surprising haha. Watch Dogs, Doom online and Wolfenstein campaign are calling my name.

• Hadfield
            May 4th, 2014 at 1:28 am

I think you’re confused by what the numbers actually mean. The figures in both the original charge and the graph you linked are for the number of users that happen to be online at the same time and not the total number of players for the day.

Think of it like a theme park where you have in and out privileges. The amount of people that happen to be inside the park at any given moment will fluctuate the entire day as people come in for the first time, leave the park to to go their car or grab something to eat, and then come back in. Everyone does this at their own leisure. The number of people inside the park would be the *simultaneous* user amount. The amount of admission tickets sold that day would be the *unique* user amount. This could mean that Disneyland could have only 15k people inside the park at any given moment but had 25-30k separate individuals that entire day.

Your graph just shows the trend monthly for the number of *simultaneous* users online. Again, it doesn’t show the total amount of *unique* users for the day. In fact, the graph states that there are ALWAYS at least 110.7k players online simultaneously. To get this number you simply add up the min. values. On average, there’s about 178.4k users online at any given time.

If we assume each player plays for one hour each day, this would mean there’s at LEAST 2.66 million different accounts playing BF4 each day. With that same assumed play time of one hour daily, your chart shows an average of 4.28 million different accounts playing each day.

Other interesting facts:
            -Simultaneous users actually do peak during weekends as shown by the roughly four peaks each month
            -It looks like there’s around a 30k simultaneous user difference between the middle of the week and the weekend
            -Barring the launch and what looks like Player Appreciation month events, the number of simultaneous users seems to have held relatively steady with a slight downward trend of roughly 25% from October to March 26.
            -PS4 numbers seem to have held the steadiest with 360 dropping off the most dramatically.

• Tn0rr1s
            May 4th, 2014 at 2:04 am

Yea but at the same time the stats are pretty significant enough and if you extrapolate those numbers from the beginning you’ll find that it’s still pretty bad especially for a new game. Least in my book…

• Tn0rr1s
            May 4th, 2014 at 2:08 am

Tho I’m just looking at PC also..

• Haha Rlly
      May 1st, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Like Kutark said, your total was 173K, the article says 150k – that 20k doesn’t mean shit when compared to 7 MILLION sales. Unreal that you even tried to argue that point.

I still want to know how many of that 7 MILLION were pre-orders before we all knew how poor it was, even though EA/DICE doesn’t care because they got their money.

I wouldn’t say it’s unplayable at this point, but it sure isn’t anything to be excited about, I bought Premium and don’t even really give a shit about the last 2 expansion packs. Thanks for ruining the BF series EA/DICE – have fun ruining Battlefront.

• Hadfield
        May 1st, 2014 at 6:41 pm

My total was 173k for that MOMENT in time.

Please read my second reply above.

• dam11232
          May 2nd, 2014 at 3:51 am

what u think the 150k meant? it meant for that one moment in time

2. Trb
    May 1st, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Nuff said…Watch Dogs anyone?

3. SH
    May 1st, 2014 at 2:21 pm

It seems like you added the “Peak(24h)” numbers to get to 150000. This number means peak number of simultaneous players, the total count of unique players in the last 24h can be much higher than this.

4. Otis
    May 1st, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Listen, child. You don’t get to cherry pick your statistics to make your point stronger. That’s dishonest. Be ashamed of yourself.

May 1st, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Surprising seeing PC is on top with the most players with so many console noobs out there you would think consoles would far outpace PC. Game is playable but still poor netcode and bad hit detection with too many snipers on every server to be any fun. I play maybe a couple hours a week at most now.

6. DutchDinosaur
    May 1st, 2014 at 4:16 pm

It’s a miracle there’s still people playing!

• ad
      May 1st, 2014 at 5:40 pm

hhhh right

7. jak
    May 1st, 2014 at 4:38 pm

48k people playing on average, that’s just from europe. It’s half that in North America during prime time on PC.

8. Rhem
    May 1st, 2014 at 5:16 pm

The game has issues no doubt but I have played worst. This is the result when you serve a wine before its time. I don’t think they will put another game out before its time.

• DutchDinosaur
      May 2nd, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Really?? You still believe in Santa aswel? Aa far as EA & Dice are concerned BF4 was a huge succes. Wake up! The game was, is and will remain a piece of shit. They are not going to fix it, the next one will be just as bad or worse and people will continue to buy this crap believing it will get better. And so EA and Dice will continue to to get away with this.
      I love the idea of BF but the game is dead. I hope some other studio will jump in the void with a working fps.

9. Ksh12
    May 1st, 2014 at 5:42 pm

This is a total misconstruction of these statistic numbers. Those numbers are about the players who actually playing the game at that given moment and you can be sure that just about every single second players stop playing and others start it. So these numbers are not about the total numbers of players, just the actual gamers at that time.

10. Ksh12
    May 1st, 2014 at 5:52 pm

In this case it would be much more accurte to examine the individual players number let’s say for a seven day period.

11. Broham
    May 1st, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Not even D-list console FPS’s like Killzone wants to hang out with this piece of shit. Battlefailure Four is what happens when you hire a rock to code games.

12. LoneGunman74
    May 1st, 2014 at 9:13 pm

BF4 is dying. At least half the servers in my “Favorites” are empty–and these aren’t no-name servers. Quite a few of the people in my friends list haven’t played in weeks or months.

13. Moody
    May 2nd, 2014 at 2:08 am

Guys, check out Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm (for PC) which is way better than every new Battlefield game…!

14. JawZ
    May 2nd, 2014 at 3:38 am

im pretty sure bf3 and bc2 had these sort of numbers too, 6 months after release.

15. SamRock
    May 2nd, 2014 at 4:15 am

Bottom Line is EA still got our MONEY (from 7Million players) ! Do you really think they care if even 1% player are online right now?

We have to cut the root.. stop buying their future BF games.

• DutchDinosaur
      May 2nd, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Amen!

16. Arithon
    May 2nd, 2014 at 4:17 am

“Despite releasing several expansion packs, the ongoing problems with the game”

should read

“Because of the milking of expansion packs, ignoring ongoing problems with the game..”

Fixed it for ya!

17. Steven Cotter
    May 2nd, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I havent played in 4 months. Everytime I log on to play a game or try out new map pack. I rubber band so bad. Im done with battlefield series for awile no matter how well EA tricks us with their commercials for BF. I have xbox one and 360

18. Rich
    May 2nd, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Never again will I buy from this Bow-Wow outfit.

19. John
    May 2nd, 2014 at 7:43 pm

This is my last Battlefield purchase….

20. Joe Seijo
    May 3rd, 2014 at 6:31 am

Battlefield 2 was the last good game in the series. Once consoles got involved, it was all downhill from there.

21. Flownage
    May 3rd, 2014 at 11:46 pm

On the PS4 I think BF4 is pretty good actually. I don’t really care that “only” 45000 players are online at a given moment. That’s still like 700 full servers (64 players). And I really like naval strike.

I haven’t played BF3 but I remember from playing BF2 on the PC there were quite a lot of issues as well from the start, right?

Anyway, I do like the game and maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve only had one error in playing the game for 5 months.

22. Carlos
    May 4th, 2014 at 4:57 am

Battlefield 5 confirmed for E3 2014!!!

Developer DICE is “not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4,”

an EA representative told IGN.

Right….!

23. Royal Mons
    May 4th, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I have never played BF4 and while I have to use Origin I will never play another EA game EVER!.
    I purchased BF3 and did not play it for a while and EA deleted it after I had paid for it in Origin so goodbye EA and Origin and BF4. You will not be getting anymore $$$$$$$$ from me.

24. Ruben
    May 5th, 2014 at 4:31 am

Hi All,

I just wanna say that I am pretty good with numbers and I truly believe HADFIELD is completely right. The writer of the article does clearly NOT know how to interpret the numbers.

Indeed the numbers refer to ‘a snapshot’. It is not the total numbers playing over the course of the day. Even te ‘avg numbers’ are the avg number playing online every second of the day.

These numbers are still phenominal!

And by the way, I never really had any bf4 issues….nor did all my clan mates. Is it really that bad??

cheers!

25. Rich
    May 7th, 2014 at 1:20 pm

At this stage of the game I think they are better off only writing for consoles for all their future products. I am right in saying CODs next offering is for consoles only right?

Mostly its kiddies who play consoles and they are not discerning like older PC players are, cause after all who gives a shit when its Mommies money buying the game? Plus youngins arent to bright and BF can sell to them even after screwing them with BF4. kids just dont know any better.

Plus they are the future not old guys like me. And “old guys” dont like catching it in the pooper from a dishonest scam company.

26. Biomatic
    July 16th, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Personally i love bf4 on my ps4. Have been a constant bf player on console since bc2 . Sure there have been a few issues but i find the bf series so damn good. Can always find a server and at least when i do shit i can blame it on the game lol.

27. Not a fanboy
    July 25th, 2014 at 12:08 am

Well, BF4 is dead on PS3 at least. But guess what?!?! BF3 is back LOL all my play list went back on BF3. And like millions of players as stated “Better keep building DLC’s for a game engine that as been fixed then starting a whole new game engine that is broken.”
    Any one fighting along side with EA/Dice over BF4 are a total dumb ass brainwashed fanboy OR he is working for them.

LOL

28. Lolipopdapooper
    August 7th, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I play around 3 hours a day cuz I get bored of life. Then I get bored if battlefield and then I try to do something else and as a last resort go back to battlefield . I don’t want to play as long as I do but battlefield is my last resort